whats wrong with my fairlady ?

i just recently purchased a 1989 300zx twin turbo from japan . it seems to be running rough, i did an oil change and fuel filter and am going to do the plugs,wires, cap and rotor this week. when im driving it doesnt want to boost very well all the time , sometimes it boosts harder than other times. if anybody has any idea on what is wrong please let me know thanks!.

off the top of my head, id say check your MAFS. You may also have a boost leak somewhere as well. Or going to extremes, your turbos might be fucked

That sounds like safety boost. You may have been getting some detonation.

Also you’ll want to pull some codes off your ECU.

my MAF was filthy, when my car arrived. cleaned the elements with elecrical contact cleaner ver gently and the car ran nicely after. Id say look at the maf’s, first. Check that there arent any sensor unplugged too.

K i dont know too much about cars . what is safety boost? detonation ? i sound like a dumbass but i have no idea whats going on . i checked my mafs and its super clean everything looks to be plugged in. i also have some sort of oil cooler or something that runs a hose from one side of the engine to the other then down to a canister behind the front bumper, but no oil ever goes through the lines but it looks stained from old oil. ? any ideas ?

what kind of plugs / wires do you recommend? what other shit can i do to tune this bitch up?

What kind of gas are you running, and did you ajust the timing ?

No offense but given what you’ve just said, how did you find yourself owning a 300ZXTT?

You should not have bought a car like that without a little foresight into what’s involved in owning and maintaining one, IMO.

Its NOT a good starter/beginner/first car for a young person to own, regardless of how cheap people seem to be able to import those RHD JDM examples lately.

89?..z31 or z32, I’m confused.

its a z32 made in december of 89 so its the same as a 90 here i think . i installed new spark plugs tonight NGK laser Platinum and it ran amazing for like 10 minutes boosting like crazy then i hit a baby rabit :frowning: and stopped then it ran like shit after that. i think something is fucked with the sparking ?

i was running 94 octain from husky on 14th street . i havent touched the timing .

Do this and then see what your computer comes up with. http://www.ttzd.com/tech/diagnostictech.html

what kind of a person makes a stupid comment like that. if you have nothin nice to say dont say anything at all im trying to learn here buddy . dont post dumb shit

There was no 1989 model year in North America. 1988 was the last year for the Z31 and the Z32 didn’t start until the 1990 model. But in Japan the Z32 started as a 1989.

In North America the Z32 started as a 1990 but they were released really early. 90 NAs came as early as June (?) 1989 I think, and 90 TTs came out in the late summer or fall of that year.

Sounds like something electrical has unseated itself. Check that your coilpacks are seated properly and their connectors. If the problem doesn’t go away the also check other major connectors like the PTU, CAS, TPS, Temp Sensor and MAF.

If you’re lucky its just something simple like that.

I have checked everything seems like there is a loose wire or something cause every once and awhile it seems to connect and run really smoothly , other times it feels like its only running on 5 cylinders and bogs out, gas milage is shitty. when i diagnos the ecu do the codes come up where the temp reads? thats what someone told me.

No, there is a red LED right on the side of the ECU which will blink the code to you. A series of slow blinks and quick blinks. 5 slow and 5 fast is code 55, which is normal (ie. no errors).

So i ran a diagnostics test on my ecu it read code 21 Ignition signal circuit . where should i check for problems?

i tested my ecu tonight it read code 21 ignition signal circuit . what should i check ? its still boggin out

hey today i checked the ignition coils with some sort of tester . the light blinks if the coil pack is working. on the one cylinder i held it there for ahile and it would cut on and off. does this mean the coilpack itself is pooched? stadium nissan quoted me $180 for a coilpack