Wilson Circuit Time Trial - 6/16 & 6/17

Before you read on, let me be blunt about a few things. This event is NOT for first timers. But if you have a few autox’s under your belt, or your a track day junkie, then we are looking for you!

We will be running our first ever time trial on beaverun’s Wilson Kart Circuit. We will be running the full version of the course which is close to a mile long. Your car will be equipped with a transponder, and you will be given two practice sessions in the morning followed by the competition runs in the evening. If time allows extra runs will be scheduled. There will be other cars on course (3 max I think) but spaced out 15 or so seconds at a time, NO PASSING IS ALLOWED. Cars will be grouped by how close they should be on performance, then later by similar lap times so people won’t be catching other cars while on course. Each time out should be 3 or so laps before pitting back in. Speeds should be just a hair faster than standard autox, with one or two sections requiring 3rd gear.

http://www.maracing.com/wilson_circuit/00_circuit2.gif
More pics of the track here…
http://www.maracing.com/wilson_circuit/

Pre-registration is open for the level two club trial on the wilson circuit. There’s an entry cap of 60 on each day of the event. Pre-registering ensures you won’t be left out in the cold.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEve...psevent_id=7697

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEve...psevent_id=7698

Last I checked this event is about 99.9% approved for SCCA sanction (and insurance). You DO NOT need to be an SCCA member to run this event. I can issue you a free temporary membership which will let you compete.

We’ll be using autox classes, except no karts. Open cars in any class must have at least a rollbar and arm-restraints. Closed cars in Prepared or Modified must have at least a rollbar. Closed cars (including convertible, sunroof, t-top, and targa-top cars with factory hard tops in place) in Stock through Street Modified DO NOT require any extra safety gear beyond normal autox prep. If you have absolutely no clue what class your car is in, PM me with your car and mods and we’ll take care of it.

If the event is cancelled, full refunds will be given. (at this point were are pretty much at the point of no return so this looks to be a go).

PLEASE read the supplemental regulations before you have any other major questions. They are in preliminary form here:
http://www.maracing.com/2007_Wilson_Circuit_Supps.pdf

Schedule of Events:
Note: All times are estimates and may be revised due to event issues!

Friday, June 15, 2007

• 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.
    Registration at the Track
  • 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.
    Tech Inspection at the Track

Saturday, June 16, 2004

• 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 AM.
    Late Registration and Tech in pit area.
  • 8:00 A.M.
    Driver’s Meeting MANDATORY
  • 9:00 A.M. to 1:30 P.M.
    Practice by groups
  • 1:30 P.M. – 6 P.M.
    Competition by groups

Sunday, June 17, 2004

• 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 AM.
    Late Registration and Tech in pit area.
  • 8:00 A.M.
    Driver’s Meeting MANDATORY
  • 9:00 A.M. to 1:30 P.M.
    Practice by groups
  • 1:30 P.M. – 6 P.M.
    Competition by groups

Finally to see the track at speed, here is a video taken from a kart running the course in the exact configuration we will be running.

If you would like to follow the thread about this on RacePA here is that link
http://www.racepa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5002&st=0

Thanks!
Chris-

Hmm I might have the car ready by then…

Just watched the video. Can’t wait!!

I would love to attend in my new SI. However I never ran any timed events, just ran on the big track. I don’t want to be that newbie. I will be game for it next time though.

Jeremy - If you really wanted to you could go. Its not like you haven’t done any sort of performance driving before. There will be a driving instructor for the event if you want the help. And the bottom line, they are looking for people since the pre-reg right now is really low. If we don’t get enough people there might not be a next time. Thats also our problem, this event is brand new (cars almost NEVER touch the kart track for competition reasons) so we have people sitting back and watching to see how things go.

If i can get my big brakes on my car I will definitely do this. I don’t have a ton of experience. 1 track day and some AutoX. But i think it would be a blast!

how much is it for the day?

Whitey - Eh…brakes…who needs them? :wink: Seriously I think your 240 (or the jetta if you preferred) would do just fine as it sits. I don’t think this event is going to tax your breaks like a open track day would due to the lower speeds and the heavy braking zones are spaced out. Just make sure you start the day on low boost this time haha. If you pre-register online its $50 (+3 bucks to paypal). If you do it the day of the event its $60. There is going to be alot more seat time than a autox event so price wise it works out pretty good when you break it down.

Two other things I should have mentioned. I don’t think this was mentioned above, you must wear long pants and long sleeves. Its the only real safety thing thats different from autox is the clothing.

Also the reason we are having it this weekend is because we are holding it in conjunction with a SCCA National club race on beaverun’s North course. In other words bring your cameras. GT1 corvettes and formula Atlantic cars are unholy fast and sound like hell on wheels. If you have never seen them run in person, goto beaver this weekend it will be worth it.

yeah the jetta might actually be the better choice on that track. I need to change the oil in that car. you will probably see me saturday either way!

Cool! Yea alot of the people seem to be going for Saturday I dunno why. Eh maybe I’ll get more runs on Sunday!

I might be game, I will see what the plans are this weekend and see if I can get out.

still might make it out for sunday.

Just a few other questions that were asked over on RPA so I’ll pass them on here. This is a rain or shine event, we’ll be running either way. Only thing we stop for is lighting we’ll pull everyone into the kart building or whatever, but right now the weather outlook is look pretty good. Jer & Dave, if you really go one day, as of right now Sunday is looking to be the more open day. But I sorta noticed alot of people are doing Saturday and seeing how their car/tires are after that. Then they will come again Sunday.

wow this sounds awesome, too bad i don’t have a car ready for this.

If anyone wants to go just to watch or take photos you can. There is plenty of spectator areas. We already have a few people taking photos I’ll post them back here when its over. The shitty part is from what I can find online the regular entrance fee is 10 bucks for the weekend. Reason for the higher rate is probably because the road racing event on the North track is a national level event, not a regional level like it usually is.

Just a quick update. But even though we had a lower turnout than expected (first time event + lots of other events on a fathers day weekend) things went without a hitch and everyone had a blast. Definally more fun than autox. Now that we know what to do the next one is in the planning stages, if we get any dates I’ll be sure to post them here earlier this time. Unfortunately we did not get any photos from this event, but plenty of video!

WRX wagon in-car for a session

E30 M3 in-car for a session (if you look really close you can see my civic way out in front)

Race prepped VW Golf, external photage (gives you a great idea of how the event was)

Finally, LS1 camaro pitting in. This camaro set the fastest time both days. (badass sound, worth the download)