Wheel bearing question

I’m putting new rotors on my car (fronts). The inner wheel bearing has some play in it. Is it still useable or do I have to replace it? It is not really bad, I’m just not sure if those are supposed to be like really tight as far as “in out” movement, or if a little bit of play is normal/acceptable.

depends on your definition of a little play, with the tire on and the car on the jacks, how far can you move the wheel towards or away from you if you have shake it? more than an inch and i would replace them

With the wheel on it almost doesnt move at all…I was just wondering about the bearing itself becuase when I took it out of the old rotor it had some play in it.

ok All done. Poped in the new rotors. Greesed the hell out of the bearings and they’re fine. Like no movement at all :tup:

:bloated:

So 3/4th of an inch of play in a wheel is ok?

:bloated:

i agree with you jay i wouldn’t accept anything with more than 1/8. Also Jeg for further reference: on those bearings you lossen the bearing nut and tighten to roughly 15-18ft lbs of tq and back off 1/4 turn. There is an actual spec.

An inch of play??? Dear god, don’t ever work on anything more complicated then a push mower, and even that, have someone watch over you.

If my mower had an inch of play in the wheel I’d fix it. :wink:

im anal about it. if there was any play i would replace it. just cuz eventually that play will result in a new bearing so might as well get it over with and get a new one before it gets bad.

^+1

I usually replace it once I hear it rubbing.

It may not always have play right away to signal it is going bad. You may be able to hear the bearing start to go before you actually feel play when you jack it up. You can blow the seals inside causing the bearings to just ride on the bearing housing as well as the axle-shaft without grease and eventually it will be followed by “Whomp-whomp-whomp-whomp-whomp…”

OT: 200th post :blah:

ok you just pulled up to my work wtf could you possibly want

I want the dumbass who did my front end allignment to do it again and do it right this time, so my car doesn’t pull to one side like I’m driving through a hurricane lol.

Put the new rotors on yesterday, repacked the bearings really good. After I put everything back together I checked and there is 0 play. It was the bearing itself that had a tiny bit of play in it after I took it out of the old rotor…not the whole wheel itself.

Ok smartass.You were standing there when he did the alignment the first time.Remember? he almost dropped the car on you because you kept wondering around the lift.My techs are not any where near as dumb as you. He adjusted your car to factory spec. Seriously you are the reason I do not advertise here.If you didnt come back last night come in today I would be glad to show you where your car sits right now.

And I thought it was because you are stupid??

If you’re techs are so great then why did they do 2 alignments on my car to get it right, and after the second time, they then said I have to replace a ball joint asap. Hmm I thought you can’t do an alignment correctly with a shot ball joint…but that’s what I was told. If they were so good I wouldn’t have had to use the gas to drive there multiple times to get the job done right, when it should have been done right the first. Oh btw… when the guy put my car on the lift the first time he cracked my ground effects on the driver side. I’m not concerned because it was already broken in another place and has to be replaced anyway…but yeah…he made it a lot worse, as well as putting on these retarded looking chrome valve stems (which I did NOT ask for) because he thought they looked cool. :picard:

I’ll take the valve stems. Or the valve stem caps I think you are referring to.