Where to go for Roofing Materials?

I am looking to do the roof on my house and garage in a couple of weeks, wondering who is the best to buy from. Is there one brand better than another? Looking for a 30yr or lifetime (seems to be most of them now) I will be doing the roof myself, so I’m not looking for a contractor just a place to buy them. Roof delivery would be ideal. What steps should I take while doing this to prevent the ice damming issues that were such a problem last year?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

-Adam

Give these guys a shot.

http://www.weatherpanel.com/roofing.htm

Make sure the shingle you buy offers a warranty if it is non registered contractor installed.

84 Lumber

B&L wholesale

Alside

Offer roof top delivery if I remember right.

Install Ice and water shield (Grace seems to be the most popular choice) and depending on your budget/square footage, run that higher up your slopes than the standard distance. Make sure it is solidly flashed if you have any penetrations (skylights, soil stacks, chimney)

B & L and Alside are wholesale and don’t deal with the public, unless I’m wrong. 6’ minimum ice / water from the eaves, brought over the fascia, and behind the gutter. GAF makes a good shingle. Ventillation is key to prevent ice damming, in conjunction with good insulation. Grace is about the best I shield you can buy…very sticky.

Cheapest shingles you can buy will be at Homedepot, being at about 75 a square for GAF.

Try Miris, they have pretty decent rates on shingles and will sell to regular joes.

If not, there is always ABC supply co on Fillmore. They will also service cash customers.

Alside, weatherpanel, etc - forget it.

I got all my supplies from Sheldon Wholesale on Bigtree rd in Strykersville. Owner is a great guy and really knows his stuff. They do rooftop delivery (a must for a DIY in my opinion). If you buy your supplies there he’ll give you a deal on renting a shingle hog as well. It’s basically a pneumatic snow shovel that will GREATLY cut down on the work of the tearoff.

http://www.sheldonwholesale.com

It is a small house 1000 sqft medium pitch and 1-1/2 car garage, so my budget is whatever will get me some decent stuff that will protect the house while I am here and hold up well for resale 5-7 years down the road. Really would prefer rooftop delivery even if it costs a bit more per square plus the delivery fee. Thanks for the heads up I will do some calling around tomorrow.
@sobo I need to get with you for a quote on some windows!

I have a really nice shingle rake that you can borrow if you are tearing off existing.

That would be greatly appreciated, I will get in touch with you when I’m ready to tear off. Just finishing up about 700sqft of hardwood floor restoration and then installing moulding throughout. Close to move in!

We went to Rucker for the house 2 years ago. Just did driveway delivery and muscled the bundles up. Wasn’t too bad with 2 ladders and people on top the schlep them across the roof.

Rucker isn’t the cheapest but they have quality stuff imo.

You have more “gumption” than me good sir.

There was a pro roofing crew next door and I watched a guy load 2 sheets of 4x8 plywood up on his arm, shift it around to get it balanced just right against his head, they he proceeded to walk right up the ladder faster than I can carrying nothing. I’m pretty sure I would have more luck levitating two sheets of plywood onto the roof through mind power alone than carrying them up a ladder like that. Same dude would take double bundles of shingles up like it was nothing.

23.75 a bundle if purchased at quantity

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Lifetime-Timberline-Natural-Shadow-Shakewood-SG-Shingles-0601737/100658107

Starter shingles will cut way down on waste

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Pro-Start-Eave-and-Rake-Starter-Strip-Shingles-1126000/202052408?MERCH=RV--rv_nav_plp_rr--NA--202052408--N

Ice and water sheild, don’t fuck up when you peal the plastic you get one shot once it hits the roof it is staying wherever it touches.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-StormGuard-2-sq-ft-Roll-Film-Surfaced-Leak-Barrier-0915000/100083515

Synthetic underlay, Much easier to work with than felt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-FeltBuster-48-in-x-250-ft-1000-sq-ft-Synthetic-Roofing-Underlayment-0970/205035868

nails for synthetic underlay

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-12-x-1-in-Plastic-Round-Cap-Roofing-Nail-3-000-Pack-GCB1/100111688

Ice and water sheild goes down as your first row of underlay. 36" I just did 2 square at my moms house to prep her roof for solar and I am doing 7 square on my garage as well as adding a ridge vent to prep the roof for solar as well when we get a couple days in a row with nice weather.

Seriously think out your movements when you peal the plastic on the ice and water shield. It can be a real bastard if your are careless.

Make sure you pull a permit too. This is one of those jobs that you really don’t want to try sneaking past the town inspector. Amherst, who can be pricks, were actually really good about mine. It was done over the weekend when the inspector wasn’t there so he just told me what they wanted to see for ice/water barrier and other code things and had me take pictures. He stopped by when the job was complete to sign off and just asked that I email him the pictures.

Thanks for that suggestion, I would have probably forgotten about that. Luckily I have yet to be bothered by any inspectors during the interior renovation. I am in a culdesac off a side street in North Tonawanda and it is a fairly quiet area with no traffic.

You can cut small pieces of the peel away backing so you can “tack” small areas, or hammer tack a corner, pull it in place, line it up, then pull off half the backer and stick it. Then peel the other half of the backer.

I am curious to see how pricing from other places compares to home depot so please post what you end up getting

So far I have not found anyone as cheap as Home Depot but I don’t believe they do rooftop delivery. A friend of mine recommended Lenco, but I have not looked into it much yet and I would prefer to stick to the recommended GAF brand shingle. He said he paid around $2000 for 1700sqft of plywood felt ice barrier and shingles delivered. I believe that was contractor pricing though.

if you are purchasing more than 2k go to the pro desk with a list of everything you need for your project. they will gather it for you, deliver it and work the pricing for you.

Keep in mind the GAF shingles from homie-d are not the same GAF’s you will be buying at another wholesale distributor.

GAF Timberline High Def are typically what you will find from a normal wholesaler. Although they are not advertised this way, they are definitely heavier than the standard Timberline from Home depot. They also have better shadowing and more definition.

Personally, if it was my house I wouldn’t put GAF on it, but since it is a garage - you should be more than fine. GAF traditionally has the lowest weight per square of shingle in the industry, meaning they’re apt to skimp out on the asphalt and tar parts of the shingle in favor of fibreglass mat. Certainteed, while more expensive - is happy to tell you just what their shingles weigh - for a good reason.

You used to be able to get Certainteed for about $79sq at Sheldon Wholesale with rooftop delivery (They use a shitty drywall boom though instead of a knuckle truck).