Who learned how to ride on a 250?

I’m not too into bikes, but I will say that I’d rather die on a Ducati than EVER be seen on a Can Am or a Harley

I started off riding on an 83 Suzuki GS550E which had probably less power output than a newer 250… lol.

First thing I rode was a gs650 suzuki. Makes dick for power. I dropped it when I was 15 in my dads lawn. If it was a 250 I wouldn’t have. That fucker is heavy.

The second thing I rode was a ninja 250. It was an awesome bike. It handled well, it was fairly comfortable even at 6’3 200 lbs, and it was light.

My first bike was a suzuki marauder 800. A cruiser. Slow as dick. I lowsided it. If I was on a supersport it definitely would have been a highside instead. I’m glad I was NOT on a SS in that situation. It definitely saved me a hospital trip.

My next bike was a gsxr 600 which I never rode on the street.

My current bike is a suzuki TL1000s. If I had started on this bike, I would have hurt myself badly. It’s a lot easier to get in trouble on a bike like this than on a sv650, ex250, ex500, 650r, etc. If you disagree then I’m sorry you’re flat out wrong. It might not have happened to you, or your buddies, whoever, but somewhere out there someone will end up in a situation where the minor differences in the forgiveness a bike offers will mean the difference between going down and staying up. Because of that TINY chance I will always recommend someone start out on anything other than a fuel injected supersport. What the end up doing is their decision in the end but I FIRMLY believe that starting off on a more forgiving bike is like installing a rollbar. You hope to fuck you never have to take advantage of the increased safety, but if you ever do, you MIGHT be glad you did.

Starting off on a different bike will not save your life. It will not always make you a better rider. It will definitely not make you as cool to your friends. It will not be cheaper. There is just a tiny vlad’s dick sized chance that it could be the difference between staying up or going down. Like I said, that tiny chance will always be enough for me to recommend people start off on something else.

I’d rep you but I need to spread the love first. :lol

and for the record, dickalero still would have busted his stupid ass on one.

This is my first from back in 2007, opinion is still the same.

Now for the sane crowd. I’m not going to tell you what bike you should start on, and what bike you should avoid. I’m not even going to tell you that 600’s are off limits as a first bike. You can start on them, but they are not good starter bikes. Can you get away with it? Yes. Will you? Maybe. See after years of seeing this argument and listening to both sides, I came to one conclusion. It’s all about the odds. Now let me elaborate on that. A brand new rider can start out on an R1 (horrible starter bike) and get away with it. Does that mean you can to? Probably not because there is probably 9 other guys that crashed or injured themselves on the same bike doing the same thing. So your odds are not good for that bike. Then there is always the guy that starts out on what many consider the ultimate beginner bike – the infamous Ninja 250, and crashes. Does that mean that it’s just as dangerous as an R1? No because for every guy that injured himself on a 250 there is a dozen guys flicking them around on the streets, and having no problems. So your odds are good. It is as simple as that. You can start out on any bike. Whether your odds are going to be good or not, that’s up to you.

Who has a Ninja 250 I can ride? I’ve never been on one. How does it compare (in power anyway) to a 250 four stroke motocross bike?

i learned on a 600RR, i’ve rode R6’s, R1’s GSXR600’s,750 and 1000s, CBR1000RR. HD Soft tail Deuce with a 96cu/in, soft tail custom, FLHX street glide with a 103 screaming eagle. im still alive.

I don’t care what anyone rides or chooses to buy. Long as you don’t give out miss information about 250s. Saying its a girls bike is just macho BS.

Comparing the 250 to my R6 two totally different beast. I can say the 250 being lighter is ficklable. The confidence I had on the 250 took me over a year to come close to getting on the R6. The forgiveness of the ninja 250 is also other worldly vs the R6.
You make a mistake on a Sport bike it will BITE you hard! These are pretty much Race bikes with lights on them. Experience, respect for the machine, knowing your limit & skill level is huge.

New riders will make mistakes that would be better made on something you can get away with it possibly. unnecessary throttle input on a bike that is a screamer and made for speed can get you in a lot of trouble fast. Bigger bikes do not like slow turns, if you death grip the breaks ti will stop HARD and tip over. new riders in a panic have issues letting go of the break. Picking up a 250 vs a 400+ pound 600

Also peer pressure to keep up with other riders in the twist can lead to trouble.
Because most riders think they can handle their machine. It takes a VERY responsible person to ride at their limit & to understand they do not know how to REALLY ride a motorcycle.

All and all you can start off on a 600cc if you ARE not a jackass. If you have a ton of tickets in your history, DUI, If you think your a total bad ass, wear tap out shirts, if your the type of person with something to prove. Than you need to be on a 250.
If you are actually a VERY well rounded individual you can start off on a bigger bike.

But I would suggest if you do, at least look into books & make a few extra classes to improve your riding skills. Once again get what makes you happy, your going to do it anyway you don’t need us nurse maiding any bloody body.

My actual first bike I owned was a '03 954RR with a power commander and some other shit. Rode dirt bikes basically all my life before that, learned on the street on a GSXR600, rode a couple GSXR1000s, CBR600RR, R6, Husky SMR600 supermoto and I’m still here, never laid a bike down and anyone who knows me knows I’m a smaller guy so a lot of these bikes were a lot of power:weight :rofl

I learned to ride on a '82 GS1100E, then a 97 Magna 750, then my 954.

GS1100E was a fun bike, fastest one out back in '82.

not a 250 for me, but a 650 bmw enduro. low power, it was a good bike to start on
all my other friends started on suzuki 400 supermotos

I learned on a ZX6R 636, which I still have. I had no issues picking it up, but I was smart about it and didn’t ride like an asshole for the first couple of seasons. I never even went on the highway until I’d had a season and a half under my belt.

To every person that has said “I started on xxxx and still alive”, what’s your point. Nobody said that you’re guaranteed to die on those bikes, it’s not a good idea. Its a useless statement which doesn’t address any ones point or argument.

Plus those that did die, you won’t see a post from them.

Just like you don’t instantly die if you drive drunk, it’s just not a good idea.

Just curious, how do you rate my starting bike the 82 GS1100E? I thought it was pretty good, still fast but more forgiving than a modern day SS.

personally i think alot more goes into why a bike is harder to ride for a new person than power.

steering rake, wheelbase, weight, power curve, clutch characteristics, etc…

Exactly that ^

Started out on my 09’ turbo/nitrous Busa.

I think the point of the people saying “I started and rode this and I’m still here” is saying that if you have a little previous experience and a decent brain/head on your shoulders you’ll be fine on a modern SS bike.

Some people are just naturally comfortable and can use their self control and start out and ride SS bikes or similar off the bat. Others? Yeah maybe someone who’s never ridden a motorcycle or operated something of the sort should probably get the basics down on a dirt bike or something

Vlads tone has changed since the other post. You thought you won vlad, but you didn’t. How about you go run away and tuck you tail in between your legs… Just like you told me to.

You should watch how you talk to people. I don’t know if your more ignorant than clueless. Possibly retarded.