When buying a digital camera....???

I’m looking for a birthday present, and want to spend between $100 and $200 for a new digital camera.

I don’t know much about them, other than they are no longer 3.2 megapixel with only digital zoom :rofl:

What should I be looking for in a good camera? I’d like it to be smaller, with a decent sized screen and I’m guessing a good MP and definitely some sort of Optical zoom. Does the type of media matter still?

Any suggestions/thoughts to help me out? :slight_smile:

Its all opinion, if the person just wants it for parties and little situations a small canon or kodak would be great.

But If you are looking for a compact camera with a really good zoom that is your winner.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/495350050

ive got a casio exlim 7.2 it does alright.

Think it can do adjustments to take lightning pictures? I was reading online that you need to be able to control shutter speed as well as ISO. I take it you own the camera, since you were pretty quick to post up?

OHHH!! Another thing that drives me nuts about my old Sony is that when you push the button to take the picture, it has a delay. Do new cameras still have that problem, or are they instant now?

God, that drives me nuts when I see something awesome and I point and shoot and then I miss it by a second…

I just bought a new point and shoot. After doing way too much research I settled on a Canon SD880IS. Digic4, 10mp, 28mm, Optical VR, Servo AF, etc etc etc. But it was $300.

A Canon SD1100 would be a pretty nice <$200 dollar camera.

I believe the one i posted does a 10 frames per second burst mode and you should be able to do simple adjustments on it.

i agree with FRY

Something better about the SD1100 compared to what RobHimself recommended?

I see a lot of differences, but why choose one over the other?

I’ve just seen awesome results from the Canon SD series, and i will probably only buy Canon or Nikon. not saying the others are shitty or wont produce nice pictures, just when one thinks of photography equipment, its usually either Canon or Nikon

:word: to Canon and Nikon.I’ve used a TON of different cameras in my time and the canon/Nikon ones always produced the best images.Sony can be pretty good for point & shoots too.

I currently use a Panasonic and its a very well rounded camera.

I’ve been researching the s 80 model from canon, its older, and the prices have come down a lot, was 600 new, now around 150-250. Anyone here have any recommendations. Its pocket sized, has a wide angle lense… sounds like a good deal.

for lightning you would need manual controls, but I do not see the point in taking shots like that with a point and shoot unless you just wanted to learn how.

I would stick with canon/nikon/Sony, with an optical zoom and you are not going to need anything over 5mp unless you plan on making Huge prints.
But I guess everything is over 5 now. Just don’t let the mp make your decision . In reality its going to be the quality of the glass in the lens that will make the most difference. The lens is the second most important part of a camera after the user.