What's RWD, Rear Engine, < 1,500lbs & < $10k?

… And coming to the US???

A redesigned version of India’s no-frills Nano minicar will come to the United States in three years, said Ratan Tata, the billionaire boss of that country’s giant Tata Group.

“The U.S. is a very enticing market,” Tata said in an interview. “We are redesigning the Nano for both Europe and the U.S.”

It will get a bigger engine and “more bells and whistles,” including such features as power steering and traction control. Tata said it will be priced below $10,000.

At 122 inches long, it is nearly two feet shorter than a Mini, and it has a two-cylinder, rear-mounted engine with 37 hp. Tata, whose company owns Jaguar and Land Rover, conceived the Nano as the world’s cheapest car. It went on sale in 2009 with a price tag of about $2,500.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20121015/OEM03/310159955#ixzz29NZ6qFYK

Yeah, not that exciting. But I’m sure there are small car lovers here who would love this.

LS1 swap?

turbo R1 swap?

hamster wheel swap?

I’m actually laughing out loud that they are giving a 37 hp car traction control. Don’t good sized garden tractors have 24 hp?

and are less likely to get totalled by a shopping cart!

Just wait till the first time you get stuck behind one of these going 50mph down the 290. :rageface:

This is more likely^^ People have already swapped busa motors into smart cars

I think that ALL cars & trucks have to have traction and stability control in like 2014? So that is why it will have it…

There really should be a regulation if you have less HP than a lawn tractor then you should not be required TC or SC!

It will probably move pretty decent due to gearing…

My wheeler has double the HP. :lol:

If it’s as small as it looks they get one warning, then I’m punting them and continuing on my way. 'MERICA!

Surprised they found a way to meet all the crash standards in the US.

After a bit of googleing the Nissan versa coming in at 10k is the cheapest new car you can currently buy in the US.

I was thinking the same thing… and wondering if those standards will changes things for them…

On top of that it is rear engine, rear wheel drive which makes it more impossible to spin the tires. LMAO.

I can’t wait to pull up behind one in my Ferd Fteenthousand. :smiley:

http://www.gregspradlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/pair-of-tatas.jpg

It will need 50 more hp, once they add all of the required safety things to the car. I remember when Bob Lutz took a test drive in some 3rd world mini-truck. It was dirt cheap, and incredibly unsafe, but that’s what the market demanded where it was sold.