Whiskey & Bourbon thread

From what I understand, that would interpret as cleaner. The more plates (Glass windows) in a still the higher it rises and the more separation of elements not wanted in the whiskey.

I think this one separates them, but shoot me a PM and I’ll send you the contact info.

I have been lucky enough to try a huge amount of different whisk(e)y producers and bottlings. Ardbeg’s Corryvreckan is by far my favorite whisky at the moment.

This thread reminds me of a time cougarspeed and I killed some whiskey (idfk what kind) and I somehow ended up with stickers on my car, woke up at 3pm and apparently ate salami and cheese.

And that is why whiskey is a sipper not a slammer

Sent from my MotoX using Tapatalk

It was a sipper.

We unfortunately sipped whiskey for too long lol.

I believe we were drinking Lagavulin and Ardbeg

pffft

Accurate. We have great pace together ha

I have at least 4 different bottles from Texas coming my way that I can’t seem to find outside of Texas. Herman marshal small batch rye, one of ~25 bottles available in the state (so im told) and a Garrison Brothers whiskey. Color me excited

Also representing the Scotch crew. Still a beginner so I need the ice to really dilute the strength, but hopefully switching over to the rocks sometime soon.

Had a friend stay over this weekend, he brought me a bottle of this. delicious.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/jeffersonsbourbon.jpg

we also got into the old rip van winkle i previously posted. its good, but i think its overpriced.

A vendor brought me this yesterday, havent had a chance to dive in yet

http://www.bourbonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/garrison_brothers_texas_straight_bourbon_whiskey.gif

A friend of mine from Texas was back home last week and sent me out a care package that I should receive later today pending UPS delivering. I’ll post up when I know what it is.

My current staples are Wild Turkey 101 and Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel

In the cabinet…Jeffersons Presidential Select 21 year, Colonel Taylor’s Small Batch, Tornado Survivor, Black Maple Hill, Smooth Ambler 19 yr, Willet 18 year, Bulleit 10 yr

Havent been drinking scotch much at all since I realized how much I love bourbon… J Walker Gold and Lagavulin were my favorites, but I hadnt tried all that many.

Ive tasted Hirsch 28 year bourbon, and some ultra high proof George T Stagg, which were both phenomenal. Pappys are awesome, if you can get at a fair price. Not worth overpaying unless its a worthy bribe.

care package arrived: inside was …

delicious.

Got a few more, but cant find pics online. Lets see if this works…

http://s10.postimg.org/nkxokkcax/WP_20140321_18_39_04_Pro.jpg

big fan of the Barrel Bourbon. Its barrel strength but oh so tasty with just some ice.

not a huge fan of the hudson

went up to canada this weekend and hit two distilleries.

http://fortycreekwhisky.com/home.html

missed the tour, but was able to try all of their whiskeys, and their rum. beyond the basic “barrel select” I’m not really a fan, save for the Confederation Oak Reserve. Smooth, slightly sweet, and probably wont ever be made again, as its aged 13 years in 150 year old canadian oak barrels that they arent getting any more of. my buddy bought a bottle, but i knew I was grabbing a regular Barrel Select from the duty free, so I passed.

http://dillons.ca/

These guys are doing it right. small batchs of vodka, gin, a white rye, and a pear Eau-de-vie with plenty of rye whiskey aging. They also make about 10 different kinds of bitters from the heads and the tails you get when distilling. the white rye was cool, nothing great, you can tell its young. the gin was absolutely fantastic, with great flavor. the tasting room was all brand new, bright, and their staff was super jazzed about their products. got a tour at this one, but its really just one gigantic custom Carl made still. I should have taken a pic. Whats really neat is they are a pretty “green” company, the collect rainwater to use in the distillation process and their spent rye is given to farmers. I think I remember them saying they were one of only a handful of distillers making full rye products. They also share space with a fairly big winery, the rest of their space was full of gigantic fermentation tanks.

Anyway, its not whiskey, but i picked up a bottle of their gin. If you get a chance, its less than an hour away, just off the QEW, and not sold in the states :tup:

Bump because it’s Monday. I picked up a bottle of Old Pogue and a bottle of Smooth Ambler last week.

good bump is good :tup:

got into some elijah craig last night.

Havent really picked up anything new lately, ran out of room on the bar…

What’s the current inventory? I think I have the two I just mentioned along with Bookers, Woodford, High West, and maybe a couple more at home currently. My favorites so far would have to be Four Roses, Bulleit, and Old Grandad. They all have a higher rye content, so I am going to look for more along those lines.

Pretty much everything ive posted about… I dont actually drink that much and when I do I only have a couple glasses of the good stuff then switch to something lesser.
Elijah Craig 12
jefferson
rock hill farms
garrison bros
makers
forty creek
TX
balcones cask reserve
woodford reserve straight malt
taylor barrel strength
hudson
beckenridge
barrell bourbon
jim beam…

there is a scotch in there as well but i cant remember what it is for the life of me…

I’m a big fan of the higher rye content ones as well.

www.5and20.com I bought a bottle of their first batch last week and was thoroughly impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we get older, do we all start doing the same fucking things?

My half empty bottle of Macallan’s 18 and new bottle of Bulleit Rye sitting on my kitchen counter seem to think we do.

What I’ve noticed is everyone has their different tastes, obviously, just like the vehicles we buy. I like the story of each whiskey / bourbon / scotch I taste - not the background, but mostly the tastes, and how it progresses through. Even if I don’t completely enjoy the flavors, I enjoy the journey.