gt 3071r?

Is anyone using this turbo in the S.O.? If so could you give me an overview on it? Is it cost effective compared to maybe running a gt2540 or a gt28rs.

nate

I found a site last nite that listed almost all brand name turbo upgrades and kits available for the SR20. It was sick. The site broke it down not only by manufacturer but also their individual kits and showed compressor and turbine info, A/R, wastegate type…etc…

…unfortunately I can’t find the site now. If anyone knows what i’m talking about post it. Also stealth316 is a pretty good site. Has lots of flow maps as well as formulas to figure out A/R as well as how to convert flow measurements to and from CFM and such.

Also if any mods find it maybe you can make it a sticky in the tech section as it’s a pretty good site.

Also man choosing a turbo based on cost isn’t really a good move. You want a turbo based on what you want the car to do. Consider you desired HP, supporting mods etc… then pic your turbo from there.

haha…cost is such a line of shit to be honest man!!! And shit guy I know how to read compressor maps and can effectively choose supporting mods to reach desired HP. I have spent large coin on turbos and wastegates alone…on several different setups…I know that a GT35R is not a good street turbo the wheels and the .82 a/r exhaust housing I had are too big to street that thing. Although some people prefer to think ietherwise, they know that it owns the highway and the strip. The T3/T4 are peices of pooh since GT technology is available now. One thing that i don’t know about is these turbos such as the 25/40 and 3071r with there little ass .64 and .86 a/r exhaust and massive T4 S housings and how great they are? I think cams will be required to run this turbo to pick up on top end and throttle response like the stocker does! But whatever. If people are real successful running the disco potato (gt28rs) than I think that it will be a peice of cake running a 3071r. I just wanted to know what people thought about it!

I guess there isn’t too many people running the 3071r.

later
nate

This thread is getting alot of hits…does anyone else want this turbo? I can get them for cheap. Pheonix Turbo has them for 1300 US. I can probably get this turbo for about 1000 CAD We usually deal with these guys for turbos so I can get sick deals on this stuff. If you so happen to be interested in a GT3071r or any other turbo on that site for that matter let me know and I will see what I can do to get some kinda order together.

Nate

it’s a completely silly turbo to run for street use. it’s the next gen. of turbo development beyond the GT30… bigger front end mostly. Maybe if you setup your new gear box to be close ration so you can live in the top 25% of your powerband it may work for the track, otherwise it’s simply a very high revving drag turbo. if someone gets this and uses it on the street… I will put money against them with any of the T03b -sr20 cars I build…

.71mm To4S P trim sized wheel sized to a T04E .56 AR housing… 60mm turbine wheel at .84A/R that is one huge ass turbine wheel and the .63 AR housing which is the smallest i’ve been able to find… this turbo is more suited to a J ported or P porterd 13B-rew or RB25/26 & 1JZ 2.5L high rpm motors looking to make 450hp or so…

not really a 2.0L speced turbo…

This looks to be a pretty good turbo for someone looking to make somewhere in the range of 400whp. Enthalpy has had pretty good luck with these turbos running big numbers on the dyno with resonable spool times. He’s recorded 15psi at as little as 3700rpm so the argument that they don’t spool very quick doesn’t wash. It will be slower than a T28 but not that much slower. If you are looking for faster spooling turbo that produces a little less power the GT2871R is a good option. Enthalpy recomends that turbo to 350-375whp so it would still be plenty of fun. Green93, what kind of prices can you get for a 2871?

… you have zero clue what your talking about…

go google one… a clue that is.

Don’t start.

Let’s keep this civilized.

Yeah I don’t have a clue…which is why I went to Fresh Alloy’s favorite dyno man: Enthalpy. I dug around and found some of the dyno plots that were posted for the turbo and some of the comments that were made by guys who have actually built and tuned SR’s with this turbo, not just lazy keyboard racers like myself. I figure if the GT3071R .64 is good enough for Scott’s street car it good enough for the rest of us.

… that’s it? lol

I would have to agree that the 3071r would be pretty decent street turbo. The wheels are small and the exhaust a/r 's are tight enough to spoole desently too. Enthalpy… I’ve heard that name before. I think I seen the red 240 with sr20 using the GT30/40…that car is sick fast. but anyways, I don’t completely agree with rotorkami wa because the 3071r is more or less a streeted turbo.

Wheel trim is Inducer divided by Exducer. It really has nothing to do with the physical size of a wheel.

Compressor

.50 a/r 4inch inlet

71mm 56 trim wheel

flow: 46lbs/min

max WHP rating: 475whp

Turbine

T2 flanged .86 a/r

57mm 90 trim wheel

There that is the specs for the 3071r

This turbo is not that big man…as compared to something like a GT30R

First of all you cant fit a big ass wheel in a little T2 housing, plus anything that only flows like 46lbs a minuet isn’t real big…and i would have to comment that this turbo would be great to use on an SR20DET with upgraded valve train, cams & gears, clutch, flywheel, metal head gasket, ARP headstuds and a chipped ECU. Close ratio trannies are for people who have millions of dollars for racing. Plus if I were to drag race I would rather pull a Marco and dogbox my tranny. lol

boMex, i would have to say that the price of the 2871 would be about as close as the 3071r But I will check for you to make sure!!

Nate

" plus anything that only flows like 46lbs a minuet isn’t real big"

what ?!?!!?

as a comarison the T28 flows ~12lbs at 15PSI
The T3 Super 60 flows 22lbs at 15spi with a max of ~30lbs…

46lbs is allot of flow. also 71mm ?? not big ? a super 60 T3 is only 60mm and that’s in a 03b size… your talking a massive GTP trim. not only are both wheels larger but they also carry with them a hell of allot more weight that a small 2L needs to overcome.

