?! spark blowout? my Z is not doing well

ok so i took the car to mike at innovative, and we ran it on a dyno. couldnt push the boost past 14 psi because we started getting spark blowout around 5000rpms. a couple runs after that we gave up, turned the boost back down and called it a day. now, even at stock 10psi i still get it. my plugs started to die out on me so i replaced them with stock platinums (i had ngk heat range 7 coppers on the dyno). the car runs smooth at normal driving again, but blows out even harder at WOT. not a good look.

SO, im almost positive i have a fuel leak on the fuel filter, which i will take care of soon. could lack of, or loss of fuel pressure at WOT create this problem? if so, why are my spark plugs affecting this / fouling out? could one or more faulty coils be the cause? maybe im not getting a hot enough spark? i really dont know where to begin. I REALLY could use some guidance. thanks for any advice

colder plugs? or more volts…both would probably help, but that is just major guesswork from a noob.

What are you gapping your plugs to? And the smaller electrode of the platinum plugs will cause you to blowout more…

I’m 90% sure this is a spark plug problem, nothing else.

But if your fuel filter is leaking, you NEED to replace it too.

i gapped the new platinums down to .035, the coppers were down to .028. if its just a plug problem, why am i fouling out plugs? and the filter itself isnt leaking, just the SS lines to / from it.

this is gonna sound stupid…but i had a problem a few years ago that ended up being napa giving me the wrong plugs… make sure you have the right part number. they were a step too hot

in simpler words…

you’re FUCKED

i have nothing intelligent to add to this thread

fuck platinum plugs for boost and nitrous they glow and blow platinum off the tip run a standard copper autolite plug close up the gap a bit or step it up to a autolite racing plug i was running ar3932 they have real thick electrodes that do not glow
just a suggestion good luck

yea i’ve always had the best luck with copper on boosted cars, and they are cheap :tup:

what marc said however i wouldnt put autolites in my lawnmower. You have an import stick to NGK or Denso, and run coppers whatever you do.

If the ignition is breaking up on this then you are going to have to either suck it up and test each component for proper specs, inspect then all making sure you have no cracks in the coils or wear spots on the plug boots, and make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight, terminals are in good condition also how many grounds are you currently running on this engine?

Copper ONLY!

Ugh nothing wrong with Autolite…don’t be a name whore

i will never use Bosch again after an electrode broke off and shot into one of my injectors

which kind were you using?

CHAMPOIN COPPER PLUGS FTW

NEVER put platinum in a boosted car :bloated:

and for the love of god NEVER USE THOS +4 pieces of shit

DO NOT USE AUTOLITE PLUGS IN YOUR Z.

If you do, I will go over to your house and take them out myself.

Do a search on TTNET - you won’t find one good thing said about them.

josh…werent you telling me something about making sure the plugs on my car were the right size because the suggested size isnt the same size as the factory ones??? or osmething like that? i dont know.

Bosch Platinums

i had bosh +4’s in a stratus, within 10,000 miles the car was stumbling, took them out they were broken, pitted and making the weakest spark, this was a NA 2.0

actually autolites are EXTREMELY shitty on rx7, and like josh said on z’s. i would never use them on a boosted import, they never seem to mix well

Woody - Check all your wires / connections at and around the PTU - Follow the harness and make sure all the wires look good.

No no - I was taking about plug gap. There are plugs out there that sit a little deeper, but I forgot the +/- of them.