Surround sound issues (&HDMI)

Ok, so I want to get a switcher so that I dont have to unplug the HDMI cables from my ps3/cable box all the time. Found a few online.

But I can’t seem to find a solution for the surround sound. I have it running through one of those single wires, I dont even know what its called at the moment, but I have to manually unplug it every time I want to switch from ps3/cable.

Any help/suggestions?

Does your surround sound have different channels like misc1/cd/etc ??? If it doesnt its going to be a pain to get the surround sound towork. If it does, run the audio to the surround reciever and run the switcher for video only.

i have HDMI cable from PS3 to HDTV
then Opitical digital cable from PS3 to Receiver
also have another Opitical digital cable from HDTV to receiver.

all i have to do is switch receiver from (DVD) to (TV) if i want surround sound on tv and (TV) to (DVD) if i want surround from PS3

doesn’t that mean you need atleast 2 optical inputs on the receiver?

wouldnt it be better to run an optical cable from the cable box to the receiver vs tv to receiver, since the cable box is the true source of your sound when watching tv.

Or are you running a cable card?

well you can do it with 2 opticals, or just use a red/white cable
(i used a red/white cable for a little while before i got another optical)

ya it would be better to run the optical straight from the cable box to the receiver but i dont have an optical output from the cable box

thats how i run it when i watch tv, from the cable box, to the receiver. But i have to switch it when I want to play ps3, i need to solve that issue.

if you want true 5.1 channel surround sound you cant use the red and white rca cables, they are analog and do not transmit the 5.1 surround sound.

digital coax and digital optical are the only two that carry the true 5.1 signal

you can also find optical switches

this site is one of hte best online resources for devices like what is being discussed.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&style=

then youre not getting 5.1 surround. You maybe getting Pro Logic though.

The optical/digital coax connection has to come from the source. Not converted i.e. RCA into TV, then TV Optical into receiver.

Does your receiver/cable box have a digital coax in/out? Who is your cable company?

All of comcast’s new boxes have these inputs. If you bought your HDTV then go for an HD receiver, they will have the desired inputs/outputs you’re looking for.

and HDMI :wink:

oh I already know this… getting true 5.1 from my tv to my receiver isnt a big deal, i just want 5.1 and 7.1 from the PS3 for blueray movies and DVD’s

and I dont want to get an HD receiver because i dont want to pay for HD service, I’ll just go get a cheap $40 phillips HD antenna and plug it in to get local shit.
I have Direct TV, im sure i could call in and get a new cable box but im not worried about it.

best site for cables and everything you need! got a few things from them

you have to buy the boxes for Direct TV huh? well then in that case I see your point. If they give you a free box though, what does HD cost? $10/mo?

For that $10 dont you get more HD channels than just the locals etc etc? Seems like its worth it to me, if the box is free.