which car would you choose?

Let’s be honest, neither of these are known for their good resale…

my audi is worth more than when I got it. Like everybody said, if you can’t decide between the two then get the subaru for sure. I know I wouldn’t get the subaru or any audi with a 1.8

Audi

This is a really tough one, each car really has it’s pro’s and cons that may or maynot be important to you. I do love my avant and its overall fit and finish. Its going on 7 years old and still looks great, I think it will for years to come yet too. I know I am going to have typical audi parts/issues to replace along the way (but all cars have some known issues too) The subie is probably better in this aspect and with cost of the repairs. But the audi I would say is better looking, nicer fit and finish, stays better looking longer, more options overall and the auid “perception” if that matters to you (you can look at that as a good or bad perception).

I am very happy with mine though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/jeller/3d41f477.jpg

you are basing on one transaction there. numbers dont lie,the fact is that subaru clearly score higher on the value retention.

the transaction that I take part in is the only one that matters to me :smiley:

but yeah, you’re right that subaru should beat audi for holding value.

x2^ I was thinking about that also.

My Mom’s was still in pretty good shape rust wise, very minimal. She turned around and sold it for 5.5k after 190k. Vermont has a high demand for Subarus, to say the least.

A lot of people are overlooking the obvious here… the two cars aren’t even close in price or class.

For fun I looked up the KBB private party value for the following, in “Very Good” condition.

2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T, 50k miles, what ever options KBB turned on by default: $23,360

2008 Subaru Forester Sports X Sport Utility 4D, 50k miles, what ever options KBB turned on by default: $16,168

That $7200 is huge. In order to get the two into the same budget the Audi is going to be older with way more miles. Tack on Audi’s less than awesome reliability as they get older with higher miles and this seems like a no brainer.

But yeah, I’ll admit I’d much rather own the Audi. But if I was going to buy the Audi I’d make sure it was in my budget to buy a well cared for one and be realistic about it’s odds for requiring expensive German parts sometimes.

He originally said A4 not S4.

He typo’ed as the S4 doesnt have a 2.0t he ment to type A4

Fixed, typo on my part. Those prices I looked up were for an A4.

If an A6 Avant could tow my boat I would have seriously considered it instead of the Murano. It would have been a real battle though because my wife hates wagons.

But the picture he put up was of a B6 avant. So that would be pre 2005.5 or older if that is what he is looking at…

Agreed that they are 2 different price points in regards to year and mileage factors.

Regardless, what ever specifics he’s looking at the Subaru is going to be newer, in better shape with less miles for the same money. That was my point.

Agreed^ it’s not really an even match price wise, as they were very different when new also. The “value” is in the subaru for sure.

Love me some Avant.