which turbo would u guys recommend for my new set up over winter

im not sure if this is the place to post this but im in a terrible debate and looking for some feedback from some people.
im not exactly sure on what turbo id like to upgrade to for my sr setup. i have a power fc and nismo 740 injectors to rock with.
iv been doing some research and i kinda like the idea and simplicity of these tomei arms turbo setups just because u get everything u need with it at a reasonable price.
so what would u guys go with my other option iv been considering is a precision part number ptb205-5128b, ptb305-5128b
i understand that the tomei are not ball bearing and the precision is so im expecting it to spool faster and have more usable power.
but i dont have much experiance with upgrading turbos and dyno and whatnot.

so thoes of u who have more experiance in this matter your oppinion will be greatly appreciated.
how much more spool am i gonna get roughly.and im not going for max output just yet. i want in the 300 to 350 range for now cause im running a stock block and head sr. iv put 35000 on my engine and tracked it pretty hard it burns zero oil and runs great.
im not considering building a engine this season maybe next or if i pop this one.
thanks in advance for your oppions people

scott

http://www.frsport.com/images/user_products/tome_armsturbo/armsdynochart.jpg

the tomei turbos are a great value because they include gaskets and braided lines. the smaller one spools by 3500 and the larger at 4200 (keep in mind that is a 2.2L SR so 2.0 will take a little longer)

my GT2871R .64 spools around 3800, but if i could do it again would go with GT2860r(s). the 2871 is good if you want to make 400 but 2860 is a better choice for 300.

and from what i understand, precision turbos use garrett center sections and redesigned wheels and housings. i would personally stick with garrett who is the world leader in performance turbochargers and who supplied the turbo orginally on that sr20, they recently release the GTX28 series which flow more air at higher pressures. the GTX2863 laid down over 400whp!!

project 240sx. What are you using this car for? Drift? Grip? Street? All of the above? My 240 it track use only (grip) and Ive have been running a 2871r .64 for 5 years now and I recommend this turbo to anyone in the 330-400 whp range. Realistically with the right bolt ons at 15-18 psi you will make 350 whp. In terms of spool, I am making over 300 ft lbs torque at 3400 rpm. My car is stupid fast on corner exit. I can pull on a tuned z06 from stop to 220 kph up hill at Mosport (z06 wins from 220 kph-240 kph):slight_smile: Only thing I would go with other then that is the GTX turbos. They are on paper 10% more efficient, but you can probably get the 2871 r for a great price now that the replacement is out. 2871 r is very reliable, versatile and it will be good for any type of driving.!!! Lag sucks…dont go with anything bigger. Hope this helps.

conky what is your setup??
power etc?
pull a tuned zo6? i have a hard time beliving that u sure the guy is going ballsout?
z06 has been my goal since starting my build… i ran a z06 at tmp when my car had 367hp with a bad rt out the hole due to street tires with week traction but he had me the whole way down the track

the red one looks fun :>

I street drive my car and I drift for fun around 4-5 times a summer.
I’m considering doing Cscs just to see how it goes.
That precision turbo I listed above is supposed to be better than the 2871r.
It’s a brand new one.
I’m guessing would be comparable to the new xmodel 2871r.
But im not sure exactly.
Hard to find much info on the precision cause it’s new.
I like how the arms comes with everything but that’s really only gonna cost me max extra 200 on top of the precision.
And it’s not like I don’t like the 2871r. But everyone has and uses them. I jus feel like trying something different.
Thanks for all the options here.
Keep them Comming.
I’m buying around Xmas time.
So I still have sometime to research and hear what everyone has to say.
Thanks again guys.
Scott

Haha a non believer? First off, if he had you out of the hole, even if you had the same HP, you will never catch him. But there is more to speed then just PEAK hp. My car has made many different power bands with the same turbo charger. Currently, I am running stock S15 cams that Coltcams did a re grind on, but they are concidered ‘mild’. AEM EMS and a custom clutch from Quarter Master. The entire clutch, flywheel, and starter gear assembly weighs only 13 pounds. Plus it is all centered on a 5.5" rotating mass. Imagine how fast the engine builds boost when you shave over 20 lbs off the rotating mass? Sure it isn’t street able, but I don’t street it :slight_smile: Both vids are @ 15 psi same day.

