While I'm on the subjects of laptops

Some dude is specing a laptop for some new lady we’re hiring…and she showed me the specs, and I said to ask for a core 2 duo system price…and this is what the dude said:

“Intel architecture is far behind AMD so down the road when you need to run 64 bit os’s and applications you will have to buy a new laptop. Intel has good marketing but outdated technology in their processors. I can find one for you but INTEL is usually in the prefab mainstream market (dell ect…) This is a custom laptop built from the ground up by hand and I’m sure they can and do put in INTEL chips, but I personally recommend AMD64. I am not staples,best buy, dell. ect… I tailor systems to specific business needs, and I am Microsoft certified, so when I set up your laptop it is built and certified to my personal standards. Store brands are cookie cutter machines and they are set up that way. I can also get a dual core AMD but it will cost more and usually comes with media center instead of pro, for business pro is the best os. ( I guarantee that the single core AMD will out perform any INTEL core 2 duo, even the large XEON Intel chips can compete with AMD architecture).”

Thoughts, ravings, benchmarks?

intel chips get “de-clocked” from the factory i know that

From what I was aware of it was supposed to be the other way around. Especially in the portable market with the Core 2 Duo unless I missed something. Supposed to be an excellent processor. Especially for portable needs.

Pentium M FTW with laptops 5-6 hour battery life w00t

that guy.,.,. he is trying to over talk you… i would talk to him and make him feel stupid too.

processors are processors for the everyday user… and unless your some crazy (ninja) gamer, it doesn’t really matter what you have (amd vs intel).

The guy is spouting shit, to put it honestly. The single core AMD chips will NOT out perform the Core 2 Duo chips. The Core 2 Duo is a superior chip. There are dual core mobile Athlon chips and they’re ok, but I think as of right now Intel has them beat. This guy is your typical, “I think I know everything” computer guy. I’d be very very weary of having him build a “custom” laptop. What’s his warranty on his work? Are parts covered? Tech support? I build my own computers for myself, but I would never build a laptop. I’d prefer buying one.

Oh and as for media center and xp pro, the only and I mean ONLY thing that Media Center cannot do that XP Pro can, is join a domain and you can registry hack Media Center to join a domain if you want to.

This guy is kinda like the guy who spews out “Macs are better than PCs”

lol :eekdance: :eekdance:

someone link me to a bechmark test I can email to him…he’s suggested she get the:

AMD Turion64 X2 TL-50(1.6GHz)

or AMD Turion 64 MT-30

more cores is deffinitely better than 64 bits.

Most apps aren’t even designed to run on 64 bits yet, even if they were more cores is way faster.

His statement doesn’t even make sense, guy sounds like a douche.

aren’t the 2.0+ core 2 duos 64 bit anyway?

Yes they are.

Here is a link for you. Toms Hardware is a well known website for testing and giving honest opinions about this stuff…

LINK

do NOT have some guy build a laptop…

well technically 64bit every processor… soo… it is a jump start there… but… custom laptops LOL what a bitch

aside from quad-core processors, the intel core 2 duo is the best processor on the market. hands-down

haha, sorry to tell you man, but most every chip gets"de-clocked".

Story of a proc from factory to your hands: it gets made and the quality of the ‘ingredients’ is what makes a chip faster/slower. So a chip of the same architecture/pin count are all made at the same time in the same place (for the most part). Then they are tested and thrown into bins of the highest speed they can run at with reliability. But there in lies the rub, if amd runs out of say 2.0Ghz procs and they need to fill and order, they just take a bunch out of any other bin that is rated higher than 2.0 and underclock it to 2.0. So you never know if the chip you get is running at its maximum reliable clock speed or if it has been down-clocked to meet a demand.

Good example: Intel PentiumD 805’s were recently tested and proven by Tom’s hardware to be able to run at stable speeds of over 4Ghz, with just air cooling. why?

they were down-clocked chips to meet a budget-priced chip demand.

for you or for work?

why are you having a custom built one anyways. im sure if its through your business then you get a hell of a business deal if you went that route

I’m still stuck on why it takes someone to build a laptop to someone’s specific needs?

All you need to know is:

o What software? Business oriented spreadsheets? Multimedia (DVDs, Graphical, etc)?

o External outputs? Projectors for presentations?

o What OS is the user or your business use? Most likely XP Pro. Or is the business expecting to jump into Vista soon?

o Wireless capabilities? Does the person travel a lot? Wifi capabilities are a must these days.

o Weight/Size? Will the person want utility of size? External DVD drive ok? Or everything built in?

o Computer aptitude of the user?

o Maximum price?

Pretty much any 64 bit processor with a decent chunk of RAM (1GB) will run XP Pro sufficiently. 3 years down the road, when the battery is screwed up and the Hard drive hasn’t failed multiple times from going to standby, then the company can upgrade for a Vista capable machine…

Oh I know this, and I would just say buy a dell or HP…this is some dude she knows and I know that people are going to like that price.

+1

should buy a mac anyway :wink: