Why a shitty design screws me.

So yeah, the 944 engine is basically (for all intents and purposes) a 928 V8 cut in half, most of the engine parts have 928 part numbers (except the few things unique to the 944 Turbo). In doing this they really screwed up the routing of coolant through the head/block and slightly changed the gaskets. Unfortunetly what this causes is for the coolant to leak through the headgasket into two allen bolts which go through the head into the block at the front of the engine. Unless you permatex the living hell out of them… Well seeing as how I had never had the head of this perticular engine before, it was a crap shoot as to if this was going to be the dreaded problem with these bolts freezing up because of being filled with coolant and snapping off.

http://members.rennlist.com/mpd47/July23/DSCF4270.jpg
http://members.rennlist.com/mpd47/July23/DSCF4272.jpg

Needless to say, it had not been permatex’d and snapped off. So I spent a day heating and spraying it and let it sit and kept spraying it. Then I double nutted it on the inch or so still out of the block and tried to take what was left out, which is when it sheered off again, leaving me with half a thread and a snapped off bolt basically flush with the block. Now I need to take it somewhere and have someone get the damn thing out for me and possibily helicoil it. Sadly, if the block has to come out, the car will NOT be going back on the road this year.

try a screw extractor. they have them at hardware stores. its a long shot, but they’re only a coupple bucks and might be worth a try

:tdown: hope you can get it out man. that sucks.

You are not in Buffalo are you?

I have basically every bolt and screw extractor you can think of.

How much torque could you get on the bolt before it snapped? A lot or not so much?

A bolt extractor with heat is usually the trick.

easy out ftw

Nope, south of Rochester. Alot would be an understatement. I was putting every bit of strength I had into it.

wow… that freaking sucks

Well, if you couldn’t get it using all your muscles, then it probably won’t comeout with an easy out extractor.

I’d say your next step is to drill a hole into the bolt and try an internal spline drive extractor with heat. After that you may have to just drill the hole bolt out and re thread it.

drill it out and run a tap down it to clean up the threads. Just dont use a drill bit bigger that the bolt that is in there now. Or you will lose the threads you have now and need a hellicoil.

get a nut that fits the threads
slap a copper (brake fitting) washer down over the “stud”
slap the nut on
MIG weld the nut on rock solid
throw a load of heat at the aluminium
drop a ice cube on the nut (shink the bolt)
crank your newly formed bolt out of place

seen it done to a row of broken head bolts … the idiot student turned them all the WRONG WAY, and bottomed the studs out in the block

he sheered 3 off himself, cranked 3 more in uber tight w/o breaking them, then went for help. the 3 uber tight ones snapped while the instructor tried to remove them, all the bolts he DIDNT touch came out like butter

one of the first 3 snapped off @ the head, and 3 vice grips and 6 hands was what it took to get it out :bloated:

In progress:

http://members.rennlist.com/mpd47/DSCF4313.jpg

Last part on order comes in Wednesday, hell I’m even getting rid of the yellow coolant tank. Should be back on the road this week :tup:

Oh and some PCA Club Racers goaded me into running without the bolt, so we’ll see if it leaks (they claim it wont).

good luck!

with a lil RTV i cant imagine that leaking… i mean its just coolant

word.

mike- the engine bay looks SO SO SO much nicer now. great job man! :tup:

i see you have a bat in case if things don’t work out

at least you have something handy to flip out with on hapless passerby