What you WON'T see in the news about Toyota recalls...

Report: Dana coughs up $25M to Toyota over rusty Tacoma frames

When an automaker is forced to issue a recall, the defective part or feature is generally the fault of the automaker or of an OEM supplier it contracted to. In the case of the Toyota Tacoma – part of a 110,000-unit recall in 2009 – the problem appears to have been traced back to the supplier. And now the supplier is forced to pay for its mistakes.

The company in question, according to reports, is Dana, the Ohio-based OEM contractor supplying (among other components) axles and driveshafts for automobiles, commercial trucks and heavy equipment. In this case, it supplied the frames for the Tacoma pickup which were found to rust when exposed to road salt.

Although in 2010 Dana sold the plant that manufactures the frame to Mexican conglomerate Grupo Porza’s Metalsa subsidiary, since the component in question was built prior to the sale (from 1995 to 2000), Dana has reportedly been forced to shell out $25 million to Toyota over the issue.

dont get me wrong and I dont know squat about those trucks frame wise… buttttt… any metal exposed to salt will rust.

use better undercoating… problem solved.

I was thinking the same thing

but I think they werent specific enough, generaly they are painted/coated with some sort of protectent to keep the frame from rotting… I think when they made the frames they used some shitty quality product that wore off quickly with any use of the truck

Fuck man Dana makes good shit too. Great post man!!!

the frames come from dana already painted.
iirc, they didnt coat the insides properly and they rot from the inside out.

we check them all the time, we send them to the body shop to get under coated when theres no rust damage.

when there is rust damage, we swap the frames out…which pays 60 hours and can be done in one full day with 2 guys :slight_smile:

These frames were rotting to the point of breaking, some on trucks only a few years old.

at least yota fixes em , no others will or would do it . and manyyyyyyyy others should be as yota isnt the only ones with a problem

The frame rot had nothing to do with poor coating, but rather the metallurgy Dana spec’ed for use in making the steel for the frames. It was like someone being genetically prone to a disease.

Yota did the owners right, they bought back the truck at 1.5x Excellent KBB value. Name another manufacturer that did something similar.

hell yea they did.

Name another manufacturer that had the issue they needed to deal with. Didnt seem to be an issue with Ford, GM, Dodge or even Nissan trucks.

jellies , there all havin issues . i had a 08 f150 in from mackeys a few weeks ago and the frame was wasted . couldnt belive they sold it knowing it was that bad . no we didnt inspect it either

dude, it’s Mackeys… i think they ONLY buy and sell junk cars. It’s like the return of Meisners.

My '06’s frame is spotless and still has 90% or more of the original paint and its got 84k.

In any case thats one truck, probably one that was parked in a swamp or something and not thousands of trucks with that issue.

Sure theres been some Ford recalls relating to the trucks like a stupid rubber hose for the brake booster and now an airbag recall on some '05-'06 F150’s (dont think mine was made at the plant with the issue) but nothing like the whole frame being recalled/replaced/truck bought back.

Even though they paid 1.5 times the value Id be really hesitant to get another of the same truck.

Toyotas are for japs.

A guy my dad works with got a brand new frame put on his truck for free because of this recall, I can’t imagine how much that cost Toyota between parts and labor.

My s2000 came from Mackey. That was not junk by any means…

We had an old Toyota Tacoma in the shop 2 years back. When we lifted it up, it split in half. That’s how rotted the frame was. Didn’t make it 2 feet off the ground

my Toyota has a rotted frame but unfortunately its the year before the recall began