Who knows home theatre systems?

I have a pioneer home theatre system…

Its older but was a very good system when purchased…

I never got around to using it to its potential, basically just hooked up a headphone cable into one of the inputs and plugged it into my computer or ipod headphone jack.

Its got a 6dvd/cd changer. 5 speakers, a sub…fm/am tuning etc…

Its old enough to not have HDMI input/outputs however and lately ive been getting the itch to hook it up to my panasonic viera tv.

Short of hooking up a cable box and xbox to my tv im newb when it comes to new school home entertainment.

I was looking into buying a new home theatre system, but why waste the $ when the one i have could work.

Only issue with the one i have is my little brother pushed the paper cone in on the sub and when its turned up fairly loud the sub sounds retarded so maybe ill buy a new sub and hook that up.

Other than that can anyone help me out in figuring out a way to hook this one up to my tv/digital cable etc…

Kenny (offroadzj) PM him.

Does it have an optical audio input like this?:

Most TV’s have an optical audio output, it would be the best way to connect it.

k thanks if he doesnt happen to chime in before i get other help ill shoot him a message

yes i think it does…cant be sure until i get home at 3 and look, but i looked at it last night and i remember wondering wtf that was…

Let me know if you want to get rid of the Pioneer. :rofl I’m moving away for school again in the fall and want the loudest, most obnoxious system possible.

I have an older Yamaha that I used to have hooked up. Just run the fiber out of your tv and into the receiver. Than all audio will be surround.

lol like i said it is a bad ass system…it was top of the line like 6 or 7 years ago when i bought it and it works flawlessly. Just that stupid sub rattles when u crank it cuz of the pushed in paper cone.

nice! i have no clue what the fiber is though haha…

As others have said the digital optical cable is the way to go.

The optical connection is just that, light. The cable to connect to the optical ports are fiber optic cables. Also known as TOSLINK

OK cool…so go to radio shack and ask for a digital optical cable? and theyll know what to give me pending length

Yup. I think you can get them just about anywhere Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Yeah even wallmart will probably have it. Don’t spend to much extra on Monster brand or something, it will sound the same as the cheaper brands.

Or wait a few days:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882270035&cm_re=toslink--82-270-035--Product

Not an expert but here is my observation. Depends on your existing system, most stand alone receiver only take sub’s with it’s own power supply.

thanks guys much appreciated!!

My TV will automatically put the sound to the home theatre reciever without changing any settings once this cable is hooked up right? Or will i pull the shound from the cable box?
And finally im sure its hard to say without looking at the system but any clue what input id set the reciever too once i hook the cable up?

yeah my reciever powers the sub…so I’d have to find a similar one. Im failry sure you can buy replacement type speakers

How old roughly is this surround system?

You might have to turn on the optical output in the TV’s menu. Not sure about the receiver though. Probably have to set that input to “TV” or something.

great!! thanks man.

Redevil its about 6-7 years old approx

I have an older Sony Home Theatre without HDMI and using the optical cable I had to set the receiver to Video. You’ll have to mess with the settings I’m sure but it will work and you’ll get great sound out of that little fiber optic cable.

Sweet thanks alot guys!!

So I was wrong guys my tv and cable box both have that quip port but my surround system doesn’t. Fml …

Just the typical white red yellow input and outputs and a couple coax input and outputs and s-video. Pretty sure that’s all the surround head unit has for Hookups. Any other ideas?