Wheel Spacer Question

I just put my a set of wheel spacers on my car which are hub and wheel centric. I’m pretty sure they are installed properly, because they sit nice and flush with the hub and all the bolts are torqued properly.

What I don’t get though is that my lug nuts are becoming lose when I drive. I torqued them down to 80lbs.ft and they were perfectly fine when I had them on w/o the spacers. Now, every 50km I need to check the lug nuts to make sure they are not getting lose and every time I need to torque them back down. Didn’t even realize this until on my wheels started to wabble back and forth… luckly, I was only doing 40km/h at that time and I pulled over right away.

Also, after some driving, one of the wheels (and that spacer) is kinda hot, where as the other one is pretty cool.

What am I missing here guys? Should I buy new lug nuts? Take the spacers off ? Do the spacers also need that plastic lip that I have on my wheels to make sure they sit on the hub perfectly?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

i think thats what you need and try tourqing you nuts to 100 foot pounds

What kind of rims do you have? They are hubcentric to stock wheels, but many aftermarket wheels need hubcentric rings even if the spacers are hubcentric. For the lugnuts, just put them tighter, get an impact and tighten those bitches up good. And for the heat thing, maybe you have a jammed caliper?

how big is the spacer?

I have a set of Gram Lights wheels… they do have the hubcentric rings… I’ll try to tighten the lugnuts even more… but I never liked overtightening any bolts…

They are 25mm spacers with built in studs.

I wouldn’t go much over the recommended torque rating. Steel has a certain point to which it can stretch and then return to it’s original shape. But go beyond that and it will just stay stretched out. And each consecutive time you do that it weakens the metal and it will eventually snap. That said, definately do NOT use an impact gun. You’re gonna have a wheel fall off without warning while you’re driving.

B-Wurm :smiley:

I just put my a set of wheel spacers on my car which are hub and wheel centric. I’m pretty sure they are installed properly, because they sit nice and flush with the hub and all the bolts are torqued properly.

What I don’t get though is that my lug nuts are becoming lose when I drive. I torqued them down to 80lbs.ft and they were perfectly fine when I had them on w/o the spacers. Now, every 50km I need to check the lug nuts to make sure they are not getting lose and every time I need to torque them back down. Didn’t even realize this until on my wheels started to wabble back and forth… luckly, I was only doing 40km/h at that time and I pulled over right away.

Also, after some driving, one of the wheels (and that spacer) is kinda hot, where as the other one is pretty cool.

What am I missing here guys? Should I buy new lug nuts? Take the spacers off ? Do the spacers also need that plastic lip that I have on my wheels to make sure they sit on the hub perfectly?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

i think thats what you need and try tourqing you nuts to 100 foot pounds

What kind of rims do you have? They are hubcentric to stock wheels, but many aftermarket wheels need hubcentric rings even if the spacers are hubcentric. For the lugnuts, just put them tighter, get an impact and tighten those bitches up good. And for the heat thing, maybe you have a jammed caliper?

how big is the spacer?

I have a set of Gram Lights wheels… they do have the hubcentric rings… I’ll try to tighten the lugnuts even more… but I never liked overtightening any bolts…

They are 25mm spacers with built in studs.

I wouldn’t go much over the recommended torque rating. Steel has a certain point to which it can stretch and then return to it’s original shape. But go beyond that and it will just stay stretched out. And each consecutive time you do that it weakens the metal and it will eventually snap. That said, definately do NOT use an impact gun. You’re gonna have a wheel fall off without warning while you’re driving.

B-Wurm :smiley: