What to look for on a 240

I am going to look at a 240 today its a white fastback

The body has like no rot, but what are the common problems on 240s

I know the usual stuff to look for when buying a used car like kicking the tire, but is there anything specific to look for on 240s

What years and models come with the stock LSD?

A big issue is rust…make sure the frame is solid…on the frame rails etc.

I am not 100% sure but I think only the SE models came with LSD and some had the Super Hicas LSD which is labeled with a sticker on the rocker. The hatch is really the only common rust area of the car if it has the foam type spoiler on it. Like sherm said the frame rails also tend to be a rot area.

If it has a sun roof I would check for rot near where the drain tubes come out. Sometimes, I don’t know how, the drain tubes are in the panel but not leading to the outside. Also, the LSD came on the cars with HICAS. I have a '93 SE and it doesn’t have a LSD. The automatic seat belts can also be a problem.

check for rust on the front shock towers

:word:
Most everything else has been said too:
Rust on the frame rails (more towards the front), rust on the hatch if it came with a factory spoiler. If it came with a factory sunroof, be very thurough checking around there. Make sure the headlight motors work in both directions (unless you plan on doing a front end conversion). Auto-seatbelts can be a bitch too (try to find a manual setup from a canadian car).

As for the LSD, if the car came with HICAS, it has an LSD. If not, there is a VERY slim chance that it has an LSD, look for huge cooling fins on the LSD cover. I think there was some form of marking on the LSD differentials as well. Ask F Dot (AddictedtoBoost), his 240 had an LSD an no HICAS.

yea dan, rust for sure, right where the frame raisl start to bend up in the front wheel well, rust on the hatch is no big deal, we can get a new one, odds are it wont have lsd but who cares, welded diff ftw. if it has no rust and is the right price buy it, they are geting more and more rare, and its not like your going to keep alot of other oem parts…

are you ever gonna buy an fd you fucking pussy

make sure the power steering works and check for rust/leaks around where the lines come into the rack.

look at the driver side floor pan right above where the exhaust runs, on 2/3 of my s13’s i could push thru this area with my hand.

is the timing chain has not been changed and/or the guides removed and car is over 100k, expect there to be a good amount of timing chain rattle at idle.

the lsd pumpin has a little sticker on it that says lsd, but its probobly no longer there or visable, and like someone said, its very rare to have a USDM s13 with OEM VLSD without it being a hicas car

I wont buy a fd unless I plan to put a V8 of some sort under the hood, And Im way too poor for that

i ahve a 240 so i asked the same questions before i bough mine, thier is a rail right under the driver seat tha does not go inline with the car, check that for rust, any rust on that stay away from it, check the floor for rust holes that is also a big problem, if it has the stock spoiler water gets trapped under that and rusts so check that, the only 240s thatcame with stock vlsd in america were the ones with hicas, ( every 240 in canada has vlsd ) check the strut towers, the headlight retraction relays have also been known to have problems, so make sure they go up and down, and check the frame rails that run inline with the car passenger and driver side., and check inside the hatch try and look under the carpet to make sure thier isnt any water in it, or rust.

Joe.

HAHAHA :rofl:

some although rare, se 240’s came with vlsd’s and only the 91+ 240’s have a vlsd in canada

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/1538/
Look for this

240’s are ghey and slow, get an EG hatch