where to live near Boston

well it looks like I’ll be moving to MA for school come Sept., so I’m doing some research right now on prospective living areas

I’ll be going to school in Lowell, will be living with friends who will also be going there for school + working in Waltham. So we’re thinking of picking someplace where the commute wouldn’t be too bad <30min.

We couldn’t be living in Boston because of the cost and the traffic. I was looking at areas north, maybe slightly west such as Burlington, Bedford, Chelmsford, North/ Andover, etc.

Which areas are good areas? I live in Town of Tonawanda now, and I’d like something similar (or Amherst-like) without paying outrageous rent. I heard Lowell isn’t so nice, comments?

Lastly any little known resources that can be of help in finding living arrangements? I’ve already checked most of the craigslist/major rental websites. Something that would show mostly private rentals (as oppose to those corporate rental companies)? The place I live at now, I lucked out and found it in Buffalo News classifieds in a small ad. So any local forums, online bulletinboard, etc, feel free to post them.

Thanks

my cousin just moved there a few months ago for work.

i’ll find out where he lives.

what school are you going to?

UMass Lowell