3071 is a great turbo… for a 7M, RB or JZ motor.

that’s my thoughts on it… I’m out.

Here is Oni-Kage’s dyno plot for his GT3071R .63 equiped SR20DET.

http://www.sfu.ca/~mbae/s14/dyno-actual.jpg

This run was with exhaust manifold, exhaust, intake…basic bolt ons only. No cams or aftermarket intake manifold. A/F was avg. 11.5 (very conservative) and boost was 1.1bar (16PSI-ish). Further tunning and cams would really open this turbo up. Since this plot was made Oni-Kage has installed a Fullrace manifold and is now reporting 16psi at 3700-3800rpm. Below is a dyno run with the new parts added at 19PSI and still conservative 11.5 A/F.

http://www.sfu.ca/~mbae/s14/dyno(19.55psi)Ac.jpgThe car is now hitting 19-21psi as the same place it use to only see 16psi. Cams, GReddy intake manifold and this car will be well on it’s way to 400whp on the street. As you can see the power band is very strong from 4000-7500rpm. With some work the powerband could be pushed a little more to something like 3700-8000rpm, hardly a super narrow 2000rpm powerband turbo. The GT3071R.63 seems to be the new turbo of choice for high power street cars with the whos-who of the SR20DET tunning world.

Just for comparison I have included a dyno run of a GT2871R .63 v. GT2871R .84

I would be interested in seeing a few dyno sheets from some of the SR20’s you’ve built and tuned. It would go a long way to support your side of the debate.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~raza/owned-cat.jpg

WHY would you EVER argue against Enthalpy.

I don’t need to worry about my ‘claims’ as it’s basic forced induction principals.

That turbo removed the long broad torque curve of the SR and turns it into a peaky high power car… as long as you’ve got a nice close ratio gearset that’s meshed with that power band then it’s GTG. However most people don’t have an aftermarket gearset and most people want the 300+ before the 1/2way point of the power band. a smaller T03B super 60 is less then 1/2 the cost and gets you the same poswer down around 28-3000 depending on your intake setup. wth 50% boost pressure happening down in the low 2000 range. it also maintains the torque curve profile better then this one…

AS I said earlier great turbo, for 2.5L 6’s and up.

what’s ‘ownage’ is you throwing out the ownage when you have no clue what’s being talked about… that’s ownage…

…so to make a long story short you’re not posting up any dyno? I don’t know about you but I really prefer a nice dyno plot to theretical hp figures. The little lines make more sense to me that all that silly math stuff.

I don’t know If I would call a 3500-4500rpm wide powerband peaky. Especially when that powerband makes more hp at the wheel than a stock SR at the crank at a fairly tame 4000rpm. I know most of the 240’s you have a reference don’t have much done to the driveline but I know my car will see around a 2000rpm drop with a fairly mild shift. that means short shifting the car at 6000rpm (most tuned SR are setup to hit 8000rpm) would still land you at around 4000rpm, still in the meat of the powerband.

300+ before the 1/2way point of the power band. a smaller T03B super 60 is less then 1/2 the cost and gets you the same poswer down around 28-3000 depending on your intake setup.
I’m not sure if this helps you argument or hurts it but I dug up some Super 60/SR20 dyno’s. Car below seems kinda wrong. I’ll see if I can post a better one.

http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/photopost/data/500/8805Oke_s_dyno-med.jpgnumbers are for 7, 11 and 13psi

The little lines make more sense to me that all that silly math stuff.

Yeah I kinda figured that with you.

so your randomly grabbing dyno sheets of SR/super60’s off the internet with no background to them what so ever to demonstrate a point? wow it’s not only math it seems… when you can buy a turbo for yourself that isn’t 2 months from death becuse you don’t kow how to tell if one is toast or not… then try to discuss this, so far all you’ve done is profile allot of dyno charts with no substance with it… who knows how the tests were performend on what type of dyno system, and what particulars about engine/ fuel/setup this person(s) had… Your just throwing your google queen crap out and coming up with aero ACTUAL useable info. Oh sure… maybe for someone who is JUST starting out in the turbo world you could almost convince them you actually were making a point… maybe. idiot

SUBSTANCE… google that, grunt.

Rotor does have a point there. To post a dyno is strictly bench racer style. I know you mean to be helpful but like he said add more info to your point. Supporting mods are a must see and like he said dyno’s vary. I’ve seen cars make 30 hp more or less on different dyno’s and the vehicle(s) was running the same setup/boost every time.

As far as the turbo itself 46lbs is a pretty decent turbo IMO. I was running an FP3052 on my Talon before i sold it. It was a little bigger than this and i found while it was streetable I was concerned about running that power on stock internals. But then again can’t really make a fare comparison cause of AWD vs RWD…not to mention the lumber of the 2G Talons weak 7 bolt block.

Rotor you really should mellow out a bit when you speak to people though man. You seem like a knowledgable guy now just fine tune your people skills a little…remember when day even you may be proven wrong and you probably wouldn’t appreciate being talked down to in such a way. However i do understand the point your trying to make.

Rotor you really should mellow out a bit when you speak to people though man. You seem like a knowledgable guy now just fine tune your people skills a little…remember when day even you may be proven wrong and you probably wouldn’t appreciate being talked down to in such a way. However i do understand the point your trying to make.

Just with Bomex and his cronies…

I’ve been proven wrong and even said some wrong things without even knowing it. with corrected info given in a cordial manner I accept it cordially.

Regardles… my whole point was although this is a great turbo I’ve yet to comacross ANY customer with a 240/SR that would find the point of ‘spool’ to be acceptable .

move this turbo to a 2.5L I6 and you’ve got yourself a honker.

spool is for pussy

powerbands starting 200 rpm before 7250 is for cool people