who can do classic car appraisals?

i have classic car insurance through erie. when i got the insurance they asked me how much its worth. anything above 10,000 they appraise it. i said about 30,000 so they insured it for that for 2 years before they finally sent an appraiser. when i talked to the guy he said he is just a normal adjuster. he didnt know what a turbo was or even fuel injection. he took about 4 pics and said its really nice. well i just got a letter saying its worth 9k. i couldnt even build my motor for that.

so where can i get a third party appraisal?

I can. It’s worth $3200. sell now !

Goto Hagerty insurance and you won’t have to worry about it. www.hagerty.com

My GTO is insured at $40k on just photos from my website. It costs me about $250-$300/yr. I originally had it insured for $25k when I was restoring it (didn’t run), then raised it when I got the car on the road. I think it went up $90 for the extra $15k coverage.

Important points to consider:

• Must be a DD vehicle for every driver in the household
  • They do an MVR on all drivers in the household - so all drivers better have a good record
  • They may want you to have classic or antique plates, but there was no biggie with my personalized plate on my GTO
  • They want lots of photos.
  • Hagerty’s business is to insure classic/antique cars. They are not interested in late model vehicles. They do cover my truck, but it costs twice as much for half the coverage. It is ‘agreed value’ though. You should be ok with your Camaro. They wanted to see lots of pics of the truck before they covered it.
  • My dad had a claim on his convertible about 2 weeks after he got his Hagerty Policy. They sent a ‘classic car’ adjuster out to confirm the car was what he told them it was. I think he had his check about a week later.

There are other ‘agreed’ value insurers out there - J.C. Taylor, Condon & Skelly, American Collector, etc. They all have roughly the same price structure but Hagerty seems to be the best known.