Whitey's 1993 Nissan 240sx

ok

Very nice times, why do you rekon your spinning off the launch?

I think I have reached the point that I am making enough power that the suspension and differential need to be properly setup for drag racing.

Differential:
I am using a VLSD, this is a locking differential but it is not ideal for drag racing. the VLSD allows one wheel to rotate freely for maybe one rotation then it will lock. So I am thinking it is not putting down consistent power to both wheels.

Suspension:
I am not utilizing a suspension that allows me the advantage of weight transfer. It is a stiff suspension that is made for road racing/drifting. When I watch the car launch on the video the suspension barely moves.

My solutions, I am going to weld an open diff that I have around the shop. That will put power down to both wheels, not very elegant but effective. Suspension I just don’t know. HKS makes drag suspension, and so does K Sport. Cheeks has a set of K Sport Drag coilovers so I might just wait and see how those react when/if he gets his car done. Another option, again not so elegant. Run Stock springs/shock all around. The car will look retarded but I have a hunch it might hook alot better!

Good luck whatever route you choose to take Whitey. Car is looking great BTW

Had to look twice at the front wheels @ the track… looked familiar :wink: BBS knockoff’s ftw

That’s awesome, Whitey. Congrats!

you have a front sway bar on your car whitey??? when i pulled mine on my firebird it was a world of difference… dropped like .2 in the 60’ nothing else changed… scary driving on the road though.

I do have mine on, so I need to undo that as well.

whitey,

could you keep your current front suspension and maybe just change out the rear springs for the stockers, keeping the upgraded dampers? I’m thinking from the auto-x side of things, but I’m thinking this would allow the car to shift weight to the rear, and if you had a rear shock that allowed control over rebound you could stiffen it up so that the back end didn’t hop up once it started to settle after launch. Also, keeping the stiff front springs on would help keep too much weight from shifting forward.

Just a thought, might not make any sense too do it this way. Just thinking cheap and what you might have laying around.

It might be worth checking out of K sport sells a replacement spring for the rear… good call!

cool. the key I think would be damping the rebound so the rear didn’t start hopping after it hooked and the weight started to transfer forward again. I know nothing about drag racing though so take my comments with a grain of salt.

i dont think its that scary at all driving with no front sway, ditch it man!

I had it off for a little bit last year, it took some of the fun out of the car through the bends. it would sort of just plow its way through.

ya, but its not scary or crazy to drive with out it. but at times i do miss going threw bends like an ass

sure as hell didnt take you long to get bored of this car and put it up for sale Mr. Kolar

It will be 3 years in August that I have owned this car… I need single digits.

i am a dick, dont mind me.

It has been a year so might as well give an update. Right around this time last year I got the 400hp setup together and it ran great. Did a track day at Beaver Run and then followed it up with a track day at Quaker City. Everything was fine then driving home from the Hybrid dyno day the head gasket went. Due to time constraints with work it took me till September to get it fixed. It was running great and a blast to drive again. I took it to FLD, ran great all day then on the way home the timing chain broke.

So in the winter I was throwing around ideas. At one point Jeff and I were going to tackle the project of throwing a 2JZ in it and I think LS1 was a thought for some time too. Time was still an issue and I just didn’t have the free time to tackle a project that big.

Last week I started to talk with Mazworx to become a test car for there SR20VE project. This is the same style head they ran in there race cars, they wanted to modify it slightly and turn it into a street car kit. The biggest benefit to this new head is the VVL technology. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVL

The deal got done and tomorrow morning the 240 will make it’s voyage down south. An enclosed trailer will pick it up at my house and deliver it to FL in three days. Hopefully in a months time Jeff and I will travel to Florida to pick up this new high revving beast. Since this is a pretty big project for them I am sure there will be plenty of pictures detailing the process of the transformation.

Like I said in another thread. I can’t believe I have to ship my car 1000 miles just to have Jay work on it!

Thats awesome John! The car has come a very long way I remember the day you got it down the shop, finishing the motor swap, changing the diff and putting the diff back in after it fell out. This build has so many stories behind it awesome project can wait to see it run this summer.

congrats whitey! this thing should rip after jay is done with it…