What's a good turbo timer?

i’m gettin kinda sick of sitting in the car an extra minute every time i go to turn it off…and one minute is usually more than i can spare when i’m running late for work every day…

eric (blk300tt) likes his blitz timer…

these are what i’ve been looking at thus far…i need opinions on them, and other possibilities and places where i can get these products…

http://www.czp.us/Cart/images/149.jpg

HKS Turbo Timer Type 1 (Black) with HarnessCode:300-4101-EX001Name:HKS Turbo Timer Type 1 (Black) with HarnessPrice:$130.00Description: HKS’ Turbo Timer Type-1 Black is a full featured Turbo Timer that combines all the features of the Turbo Timer Type-0 with added monitoring and metering functions such as RPM, time to speed/distance, peak hold & warning features and a stopwatch for lap times. Unique to the Type-1 Black is that its metering and displays are in MPH and SAE standard readings. Ex. 0 to 60 MPH, 60 foot, 1/8 mile & 1/8 mile times with trap speeds in MPH. 1990-1996 300ZX Harness INCLUDED

Usually Ships in 3-4 Days

http://www.czp.us/Cart/images/194.jpg

Greddy Auto Turbo Timer with HarnessCode:300-15500020Name:Greddy Auto Turbo Timer with HarnessPrice:$100.00Description: The basic function of Greddy Turbo Timer is to allow the engine to idle for a timed period with the ignition key removed. This allows the engine oil and turbo center cartridge to cool down to prevent internal turbo damage. The new Greddy Full Auto Timers pack tons of features in one economical, compact unit. In addition to two standard programmable count down present (P-1, P-2) our timer also has two Auto Timer modes, (A-L, A-H) which estimates the driving RPM according to the vehicles alternator signal and then recommends a count down time. And now there is a Stopwatch/Lap Time mode, and Attack mode. There is also a built in Voltmeter and Speedometer. Still standard are the optional Parking Brake and Speedo Safety hood-ups. 1990-1996 300ZX Harness Included($11.99 Value)

Usually Ships in 24 Hours

http://www.czp.us/Cart/images/273.jpg

Blitz Full Auto Turbo TimerCode:300-14356-7Name:Blitz Full Auto Turbo TimerPrice:$105.00Description: Blitz Turbo Times are Essential to all Turbo Charged Vehicles on the road, mainly because they prolong the life of your turbo.

Features:

Manual Timer – Allows the user to preset count down time. Automatic Timer – The FATT DC II has the ability to calculate the count down time by the how the vehicle was driven. There are 5 different types;

A-L – will start to calculate time automatically after 1800rpm. Low setting

A-S – will start to calculate time automatically after 1200rpm. Medium setting

A-H – will start to calculate time automatically after 900rpm. High setting

E-L – will start to calculate time according to how long the ignition has been on. Adds 55 seconds per hour.

E-H – will start to calculate time according to how long the ignition has been on. Adds 130 seconds per hour.

Voltage Display – The FATT DC II has a built in voltage display. This allows the user to monitor the vehicle’s charging system.
Temperature Display – The FATT DC II also has a built in air temperature display. This allows the user to monitor the cabin temperature.
Stop Watch and Lap Timer – This unique feature allows the user to use the stop watch function and also can record up to 5 lap times.
Adjustable Display – This turbo timer can also allow the user to adjust how the bar display moves. There are 4 different display types, one moves according to throttle and the others are programmed movements.
Adjustable Contrast – Allows the user to adjust the contrast setting.

1990-1996 300ZX Harness Included

Usually Ships in 3-4 Days

like i said, i’m open to other suggestions too, but these are the three that caught my eye so far just because they’re relatively cheap and all decent name brands…

i dont need all the bells and whistles of a trap speed, 0-60 time, etc…

i just want it to keep my car running a proper amount of time after i take the key out, that’s what they’re main purpose is, that’s all i need it to do, and i want it to do it well…

dude, they are all the same, i had the HKS one and it ws fine. some have some fancy bullshit, but that’s all it is. fancy bullshit.

For the most part, turbo timers are not needed.

i dont have the blitz one…i have the apex-i. but yea most are the same thing. some give you extra options that you dnt really need. i wouldnt spend more than $100 including the harness. i have the hks harness.

and as far as not needing a turbo timer goes i would rather take an extra precaution rather than cooking a turbo. especially in andys case or mine where replacement involves engine removal

what does a turbo timer do? (noob question)

after you take your key out, the car stays running for a predetermined amount of time to allow the turbos to cool a bit…just killin the engine while they’re still hot can do some damage over a period of time…

auto turbo timers read how hard you’re driving and use that info to determine a time for you that the car will stay on after you take out the key and walk away…

I have the Greddy and I love it. The auto feature is nice, but increases the time based on speed, not RPM. So if I drive the car hard for like 10 minutes, all at high RPM I’ll get a low countdown… but if I’m on a roadtrip and drive for hours at 65mph I’ll get a 15 minute countdown… humm.

n00b! :slight_smile:

You can do turbos with the motor still in the car.

you CAN your right. would i want to? no way in hell. the turbo to mani bolts are hard enough to get at even with the engine sitting right in front of me.

'cause it’s sooooo much extra work. And since pulling the motor involves playing around with an engine / wire harness that is 10+ years old, some with no replacement if you brake it, you’ll be risking a lot more than convenience. With the right tools, you can do anything :tup:

… or in my case, the right friend with the right tools :slight_smile:

what makes it good then? i’m not understanding…9 out of 10 times i’m in my car it’s for less than 30 minutes…but out of that 9 times, 4 or 5 times i get on it every now and then, and dont want a short countdown…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEXI-AUTO-TURBO-TIMER-TT-BRAND-NEW-BUY-IT-NOW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8057007197QQtcZphoto

this is what i have

There are high auto and low auto modes. You can also set it to any manual time you want.

I Know where there is a full harness if anyone needs to buy one

If he buys from a Z-Specific vender (like www.czp.us), the harness is included.

i am talking a whole engine harness

th HKS one bases it on rpm and speed.

Humm… do you think if I changed the pickup from the speed to RPM wire it would work? I’d rather have it based on RPM.

i cannot remember what the pulse widths and frequency are for the rpm vs speed… i don’t know how well that would work.

Yeah I’ll just keep it the way it is.

i went with the apexi one that eric has…and the hks harness, because it bases time on rpm which i want…and i’ve seen it in action in person, so i know it works, plus i can use his car as a model for how/where to mount it…

i would put it where the stock clock goes, but that’s where i plan on putting my boost controller :tup: