Wideband vs Narrow Band A/F gauges

I was curious if both wire into the o2 sensor?cause i thought the narrow band went off of voltage and wideband went off of o2 but that was just a hunch so feel free to correct me.

Both signal to the ECU via a voltage scale.

ok so wat will a wideband have the a narrow wont.this dude is selling 1 but he has no clue which 1 it is.

In general terms, the narrow band “gauge” is meant to be connected to a normal 02 sensor that gives out a voltage over a 1 volt range (0-1 v). That range is centered on target.

A wideband work on 0-5 V range output by a true wideband sensor. In most cases, the wideband system comes with it’s own 02 sensor desgined to work with the gauge.

Add some confusion that a wideband can output (simulate) a narrow band signal and that some of the narrow band gauges can be connected to OE<M WB sensors. Effectively, I would buy one without knowing what model / style it is.

Bob Myers

So basically i should quit being cheap and buy a new 1 when i get the cash.lol

that and if he doesnt know what he’s got, it’s most likely a narrow band… which is worth it’s weight in dog doo doo

also, you dont replace a stock narrow band with a wide band and magically get a new fancy tune. Wide bands are used in some cars, but mostly in conjunction with some type of additional tuning software used to create or manipulate stock hardware settings.

it just sounded like you wanted an ‘upgrade’ by going wideband in a stock car to me…

prugar seriously just save up some money and buy the real thing haha. Unless you just want some pretty lights inside car wait for the wideband so you can actually know whats happening .

I guess I have been around long enough to remeber when widebands where big boxes that plugged in and only where used on the dyno :smiley:

For sure the usefullness of the typical narrow band gauge is questionable, but I tuned my boosted junk for a long time with that (and plugs and a carefull ear) as my means to get it close. With the cost of the new widebands so low 9and going lower) it is kind of foolish to mess with one now. Even though, I would still like to see one back in my car. VERY useful for a daily driver to keep the car in closed loop for mileage. Also, my stuff is still controlled by the narrow band for closed loop operation, and the gauge lets you know what it going on with that sensor.

I effectively never changed my tune a lot after installing a wideband, it was pretty close based off of tuning with the narrow band and MPH at the track. I am so used to it being there now, I wouldnt be without it. Also, I even consider a wideband useless if you dont have a way to log it. I sure am not coordinated enough to look at it on a pass I know that, the data log never lies.

Bob Myers

My car isnt heavily modded but it has a 3inch turbo back and air intake.I have a Cobb Acess Port on the way.My intensions for the wideband was to be able to keep an eye on ratio just incase something isnt right.I really dont want to try and learn to street tune on my car.Ill leave it up 2 someone that does it for a living maybe sometime in the future.