02 Sensor Question! HELP!

Okay. I have a AEM UEGO Wideband 02 sensor. I was wondering if I can take my o2 sensor harness on my sr20 and tapp it into the wideband so I dont have to run 2 02 sensors?

The factory wire harness has a narrowband 02 sensor. I essentially want to cut the factory wire harness at the 02 sensor plug and wire it into my wideband 02 sensor from AEM.

• Is this possible?
  • What are the up-sides and downsides?
  • Can anyone tell me what color wires are for what and which ones I would have to pair up?

Thanks alot, I hope this makes sense and someone can help me out!

-Ryan

Read the AEM instruction book.

do you honestly think if it was that simple i would be waisting my time here.

Some useful insight would be better. I already tried searching.

You need to see what the wideband puts out for voltage and wire in a Schmidt trigger. The way the ECU works is it sees o volts as rich, and 1 volt as lean and nothing in between (fail mode is rich for those of you who only ever see full scale rich). The WB sensor puts out a range of voltages. What you will need is a way to convert the range of voltages (I am guessing 0-5V) to a zero to 1 volt and nothing in between. What the Schmidt trigger does is takes a voltage in, if it is below a set voltage, it outputs zero, and if it is above it outputs 1 volt.

Common AFR gauges attached to the o2 sensor take an average of zeros and ones to output the value.

Some of the more sophisticated WB sensors will provide you with an output for the ECU so you do not have to run 2 sensors.

In the long run, it is probably cheaper and faster to remove your turbo elbow, get a bung welded on, and run 2 o2 sensors.

The circuits can be made, and I am sure that there are ones on line. I am not a Electrical Engineer, so I cannot help you out in that front. If you are a really motivated individual, then you can gather the information and materials, and solder it all together.

Darek (ME)

Thanks dteam, that was what I was looking for. I will continue my search on what I should do in the meantime. But if anyone else has any extra info that would be great also.

-Ryan

I dont think the AEM widebans have a o-1 volts output for the factory ECU, some of the better ones do…i think innovative might have that feature.

Make sure you place the sensor 3 feet from the turbo too.

So far I found this information on the whole deal:

• “T” the White wire to the 02 signal wire going to the ECU
    Turn dial on the back of the gauge to get to Program 4. Display will read P04 *

• I am looking at the little “wideband kit” as I would call it, a gauge, sensor, etc. everything I would need to get a tune for my car.

My question is, can it output a 0-1v signal for my cars computer? Or do I have to run this wideband along with my stock O2 sensor?

Thanks

Edit - It looks like it can, put it on the P4 setting in the back and it will output a 0-1v signal for a stock computer. I also read that the gauge will still display Wideband data when set like this.

Now my question is, when it is set on that does the serial data cable give wideband data, or narrowband data? *

I wonder if it is possible to get a color wire diagram for the wires on the AEM gauges?

Follow these instructions to wire in your sensors. (30-1600/1601/1602/1603/1610/1611/1612/1622)

MAP Sensor
There are 3 wires on a MAP sensor. It requires MAP signal, 5V reference, and sensor ground. If you’re using an AEM MAP sensor: MAP signal is green or white, 5V reference is red, and sensor ground is black. The signal wire needs to be dedicated, meaning that should be the only wire making contact with that pin. The sensor ground and 5V reference wire can be tapped. Please follow the pin out below to wire in your MAP sensor. If you did everything correctly, with an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor, your MAP voltage (setup/sensors/map sensor parameters) should be about 1.6V with the key on engine off, with an AEM 5 bar MAP sensor, your MAP voltage should be about 1.3V with the key on engine off. Remember to select the correct sensor in your MAP sensor wizard.

30-1600/1601/1602/1603
MAP signal - Pin 35
Sensor ground - Pin: 21 and 29 (tap to one of these)
5V Reference - Pin 37 (tap to this pin)

30-1610/1611/1612
MAP signal - Pin 66
Sensor ground - Pin 50 (tap to this pin)
5V Reference - Pin 49 (tap to this pin)

30-1622
MAP signal - Pin 35
Sensor ground - Pin 30 (tap to this pin)
5V Reference - Pin 48 (tap to this pin)

Air Intake Temp. Sensor
There are 2 wires on a AIT sensor. Polarity does not matter. It requires AIT signal and sensor ground. Please follow the pin out below to wire in your AIT sensor. Remember to select the correct sensor in you AIT sensor wizard.

30-1600/1601/1602/1603
AIT signal - Pin 26
Sensor ground - Pin: 21 and 29 (tap to one of these)

30-1610
AIT signal - Pin 63

30-1611/1612
AIT signal - Pin 28

30-1622
AIT signal - Pin 36
Sensor ground - Pin 30 (tap to this pin)

Boost Solenoid
There are 2 wires on a boost solenoid. Polarity does not matter. It requires switched 12V and PW2 on EMS. Please follow the pin out below to wire in your boost solenoid.

30-1600/1601/1603
PW2 - Pin 111

30-1602
PW2 - Pin 102

30-1610/1611/1612
PW2 - Pin 34

30-1622
PW2 - Pin 25

Wideband (this is for EMS without built in wideband)
If you’re using 30-4100 (Gauge type wideband controller), 30-2300/2301 (Dual/Single channel wideband controller), or other wideband controller with a 0-5V output, you will need to tap the 0-5V output wire to the O2#1 or O2#2pin on your EMS. White wire on 30-4100, and orange wire on the 30-2300/2301. Please follow the pin out below to wire in your wideband.

30-1600/1601/1602/1603
O2#1 - Pin 19

30-1610/1611/1612
O2#1 - Pin 46

30-1622
O2#1 - Pin 29
O2#2 - Pin 55

Please reference our Instructions page for any EMS pin out or other instructions http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?board=90.0

If you have AEMPro installed on your computer, the instructions and pin out can be found here: C:\Program Files\AEM\AEMPro\Instructions

Well if you read the AEM can’t output a narrowband signal.

It also has to be placed about 3 feet from the turbo or you must use a heat sink to make the sensor function.

Right now I have the Wideband 02 sensor mounted on the turbo elbow, it looks like alot of work to get it to stretch 3 feet from the turbo. =\

what engine management are you using?

as far as i know, there is nothing that will allow you to put your wideband in place of the stock O2 and bring your car back to stock AFRs (which is what i think you were hoping for) much less something that is as simple as a stereo install.

until you find an engine management system that can use your wideband’s signal, or a program that can datalog it for later referance against a fuel map, your wideband is essentially a useless guage.

I would suggest looking into NISTUNE or CALUM ECUs if this is for a pre-99 nissan. i know nistune has a self learn mode that takes the wideband signal and self adjusts the fuel map automatically. Calum might do the same but I’m not 100%

you have quite a bit of reading to do. www.sr20forum.com is a good place to start.

i just installed my aem uego as well. i installed it right on the downpipe at the end by the cat. ziptied the harness all up and ran the wire up through my shift knob.

sorry for the confusion,

I am running a HALTECH E8 Stand alone engine management

so then you are using the the wideband sensor for closed loop operation right?

is the stock O2 even hooked up?

i think i understand now, you wanted to just use the stock O2 location and hook up the wideband using the stock wiring? and then run it to your standalone? narrowband O2 is only 3 wire though. I dont know about the AEM, but the bosch widebands I worked with were 6 wire.

and you really should move the wideband further down stream. the sensor becomes innacurate if overheated and may get damaged. if you dont want to do that, then you could make a heat sync from some copper sheet. cut out an oversized copper washer and place it between the O2 and the bung. this will disipate some heat.

D TEAM IS TO SMART FOR HIS OWN GOOD