some asshole parked in front of my house

look at what he drove

not the best pic but you get what it is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/justa4door/DVC00451.jpg

why not?

:word:

Meh.

uhh i would!

big whoop i was at a party and the owner of a house has a 06’ 430.
He told me next time I stop by I can take it out for a few hours.

crap

but i live in the ghetto…( lackawanna near the steel plant)… :gotme: not everyday does someone show up to a shitty restaurant in a car like that

you shoulda showed him why people dont bring those to the ghetto…

:stuck_out_tongue:

there was a testarossa or something (i was wasted and didnt stop to look) on mariner by allen last night

id rock that for sure

im an idiot , i dont get what it is lol.

wrd I saw that, it was a 308 gtb. I want one.

that is a 355 correct?

so did you ask what the retail was? im dieing to know

i can guaretee you its more than you can afford, pal.

ZOMG FATF.

I would drive it, even if it was a kit car.

I think i’ve looked at this thread like 3 or 4 times… and I’m still tryin to interpret this joke we call a thread title…

Its a ferrari… .or possibly a kit ferrari… why would someone drive it… CAUSE IT GETS BITCHES… its just like why marcus drives a viper… he’s gotta land some chick sometime no matter how much they hate that he never wears a shirt… its a viper… some chick will bite the bait…

god i’m drunk and i would still drive that car regardless where its parked and regardless how shitty the thread title is…

why am i on nyspeed at 4am… it makes no sense, i should be asleep and not spending 15 bucks on a taxi cab home when i left my car on main street to get spit on like it was near skybar… some day… i’ll learn…

and here is an entire wiki article on war and peace

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see War and Peace (disambiguation).
War and Peace
150pxCover to the English first edition
Author Leo Tolstoy
Original title Война и мир (Voyna i mir)
Country Russian Empire
Language Russian
Genre(s) Historical, Romance, War novel
Publisher Russki Vestnik (series)
Publication date 1865 to 1869 (series)
Media type Print (Hardback & Paperback) & Audio book
ISBN NA

War and Peace (Russian: Война и миръ, Voyna i mir) is a novel by Leo Tolstoy, first published from 1865 to 1869 in Russki Vestnik, which tells the story of Russian society during the Napoleonic Era. It is usually described as one of Tolstoy’s two major masterpieces (the other being Anna Karenina) as well as one of the world’s greatest ever novels.

War and Peace offered a new kind of fiction, with a great many characters caught up in a plot that covered nothing less than the grand subjects indicated by the title, combined with the equally large topics of youth, marriage, age, and death. While today it is considered a novel, it broke so many novelistic conventions of its day that many critics of Tolstoy’s time did not consider it as such. Tolstoy himself considered Anna Karenina (1878) to be his first attempt at a novel in the European sense.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Title
* 2 Origin
* 3 Language
* 4 Context
* 5 Plot summary
* 6 Characters in "War and Peace"
* 7 Film, TV, theatrical and other adaptations
* 8 Trivia
* 9 English translations
* 10 See also
* 11 References
* 12 External links
      o 12.1 Online text
      o 12.2 Study guides
      o 12.3 Other information
      o 12.4 Listening

[edit] Title

The Russian words for “peace” (pre-1918: “миръ”) and “world” (pre-1918: “міръ”, including “world” in the sense of “secular society”; see mir (social)) are homonyms and since the 1918 reforms have been spelled identically, which led to an urban legend in the Soviet Union saying that the original manuscript was called “Война и міръ” (so the novel’s title would be correctly translated as “War and the World” or “War and Society”).[1] However, Tolstoy himself translated the title into French as “La guerre et la paix” (“War and Peace”). The confusion has been promoted by the popular Soviet TV quiz show Что? Где? Когда? (Chto? Gde? Kogda? - What? Where? When?), which in 1982 presented as a correct answer the “society” variant, based on a 1913 edition of “War and Peace” with a misprint in a single page. This episode was repeated in 2000, which refuelled the legend.