Here is a vid of my S14 playing with a “tuned” (right out of the drivers mouth) z06. It was not coincidence that my camera was pointing backwards. We were both going all out, but it was a lapping day so we had some traffic.

Here is some in car from earlier in the day

Different is good, but GTX is better :slight_smile: Just remember that HP is not worth the lag… Lag sucks

i think thats more acase of driver

i dont want lag but i want a potencial for higher hp in the future. thats y im think the precision will be better than the arms. arms in only journal bearing.
my friends stands by precision huge and i think i want to stick with them vs garret but i like oppions.
i can always change if someone has something better that they know off or have used.
scott

The most informative (but lengthy) thread on the 2871 .64/.86. There are many propitious set ups for various power/response goals here.

If you’re contemplating the GTX:

Zilvia tech section has an abundance of information and many users who don’t mind answering questions (unless already addressed).

Doing the same thing as everyone else isn’t a bad thing. Its not like your going to drive a 350whp gt2871r setup and be like this is stupid cuz someone else did it. Horsepower is horsepower.

GT2871R is the least lag and best bang for buck to get to 320+ whp all the way up to 400whp.

GTX is the better option if you want even higher horsepower but want to retain the limited lag.

Ballbearing is the only way to go imo, lag kills the fun in turbo cars. I’ve driven a non ball bearing version that precision has of the gt2871r equivelant, it did pull hard, but the lag was ridicoulous. Especially if you plan on keeping the level of your drift days constant (lag makes drifting alot harder, you would need to enter corners alot faster).

Not to mention the gt2871r can give you an almost flat torque curve when you hit boost, with the right cams of course. For drifting and lapping that is amazing.

I’ll back tomei since I have the arms 7960. I hit 16lbs between 3200-3600 and the power comes on so smooth you don’t notice “lag”. There’s deffinently lag till full power as with any turbo but again it’s smooth no jarring sudden burst of power. Tomei is a quality company with awesome customer support. Based on converstations with their engineers they feel their turbo spools just as fast as the big name ball bearing ones. Also the fact it can be rebuilt if needed is nice. I had one of their first turbos which had some leakage from the seals. Tomei fixed it up for me and put new seals in, its been running great since. I am content in the 300-400 hp range as my car is a dd 8 months a year and only see’s a couple track days for fun.

If you want the tomei arms kits. Enjukuracing has it on sale for black Friday. its 1100

And to answer your previous question Frank, my S14 puts down 330 whp /320 torque @ 15 psi tune. At 18 psi, 355 whp/333 torque. But Im converting the ignition system to GM coilpacks and tuning for high octane fuel next year. Hoping for 375 whp with the same 2871r .64. Any chance you can scan your dyno plot to see the power and torque curves vs my own? Im always curious to see different setups. Clearly you are making more hp, but I want to compare torque curves. Ill look for my own as well. Thanks

well it seems like gt2871 may be my route after all. any vendors wanna pm some prices for turbo with lines and drains and i think it needs a restrictor as well.
everyhing needed to bolt in my car with a stock manifold.
thanks everyone
scott

http://i47.tinypic.com/20910m9.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

and at this now…

still your torque is better tho

rt means nothing. You can sit there for a minute scratching your head, the 1/4mile counter only begins as soon as you leave the line. 60’ is what you’re after. Seems you and the z06 were pretty on par for that one, yet it still pulled over a second on the 1/4 time :stuck_out_tongue:

what i meant was i have to take it easy out the gate

Here is the dyno plot off my SR with 2871r .64. Torque madness!! :slight_smile: Both are the same map, but first one shows peak HP, the other Peak Torque. For those who cant read dyno maps its 355.6 whp, 345.9 torque.

Clearly my car doesn’t make as much power as a lot of street machines, but my torque curve it what makes my car go like stink. And its very smooth. Power and torque are almost equal so it is very easy to predict. No sudden burst of anything…its just always in power.
[ATTACH]22611[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22612[/ATTACH]

damn.