Where To Buy CLAY for Clay Bar Detailing???

[quote=“JayS,post:6,topic:28281"”]

How often are you claying your car? It should be a once a year thing, maybe twice if you’re real anal about your paint.

[/quote]

Not really. Whenever the paint feels dirty is the better yardstick. This could be once, twice or three times a year depending on what conditions the paint had to endure. Clay barring isn’t as abrassive as polishing if done correctly. Polishing isn’t necessary after claying if it was clayed correctly. I would agree that polishing should be kept to a minimum due to paint thickness issues. Most people need to learn how to wash a car before learning how to polish. Swirls really are caused by dirty sponges, mits, polyester towels, chamois, ect.

There are no “absolutes” in detailing. If my paint feels gritty, but it’s free of scratches and swirls (which it usually is, because I know how to wash a car), then I clay bar, cleaner (like Klasse AIO) then wax. :slight_smile:

To make a clay lube you can put a drop of car wash detergent in a spray bottle full of water. I’ve had problems with streaking when using this, causing me to rewash. I’ve also used the hose method, but I don’t really like that. I don’t think it’s as effective.

Actually, I remember when I had a smeary mess using detergent. My paint still beaded up as though it had wax on it, leading me to believe that clay bar doesn’t remove wax too well, which means it doesn’t remove clearcoat very well. Phew.

Oh and Claymagic Blue Bar, please. The other crap is, well, crap.