Clay bar

well i want to clean up my 04 cbr 600rr i was leaning towards using a clay bar…i had a Zex one given to me as a sample but it seems to be lacking a spray solution that is talked about the directions on the back…my question is how do you use a clay bar properly…i have searched but i would like to get some info first hand from someone who has used a bar and give some tips/pointers…or maybe i should go a different route

thanks john:shithitfan:

use a clay bar like if you were to wet sand. you can either use a soap and water mix in a spray bottle or the clay bar kits come with a quick detailer of some sort. rip some of the clay off and warm it in your hand and spray the surface and rub. just make sure to keep it wet

You just wet the surface with the quick detailer and glide the bar over the surface
If it has contaminants on the paint you should feel friction
You basically just go over it until the bar glides freely on the surface (at this point you should be able to see the difference)

Knead the bar from time to time and whatever you do , DO NOT drop it on the ground!

And yeah keep the surface wet

Edit- Buy McGuires Quick Detailer spray if you need a lubricant

if you drop it on the ground throw it out

use a bottle of quick detail spray for lube.
It helps to soak your hands in the spray as well so the clay doesn’t stick to your hands.

you shouldn’t have to use any pressure, just rub it back and forth over the contaminated paint.

and IF YOU DROP IT, THROW IT OUT!

Roll it in dirt before using it.

I’ve had a kit laying around for almost 2 years now, I suppose I should use it.

works wonders on the back of white cars!

With a bike, and no supplied lube. I would just wash the bike normally, dry.

Then refill the wash bucket with fresh soap/water. Doing a panel at a time, take the wash mit and douse the panel, then go at it with the clay, rub along the surface, not really hard, but press a little. Back and forth motion over the entire panel. If it gets dry and the clay starts rubbing (you can tell), use more water/soap. Rinse and dry a panel at a time and make sure to follow up with some kind of wax because there will be NOTHING protecting the paint after you clay.

Stubborn spots can be lifted more easily if you repeatedly STOP the clay over the spot, and change directions (at the end of your stroke).

thanks guys for the help…would i be ok just using a soap and water mixture as a lubricant or should i just go buy some of the “quick detail spray”

Quick detail spray is like $6 and has no chance of leaving residue like soap and water

theres what i am dealing with

quick detail… soap wont act as a good enough lubricant and will cause the bar to ride on top of the water instead of contacting the paint

More like completely fucking necessary on the back of white cars.

Another thing I do is have a credit card (or something else sharp plastic) handy, if I see a spot is being stubborn I’ll take the edge of the credit card and agitate JUST the stain a little bit. I’m talking about like freaking microscopically (not really), but like a 1mm area. I don’t rub the cc along the panel. It helps break the shell of the stain and the clay will remove it much more easily.

man, I would love to just have the surface area of a bike to detail.

I use the meguiar’s quick detailer spray when I clay. :tup:

if i read over it sorry but mark sure you wash your car when your done.

i just user water when i clay.

The clay takes off wax correct…thus you need to add wax when your done. but what about polish and getting it buffed.

correct me if im wrong:

1)wash car
2)clay bar car
3)wash car
4)add wax
5)polish and buff

In the past I’ve used Mothers quick detailer spray as a lubricant, but I have read it’s better to use a spray bottle full of water with a couple drops of dishwashing soap. Everybody will have their own take on this though.

And the obligitory, If you drop it on the ground throw it out!

i just clayed a parts of my car this morning, that a difference it makes

anyone have some pics theyd like to share
before and after
maybe even on black