In contrast, there is also an (unrelated) poem by Vladimir Mayakovsky called “Война и міръ” (i.e. “міръ” as “society”), written in 1916.

[edit] Origin

Tolstoy initially intended to write a novel about the Decembrist revolt.[2] His investigation of the causes of this revolt led him all the way back to Napoleon’s invasion of Russia in 1812, and ultimately the history of that war. All that remains of that intention is a foreshadowing in the first epilogue that Pierre Bezukhov and Prince Andrei Bolkonski’s son are going to be members of the Decembrists.

[edit] Language

Although Tolstoy wrote the bulk of the book, including all the narration, in Russian, significant pockets of dialogue throughout the book (including its opening sentence) are written in French. This merely reflected reality, as the Russian aristocracy in the nineteenth century all knew French, then the lingua franca of the European upper classes, and often spoke French rather than Russian among themselves. Indeed, Tolstoy makes one reference to an adult Russian aristocrat who has to take Russian lessons to try to master the national language. Less realistically, the Frenchmen portrayed in the novel, including Napoleon himself, sometimes speak in French, sometimes in Russian.

[edit] Context
A scene from Sergei Bondarchuk’s production of War and Peace (1968).
A scene from Sergei Bondarchuk’s production of War and Peace (1968).

The novel tells the story of five aristocratic families, particularly the Bezukhovs, the Bolkonskis, and the Rostovs, and the entanglements of their personal lives with the history of 1805–1813, principally Napoleon’s invasion of Russia in 1812. As events proceed, Tolstoy systematically denies his subjects any significant free choice: the onward roll of history determines happiness and tragedy alike.

The standard Russian text is divided into four books (fifteen parts) and two epilogues – one mainly narrative, the other wholly thematic. While roughly the first half of the novel is concerned strictly with the fictional characters, the later parts, as well as one of the work’s two epilogues, increasingly consist of highly controversial nonfictional essays about the nature of war, political power, history, and historiography. Tolstoy interspersed these essays into the story in a way that defies fictional convention. Certain abridged versions removed these essays entirely, while others (published even during Tolstoy’s life) simply moved these essays into an appendix.

[edit] Plot summary

War and Peace depicts a huge cast of characters, both historical and fictional, the majority of whom are introduced in the first book. At a soirée given by Anna Pavlovna Scherer in July 1805, the main players and families of the novel are made known. Pierre Bezukhov is the illegitimate son of a wealthy count who is dying of a stroke, and becomes unexpectedly embroiled in a tussle for his inheritance. The intelligent and sardonic Prince Andrei Bolkonsky, husband of a charming wife Lise, finds little comfort in married life, instead choosing to be aide-de-camp of Prince Mikhail Kutuzov in their coming war against Napoleon. We learn too of the Moscow Count Rostov family, with four adolescent children, of whom the vivacious younger daughter Natalya Rostova (“Natasha”) and impetuous older Nikolai Rostov are the most memorable. At Bleak Hills, Prince Andrei leaves his pregnant wife to his eccentric father and religiously devout sister Maria Bolkonskaya and leaves for war.
The first page of War and Peace in an early edition
The first page of War and Peace in an early edition

At the Schöngrabern engagement, Nikolai Rostov, conscripted as ensign in a squadron of hussars, has his first baptism of fire upfront in battle. Like all young soldiers he is attracted by Tsar Alexandr’s charisma. He gambles recklessly and consorts with the lisping Denisov. Briefly returning home to Moscow, he finds the Rostov family facing financial ruin due to poor management. Nikolai refuses to accede to his mother’s request to find a rich heiress for wife and promises to marry his childhood sweetheart, the orphaned and self-obliterating cousin Sonya.

If there is a central character to War and Peace it is Pierre Bezukhov who, upon receiving an unexpected inheritance, is suddenly burdened with the responsibilities and conflicts of a Russian nobleman. His former carefree behavior vanishes and he enters upon a philosophical quest particular to Tolstoy: how should one live a moral life in an ethically imperfect world? He attempts to free his peasants, but ultimately achieves nothing. He enters into marriage with Prince Kuragin’s beautiful and immoral daughter Elena, against his own better judgement. He joins the Freemasons but is helpless in the face of his wife’s numerous affairs.

