New daily driver... bmw vs audi .. opinions?

We’ll i’ll be looking to get a new daily driver soon (4 door sedan) and i’m unsure of what to pursue. I currently have a 97 Audi a4. I like it, have no issues. My wife drives a 99 528i. I like it, have no issues.

So now i’m torn. I like the nimbleness of the A4, and the 528i is not to shabby either. I’m looking for opinions from people who have driven one or the other or maybe both brands.

Opinion section…
Is the 3 series bmw superior to the a4?
How about A6 vs 528i?
Reliability?
Fun factor?
Features?

I’d most likely be buying somewhat of an older model, say 1997-2002 or so.

Thoughts?

I’ve driven both and I feel that the BMWs are always more enjoyable to drive if you know what you’re doing. The audi is foolproof and will keep you out of trouble, but they always end up feeling limiting just when I’m starting to have fun. The newer quattro system are a lot better, but if you’re looking at 97-02 you’re going to get a crappy quattro with no limit slips at the front or back which make them dull and very under-steer prone. As far as reliability my opinion is that the bmw will have more little annoying things to fix but the audi comes with risks for expensive items to break (turbos, awd parts) so it will be more expensive to keep running but with fewer visits to the mechanic.

one last note: the nimbleness of your A4 over the 528 is only because of the size difference. If you compare a similar year BMW 3 to your A4 the BMW will be much more nimble / eager to change direction without drama

i must say i am leaning towards the bmw side… My fun pretty much stops at the end of an on ramp on the thruway, lol, then i just drive like and old man and want to be comfortable.

What about a G35? Won’t have the random electrical disasters of an old Audi or the Bimmer tax.

If he’s looking at 10 year old BMW’s and Audi’s I’m guessing his budget is about a third of what it would take for a clean G35.

EDIT: Scratch that. I didn’t realize that G35’s can be had for under $15k in decent shape with 75-80k miles. Not too shabby. I’d definitely go with a 75k G35 over a 75k German car. But what do I know. I also like Genny Light.

i actually haven’t considered Infiniti, not much of a japanese car guy. i’ll have to take a look though.

Does an 03 G35 really go for much more than an 00-02 audi/bmw? Im unfamiliar with the market, I just remember the G35 blowing away the competition when it came out

I don’t know about that, the G35 was the interesting new kid at school, not the best athlete. It’s still worth a test drive and might fall somewhere in the middle which might be the compromise he wants.

I’m actually just a bit partial to the bmw e39s, e36s, e46s, and audi b5/b6s, and C5s. i think they look good and I do have a good mechanical familiarity with them as well, so that helps. Just stuck in the middle right now. :smiley:

G35 is a great car, especially if you find one with Brembos. My parents have had one since 2004 and other than general maintenance(pads, tires, battery, etc…), it never needs servicing.

E39 BMW’s(non m) are dumb cheap to maintain. I really wish I never sold my 03 525i, with sport package they are a blast to drive and are still very comfortable. No LSD and a lil underpowered are my chief complaints. One of the best cars I have ever owned.

How about taking a look at an older E class

BMW more fun to drive, Audi will be better in the snow (for the most part)

X…

i was in this same situation. I was looking for newer cars. was looking at some A4’s for the most part. Ended up test driving a few. Then i decided to look at some newer 3 series (e90), ended up liking it a lot better. Drove a lot smoother than the A4. As xander said…probably won’t be as good in the snow as the A4, however the BMW i think will be more fun.

Have you thought about b6 s4 I have one and over all it seems to be a great dd. Plenty of power decent interior and quite nice looking in my oponion

i was definitely keeping in mind b6 s4s. My only reservation was with that twin turbo v6… i wasn’t sure about the reliability of the TT engine. They also seem a bit more difficult to find so far in my searches.

Ya know now that i think of it, i saw a B6 s4 at the gas station this morning and i thought it sounded way too good to be a V6.

A B6 s4 is the 8 cylender. The B5 s4 is the 2.7T. Have you looked into an A6 with the 4.2 Litter v8? Comfortable with AWD and a good amount of power.

well son of a… That changes everything, lol. I have been looking at the A6 and they look pretty decent as well. The V8 in the S4 changes my thinking completely now though…

Audi has better ergonomics (interior, the BEST factory nav systems, and other tactile items) than BMW.
BMW is a lot more entertaining to drive and when you want to have fun just turn off DSC.
I honestly hated my G35 and G37 rentals I have had, just boring and felt cheap. They are a not bad sub $20k car, but I would never buy one new.

i agree with this…