What's wrong with autox???

or use it for cement boots. lots of folks on here that can use them

I believe this is a regional rule for us (FLR)

If FSAE can use UB, why can’t scca get in there also?

Yeah, and we still come close to loosing money there every time. If it rains there we are totally screwed. That’s a big risk to keep a lot of “one eventers” happy. If it seemed like it was acting as more of a recruitment tool then it would be a better risk, but the same people just keep on showing up year after year just that one time.

Then there is obviously a reason why those one-timers are not attending other events, and it should be addressed.

What is different from BIMP than any other event? Is it the percieved “course” feeling that people get from it, or is there something different about the way it is run?

There are a lot of reasons we don’t run UB. The 2 big ones being that those curbs are big and they hurt cars, and that last time they wanted to charge us for marking up their parking lines.
And really, none of the lots are big enough for a fun safe course.

And this thread is about discussing why the current solution isn’t pleasing everyone right?

I don’t know if the big gap between local events is contributing, but I think it might be so I threw it out there.

As for UB, I was there for the only recent event SCCA ran there and it didn’t go very well. First, the lot was too small. Second, the campus police showed up because all the Joe like people who live on campus were crying about cars waking them up at 10:30am. Third, they wanted us to pay for resurfacing the lot after we ran there because of our tire marks.

If you’ve got a connection at UB who might be able to cut through all that BS I’m sure Dave would love to talk to them.

What about using a paint that washes away with the rain or something? Also they have expanded a lot recently, maybe there is a new alternative? Or maybe Buff State, or a different ECC lot? Just throwing out ideas to possibly help, not being argumentative. :tup:

edit: Didn’t realize it was the tire marks. That sucks.

I’ve never been to one and wouldn’t mind giving it a shot, but at the moment, I don’t want to put my DD in danger of breaking.

If I had a second car that I didn’t really care much about, I’d be interested.

It’s run no different. Some people just like road courses better which is fine. But on the otherhand there’s a fair number of people who don’t bother with it either. It’s something we do to keep people happy.

chances of auto-x breaking your car is pretty minimal. You should have seen the car I drove last time(No offense Jeremy).

You should try it out, even if just once… or come check out a local event so you can get a feel for it. Hell, come and see if you can get a ride with someone… almost everyone would welcome a co-driver ( unless its the last run ). I believe last years curbings were a rare event… this year there haven’t been any accidents~

I haven’t been to UB in a few years now so I can look around to see if anything is better now. Buff State has nothing useful. We used to run at ECC-S but that was mostly cause there wasn’t anything better. Plus the jumps from lot to lot there can be hazardous.

You have a better chance breaking you DD driving to work than at a regular autocross. It’s not the novices who have found trouble at ECC either, it’s generally the experienced guys who push harder, start to lose it, try to drive out of it, and fail. The courses are designed so that you should be spinning away from things like light polls and curbs.

“Start to spin, both feet in” and you should be fine. Aka, jam the clutch and the brakes and slide to a stop instead of trying to save it, causing you to continue carrying speed while out of control and getting yourself into a portion of the course the designers never expected people to be out of control in.

:wave: The Fiero jumped it no problem 3 times. Too bad we had more than 3 runs that day. :wink:

Might want to give ECC-S another shot though just to break up ECC-N without driving 2 hours away. Maybe some sort of course design that puts a turn just before the ramp to keep speeds down. The ramp was an issue the day I broke a ball joint because it was on the straight and if you wanted to risk the car you were hitting it well over 40mph.

when is the next event? Hell, maybe I’ll talk a friend into going (and drive their car :D)

it sounds like a blast

edit: some of you experienced guys would have to show me the ropes and shit though. I drive like an asshole on the streets when the mood strikes, but I don’t want to be “that guy” taking out every other cone haha

I suspect pitching the idea to a company is generally very difficult. What’s the process like anyways? I would assume most places just hang up the phone immediately.

hitting cones is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!

Instructors will be firm in telling you that if you are not hitting cones, you are not driving hard enough. That is why people are out, working the course.

Don’t be a pussy about driving your car, it wont break, Almost everyone I know drives their DD.

There’s a site acquisition packet that SCCA puts out to help (or there’s supposed to be), but basically all a business owner hears when you talk about responsible car enthusiasts with national backing, a great safety record and their own insurance is, “we want to race cars around in your parking lot and get you sued”.

The usual response is ‘we’re not interested in that type of event’.

The best/easiest way in is to know someone, or, to find a lot that is currently unused. Landlords with no renters like easy money :slight_smile: .

If anyone has site suggestions, please let us know. If anyone knows someone ‘on the inside’ at ralph wilson stadium, the niagara falls airport…etc, please let us know!.

Its just like getting a job, the easiest way is via connections.

Have you guys considered contacting the Lancaster airport down Walden? I don’t think I’ve seen a plane there in forever, but i could be mistaken.