Wi Fi Blocking House Paint

came across this, wonder how well it really works

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/10031/wi-fi-blocking-paint

Probably works pretty good actually. Probably based off similar stuff that we use in military applications for EMI shielding. Basically it’s just paint with metal-flake in it; either berillium copper, aluminum, or something else similar that basically creates an EMI shield.

I hope people realize that they should only paint exterior walls. Should you paint and entire room, your wireless access would be useless there.

FUCK. This just started making sense because for some reason I kept reading “Paint” as “Plant”

I bet those paint chips are good for you!

[quote=“JaysGreenLX,post:3,topic:27063"”]

I hope people realize that they should only paint exterior walls. Should you paint and entire room, your wireless access would be useless there.

[/quote]

that would be awesome lol.

I assume it works since I first heard about it in a story about a woman who was allergic to EM waves.

Wonder how bad your cell phone reception becomes… hmmm… I can see movie theatres and other places that want you to stay off your phone painting their INTERIOR walls with this stuff.

I hope people don’t do this. How am I supposed to steal their internets then when I’m at other peoples houses?

[quote=“dawn,post:9,topic:27063"”]

I hope people don’t do this. How am I supposed to steal their internets then when I’m at other peoples houses?

[/quote]

:bloated:

what do you do with the windows? or roof?

its so silly.

Wifi only goes what 100 feet.

Ok thats fine.

If you setup a wpa network and change the preshared key once in a while I wouldnt worry about it.

I dont think they’re metal chips more than metal strands that pick up the 2.4Ghz signal. Kinda like a chain link fence (which will capture/block 2.4Ghz)

youre not trying to pick up the signal, I would assume you either want to reflect/scatter the signal or absorb enough energy to drop the wavelength. Sorta the same thing if you think about it. Wouldn’t this disrupt cordless phones/cells and make wireless useless without line of site to the source?

it works just like a fariday cage…

Basically you just make a metal box around something and it shields any sort of electrical waves from passing through it; it conducts the energy to ground typically. Thus the paint is just an electrically conductive paint with a low area surface resistance.

Same kinda thing the use on the Stealth Fighter, F-22, and JSF to conduct the radar energy away to reduce the amount bounced back.

so what your saying is u can paint your car with this stuff to reduce speeding tickets??

[quote=“Tunerfreak,post:16,topic:27063"”]

so what your saying is u can paint your car with this stuff to reduce speeding tickets??

[/quote]

Enter myth busters

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:15,topic:27063"”]

it works just like a fariday cage…

Basically you just make a metal box around something and it shields any sort of electrical waves from passing through it; it conducts the energy to ground typically. Thus the paint is just an electrically conductive paint with a low area surface resistance.

Same kinda thing the use on the Stealth Fighter, F-22, and JSF to conduct the radar energy away to reduce the amount bounced back.

[/quote]

RAM.