Why do Grand Am owners think their car is fast?

I just got the following email from a friend and had to look this thread up. The only thing I changed in the quote below was his daughter’s name.

Oh, as a side note, I was a witness to a accident today. Top notch too. Dude had serious road rage and was pissed at me because I wasn’t speeding. When he finally got around me he was all the way over to the left shoulder, flew past me, then made a seriously hard right to get back in front of me. The rear end of his car got loose and skidded onto the right hand shoulder, he overcompensated with a hard turn to the left, and the car went swerving across the lane, jumped the ditch, and broadsided a telephone phone, breaking it in half and having the power lines land on his car. (He was easily doing 40-50 when he hit it.) Nice spark show. YYYY was in the truck with me, and she was horrified. I really thought the dude was dead. I pulled over and called 911. There were about 4 cars that stopped, but nobody got near the car because of the sparks from the power lines. I drove away and called the police after I got to work. I told them I wasn’t sure if I needed to follow a report or anything, but gave them my name and number and she told me they would call if they had any questions. I asked her if he was OK, and she told me that once the power company came and turned off the power, he crawled out of the car. She said he was very lucky. I think YYYY is going to have nightmares about that one.

I asked for some more details…

It happened in Gasport, about 3 miles from my house. Guy was probably in his early 20’s, but not sure. I only really saw him when he passed me. It looked like a 3-4 year old grand am, but I was in awe of how pissed off he was because I was going the speed limit. It started “in town” where the limit is 30 and when it went from 30, to 45 I sped up to just below 50. He actually passed me when it went from 45 to 55. I didn’t really notice. I’ve been watching the news outlets, but nothing yet. I might stop and take picture of the scene tonight or tomorrow. There has to be nice skid marks when he lost control.