attn detailers...

little teeny rust specs…from brake pads that were…non-existent…that are beautifully sprinkled all over my car…

i used a clay bar…it worked - however, the whole car needs it, and thats a long hand cramping process…whats teh best way to do it? rotary buffer? anything else you can think of?

how many detailers on here are just my friends that wanna help me out? :ugh:

anyone want to have a detail day? my truck needs to be claybarred and buffed/waxed too.

A buffer may not work. U should probably just take your time with a clay bar

They make a pad for your detailer that will hold clay…

that being said… claying a car is pretty easy and shouldnt really take you that long…

are you gently rubbing the clay on your car? or using it like sandpaper and really working it on th epaint?

Those rust specs needs lots of elbow grease and it takes quite a while to get ALL of them out. After that hit it with the porter cable and an orange pad with polish and hand wax it.

claybar with a lot of elbow grease and patience…

I had rust spots on my entire truck after only having it less then 2 years, was especially bad around my wheel wells. Clay bar was the only thing that I found that effectively removed the spots. Though some of them still left a bit of a stain if you were like really close you could see it. Two different nights I spent working on it, basically because I was so sick of claying the first night I gave up. Some of these rust spots do not like to come out and require some serious elbow grease.

Do not use the buffing pad with the clay. It is an all around bad idea, made worse by the fact that you know your are pulling metal bits out of the paint. Just think of those bits spinning at 2500rpm against the rest of the paint. Take your time and use a lot of soapy water it is the best option and when it is all done you will be happy you did it right.

+1

Repaint it / vinyl wrap it.

i have a frajillion of these too…
even on fiberglass body parts :[

I dont think claybar would help it or just cause more damage if your being aggressive on the paint. I always used an intense polish with a medium pad or just wetsand with 2000 grit and buff.

^^claybar def works. it just takes a long time and now i have a LOT to do

A clay bar is the only thing that is actually going to remove the defect. The small orange spots are caused by industrial contamination, rail dust and other fine particulates in the air. They get embedded in the paint and then begin to rust. So long as they are not too deep into the paint they will not immediately affect your vehicle, but over time the corrosion will worsen and will break into the metal.

By polishing or wet sanding this area you are effectively moving paint particles around and hiding the defect. You will remove SOME of it, but not all of it.

Here is an illustration of how clay bars work:

Sorry to hihack the thread, what is the best leather cleaner out there? My trucks leather seats look nice, but i want to see if i can get them cleaner

I always use a watered down degreaser (Purple power from Autozone is cool) followed by a nice mild detergent. This will clean the Leather real well, but just like skin it will dry it out and can be very damaging to it. You need to immediately follow this with a good leather conditioner. This will get the seats real clean as well as give them back the moisture that they need to stay soft and keep from cracking.

Cool, i have meguiars leather conditioner, it seems to take some of it off. I bet if i use a degreaser it will get them to look almost like new!