Pierre is vividly contrasted with Prince Andrei Bolkonsky, Tolstoy’s intelligent and ambitious alter ego. At the Battle of Austerlitz Andrei is inspired by glory to lead a charge of a struggling army, but is nearly fatally wounded. Rescued by Napoleon, all the visions of his of life are shattered in the face of death and Napoleon’s apparent vanity, his earlier hero. His wife Lise dies during childbirth. Burdened with nihilistic disillusionment Prince Andrei is led to a philosophical argument with Pierre – where is God in this amoral world? Pierre points to panentheism and an afterlife. Young Natasha briefly reinvigorates Andrei, but their plan to marry has to be postponed with a year-long engagement.

Elena and her handsome brother Anatoly conspire together for Anatoly to seduce and dishonor the young and beautiful Natasha Rostova. This plan fails, yet, for Pierre, it is the cause of an important meeting with Natasha, when he realizes he is in love with her, during the time when the Great Comet of 1811–2 streaks the sky. Natasha, shamed by her seduction, has had her wedding engagement broken off by Andrei. Meanwhile Nikolai unexpectedly acts as a knight to beleaguered Maria Bolkonskaya, whose father’s death has left her in the mercy of an estate of hostile, rebelling peasants. He reconsiders marriage, and finds Maria’s devotion, honesty, and inheritance extremely attractive.

As Napoleon pushes through Russia, Pierre decides to watch the Battle of Borodino near the battle next to a Russian artillery crew. There, he realizes just how terrible and fatal war can be. When Napoleon’s Grand Army occupies an abandoned and burning Moscow, Pierre takes off on a quixotic mission to assassinate Napoleon and is captured as a prisoner of war. After witnessing French soldiers sacking Moscow and shooting Russian civilians, including his saintly cell-mate Karataev, Pierre is forced to march with the Grand Army during its disastrous retreat from Moscow. He is later freed by a Russian raiding party.

Meanwhile Andrei, wounded during Napoleon’s invasion, is taken in as a casualty by the fleeing Rostovs when he is reunited with Natasha and sister Maria before the end of the war. Having lost all will to live after forgiving Natasha, he dies, much like the death scene at the end of The Death of Ivan Ilych.

Tolstoy vividly depicts the contrast between the attacking Napoleon and the Russian general Kutuzov, both in terms of personality and in the clash of armies. Napoleon believes that he could control the course of a battle through giving orders by couriers, while Kutuzov admits all he could do was to plan the initial disposition, and let subordinates direct the field of action. Napoleon chooses wrongly, opting to march on to Moscow and occupy it for five fatal weeks, when he would have been better off destroying the Russian army in a decisive battle. General Kutuzov believes time to be his best ally, and refrains from engaging the French, who ultimately destroy themselves as they limp back toward the French border. They are all but destroyed by a final Cossack attack as they straggle back toward Paris.

As the novel draws to a close, Pierre’s wife Elena dies sometime during the last throes of Napoleon’s invasion and Pierre is reunited with Natasha while the victorious Russians rebuild Moscow. Pierre finds love at last and marries Natasha, while Nikolai, whose dilemma between his heart’s choices is now firmly set on Princess Maria, is released from his oath by Sonya. He marries Maria Bolkonskaya but provides for Sonya for the rest of her life. Prince Andrei’s son is brought up by Nicolai and Maria.

