What's wrong with autox???

what about the parking lot over where McBee’s used to be? off of N.Baily near sheridan? There’s nothing in there as far as businesses go AFAIK.

Evangola state park would be killer too if their parking lots were better maintained

The national packet does a good job of providing methods for contact, and insurance and sanction information. It also provides a slide show and pamphlet… full of pictures of fully prepared race cars that would scare the hell out of any site owner :-). Great intent, bad execution IMO.

It’s an active general aviation airport.

But keep throwing them out there. That one had me excited for a minute.

What about at IsleChem on Grand Island?

there is an old airport in Angola on even-evans center road (right behind a bike shop).

no idea who owns it, but I’m pretty sure it’s not active

Is that a joke? Cause if it’s not, it’s even more funny.
And I’m not trying to be a dick either.

If it’s what I’m thinking about, we’ve looked into it and it’s really narrow, but I’d be willing to take another look. Could you google map it for me?

It was a semi serious suggestion. I thought that back lot was really large? I can’t quite remember as I haven’t been there in over a year.

I’m also aware of the type-r that parks there, and i’ve seen the car at auto-x.

Furthermore I am aware the owners name begins with D.

Lastly, your username starts with D. I am experiencing moderate embarrassment.

It’s not my Type R, mines the Yellow one. That’s Dale’s white one. He’s like 1/3 owner of IsleChem :slight_smile:
So it has been looked at.:wink:

Which lot? Chances are it’s either not completely empty on Sunday, or not big enough to have an event + grid.

For reference, this is ECC-N:

We use the entire lot marked by “A”, as well the two little lots connected to it at the lower left for parking and grid.

Most lots that people think of as “big” aren’t nearly big enough to have an autocross at. The Xerox lot in Rochester is a great example that I can’t find on google maps. It looks massive and square, but when you lose a chunk of it for grid and parking it gets smaller fast.

it’s the one towards the back on the right. That picture might be a little old too. Since that pub closed, I’ve NEVER seen a car back there. A Chinese restaurant opened up in there not long after, but I believe they went under.

in comparison, it’s probably about the size of the lot at ECC to the upper left of lot A

If it’s what I’m thinking about, we’ve looked into it and it’s really narrow, but I’d be willing to take another look. Could you google map it for me?

that could be, never really been back there, was always hoping they’d turn it into a drag strip actually

EDIT: Not the actual landing strip, but the large paved area next to the hangers

you mean behind cole muffler? there sued tobe a chinese food place and a tai kwan do place back there.

That lot is great for sno-dorifto.

But, the actual lot is TORE UP. alot of pot holes & the like. I really doubt its ready for an auto x course.

u wont hurt ur DD 90% of people use their DD

yeah, I think that’s the one

is the airport on Clinton St in West Seneca/Cheek still in use???

The lancaster airport (which I never even knew existed) would be great if it had a pad or a cross runway. As it is, I don’t think we could do much more then a really freaking long slalom, a turn around, and the same slalom all the way back :slight_smile: .

But seriously, there is no harm in everyone scouring google maps to try and come up with something. Keep it coming!

There was a big thread on the WNY forum last fall about new sites, but it disappeared when the website went down. Someone had a couple leads in Fredonia, but for you guys, that’s just as far as driving to Rochester. I also thought it would be cool to run at Darien Lake or Fantasy Island but it would have to be super-early or late in the season when they aren’t open.

Some kind of cool “special” event would be fun once a year to encourage more participation (Mirrorkhana, night event, ???).

And for what it’s worth, there are certainly a lot of good qualified instructors in the region, but when I was working grid at event 1, I had a hell of a time finding people to ride with the novices. I don’t know if everyone was busy, working course, hiding, just didn’t feel like it, or what.

I never really took the grid or parking aspect into consideration. I’ll keep it in mind while I scout. :slight_smile:

We had such low turnout at the first two events that the normal instructors had to do regular coursework.

Whatever happened to Darien Lake? I wouldn’t mind running Novice School and Event 1 there.

Someone was going to make contact, won’t name names, but Im guessing they never did.
Fantasy island is one we’ve considered, maybe worth reconsidering for next year.

Darien lake might be easier now anyway since they are no longer a 6 flags corp facility, again though, would need to be before the park opening, but the lot there is HUGE, so would be worth it I think, especially since Im betting they wouldn’t charge us a whole ton of money.