[edit] Characters in “War and Peace”

* Pierre Bezukhov — A freethinking Freemason, though weak and at times reckless, is capable of decisive action and great displays of willpower when circumstances demand it.
* Natasha Rostova
* Sonya Rostov - The 'sterile flower'. Orphaned cousin of Vera, Nikolai, Natasha, and Petya Rostov. Engaged to Nikolai throughout most of the book.
* Andrei Nikolaeitch Bolkonski — A cynic, brave sodier in Napoleonic Wars who is the foil to Pierre.
* Maria Bolkonskaya — (born in 1789) A woman who struggles between the obligations of her religion and the desires of her heart.
* Nikolai Rostov
* Napoleon I of France
* Kutuzov - Russian General throughout the book.
* Elena Kuragina - Pierre's wife, who earns social power in circles in high society
* Anatole Vassilitch Kuragin - Elena's brother and a wild-living soldier who is secretely married, yet tries to elope with Natasha Rostova
* Petya Ilyitch Rostov (1796-1812) son of Count Ilya Adreyitch Rostov and Natalya Rostova, hero officer of the wars with France, killed in 1812
* The Freemason
* Emperor Alexander Pavlovitch - Tsar and Emperor of Russia. He signed a peace treaty with Napoleon in 1807

Many of Tolstoy’s characters in War and Peace were based on real-life people known to Tolstoy himself. Nikolai Rostov and Maria Bolkonskaya were based on Tolstoy’s own memories of his father and mother, while Natasha was modeled after Tolstoy’s wife and sister-in-law. Pierre and Prince Andrei bear much resemblance to Tolstoy himself, and many commentators have treated them as alter egos of the author.

[edit] Film, TV, theatrical and other adaptations

* The first Russian film adaptation of War and Peace was the 1915 film Voyna i mir, directed by Vladimir Gardin and starring Gardin and the Russian ballerina Vera Karalli.
* Initiated by a proposal of the German director Erwin Piscator in 1938, the Russian composer Sergei Prokofiev composed an opera based on this epic novel during the 1940s. The complete musical work premiered in Leningrad in 1955. It was the first opera to be staged at the Sydney Opera House in 1973.
* First successful stage adaptations of War and Peace were produced by Alfred Neumann and Erwin Piscator (1942, revised 1955, published by Macgibbon & Kee in London 1963, and staged in 16 countries since) and R. Lucas (1943). A second film adaptation was produced by F. Kamei in Japan (1947).
* War and Peace (1956): American director King Vidor made a 208-minute long film starring Audrey Hepburn (Natasha), Henry Fonda (Pierre) and Mel Ferrer (Andrei). The casting of Henry Fonda as the youthful Pierre has been questioned, but many critics consider Audrey Hepburn perfect as Natasha,[citation needed]
* War and Peace (1968): Soviet director Sergei Bondarchuk made a critically acclaimed four-part film version (Vojna i mir) of the novel, released individually in 1965-1967, and as a re-edited whole in 1968, starring Lyudmila Savelyeva (as Natasha Rostova) and Vyacheslav Tikhonov (as Andrei Bolkonsky). Bondarchuk himself played the character of Pierre Bezukhov. By the time Bondarchuk made this film, the flawless image of Natasha as created by Audrey Hepburn had achieved an almost iconic status among Western audiences,[citation needed] and it was therefore a challenge for the director to select an actress for this role. The actress he chose, Lyudmila Savelyeva, looked very similar to Hepburn.[citation needed] The film was almost seven hours long; it involved thousands of actors and extras and it took seven years to finish the shooting, as a result of which the actors age dramatically from scene to scene. It won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film for its authenticity and massive scale. [2]
* In December 1970, Pacifica Radio station WBAI broadcast a reading of the entire novel (the 1968 Dunnigan translation) read by over 140 celebrities and ordinary people. [3]
* War and Peace (1972): The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) made a television miniseries based on the novel , broadcast between in 1972-73. Anthony Hopkins played the lead role of Pierre. Other lead characters were played by Rupert Davies, Faith Brook, Morag Hood, Alan Dobie, Angela Down and Sylvester Morand. This version faithfully included many of Tolstoy's minor characters, including Platon Karataev (Alan Bates).
* Love and Death (1975): Woody Allen wrote and directed a satirical take on War and Peace and other Russian Epic Novels.
* A stage adaptation by Helen Edmundson was published in 1996 by Nick Hern Books, London. The play was first produced in 1996 at the Royal National Theatre.

[edit] Trivia

* The title War and Peace or La Guerre et la Paix was also the title of an earlier political work by French anarchist Pierre Proudhon, published in 1864. As Tolstoy had met Proudhon personally, and was held to be an admirer of his work and politics, it is likely that the title War and Peace was inspired by Proudhon's La Guerre et la Paix.[3]
* In the television show Seinfeld, Jerry mentions to Elaine that the original title of the work was "War, what is it good for", but was changed when Tolstoy's mistress expressed disapproval. Elaine then brings up this bit of false trivia to a writer who is considered, in the show, to be the next Tolstoy.

[edit] English translations

* Clara Bell (from a French version) 1885-86
* W. H. Dole 1889
* Leo Wiener 1904
* Constance Garnett (1904)
* Louise and Aylmer Maude (1922-3)
* Princess Alexandra Kropotkin (1949)
* Rosemary Edmonds (1957, revised 1978)
* Ann Dunnigan (1968)
* Anthony Briggs (2005)
* Andrew Bromfield (2007)
* Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (expected Autumn 2007)

[edit] See also

* List of historical novels
* Pierre Proudhon

[edit] References

1. ^ “Which ‘mir’ is in ‘Voina i Mir’?”, Nauka i Zhizn 2002, no. 6 (Russian)
  2. ^ Simon Farrow, “Leo Tolstoy: Sinner, Novelist, Prophet”, Proceedings of the Bath Royal Literature & Scientific Institute vol. 9, 18 January 2005
  3. ^ [1]

[edit] External links
Wikisource has original text related to this article:
War and Peace

[edit] Online text

* A searchable online version of Aylmer Maude's English translation of War and Peace
* English translation at gutenberg
* Full text of War and Peace in modern Russian orthography

[edit] Study guides

* SparkNotes Study Guide for "War and Peace"

[edit] Other information

* Discussion about "peace" and "world" meaning, in Russian
* "Birth, death, balls and battles" [dead link – history]
By Orlando Figes. This is an edited version of an essay found in the Penguin Classics new translation of War and Peace (2005).
* Russian Army during the Napoleonic Wars
* The War and Peace Broadcast: 35th Anniversary, from Pacifica Radio Archives site

[edit] Listening

* Radio documentary about 1970 marathon reading of War and Peace on WBAI, from Democracy Now! program, December 6, 2005

Leo Tolstoy
v • d • e
Biography | Bibliography | Tolstoyan | Tolstoy | Texts
Novels and novellas: Childhood | Boyhood | Youth | Family Happiness | The Cossacks | War and Peace | Anna Karenina | The Death of Ivan Ilyich | Resurrection | The Forged Coupon | Hadji Murat
Philosophical works: A Confession | What I Believe | The Kingdom of God Is Within You | The Gospel in Brief | What Is Art? | A Calendar of Wisdom
Plays: The Power of Darkness | The Fruits of Culture | The Living Corpse
Short stories: The Raid | Sebastopol Sketches | Ivan the Fool | Polikushka | A Prisoner in the Caucasus | Father Sergius | Kholstomer: The Story of a Horse | What Men Live By | The Three Questions | Wisdom of Children | Where Love is, God is | Quench the Spark | How Much Land Does a Man Need? | Promoting a Devil | Repentance | The Grain | The Kreutzer Sonata | Master and Man | Too Dear! | Work, Death, and Sickness | Alyosha the Pot | God Sees the Truth, But Waits | Croesus and Fate | Three

for those who care the max character limit is 20k

it was boosted i think it said 350 or 355 on the back…:gotme: well i hurd a bov that is what got me to look outside… most of the time i dont car what is in my little area here but bov gets me all the time

so at the end of the night when the guy left i asked him to race.he was not having it … he was about 400 lbs and like 60 years old …there was no real joke on this post i just don’t see why someone would drive a car like that into the ghetto…