Wilson Circuit TT #2 - 9/2

So we got cleared to do one more time trail this year on the Wilson Circuit karting track at beaverun!

Online registration can be found here.
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEventDetail.Show?psevent_id=7953&psrnd=.64877913797988842188974555536742149529

Again this event is NOT for first timers. But if you have a few autox’s under your belt, or your a track day junkie, then we are looking for you. We will be running the full version of the course which is close to a mile long. Your car will be equipped with a transponder, and you will be given two practice sessions in the morning followed by the competition runs in the evening. If time allows extra runs will be scheduled. There will be other cars on course (3-4 max) but spaced out 15-20 seconds at a time, NO PASSING IS ALLOWED. Cars will be grouped by how close they should be on performance, then later by similar lap times so people won’t be catching other cars while on course. Each time out will include the outlap, and 3 timed laps before pitting back in. Speeds should be just a hair faster than standard autox, with one or two sections requiring 3rd gear. We’ll be using autox classes, except no karts. Open cars in any class must have at least a rollbar and arm-restraints. Closed cars in Prepared or Modified must have at least a rollbar. Closed cars (including convertible, sunroof, t-top, and targa-top cars with factory hard tops in place) in Stock through Street Modified DO NOT require any extra safety gear beyond normal autox prep. If you have absolutely no clue what class your car is in, PM me with your car and mods and we’ll take care of it.

Supplemental rules can be found here.
http://www.maracing.com/club_trial/2007_9_2_Wilson_Circuit_Supps.pdf

Saturday, Sept 8th

• 5:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
    Registration and Tech at the track

Sunday, Sept 9th

• 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 AM.
    Late Registration and Tech in pit area.
  • 8:30 A.M.
    Novice meeting (required for anyone who did not attend the June event)
  • 9:00 A.M.
    Driver’s Meeting MANDATORY
  • 9:30 A.M. to 1:30 P.M.
    Practice by groups
  • 1:30 P.M. – 6 P.M.
    Competition by groups

Videos from last June’s time trial.
WRX wagon in-car for a session

E30 M3 in-car for a session (if you look really close you can see my civic way out in front)

Race prepped VW Golf, external photage (gives you a great idea of how the event was)

Finally, LS1 camaro pitting in. This camaro set the fastest time both days. (badass sound, worth the download)

Even if your not racing, there are plenty of safe spots to watch from and take pictures or video. So feel free to stop by!
http://www.maracing.com/wilson_circuit/00_circuit2.gif

Damn… I’m jealous. That looks like a LOT of fun. Though mile-long AXs are pretty typical for the series I run a lot. :wink: :smiley:

-TJ

ohh man ohh man I hope I can do this, I really want to be there for this.

Cost?

Sorry should have included that in the orginal post. If you pre-register its $75, if you show the day of the event its $85. It was cheaper last time because we piggy backed the event off a SCCA club race (for insurance, ambulance cost, etc). We didn’t get a chance to do that this time hence the higher price. Hopefully as we put more of these on and we start pulling more entrants we’ll drop the cost again. I should mention this event is under SCCA insurance thats another reason for the cost. Basically it means if any physical harm happens to you (not your car), SCCA has you covered. Any other questions just ask.

Also once again if anyone just wants to come up and take pictures we’d love to have you. Usually one of our guys from RacePA does it, but he’s racing also so that makes it kinda hard.

wow this looks really fun and id like to do this but my car isnt prepped to do this kinda stuff this year, will there be other events like this next year?

Thats the plan. Like I said this is our first year doing this so we are really trying to gain intrest so we can maybe do a series next year. You don’t need any prep at all, if I had to pick on thing I would at least make sure your brakes can take a little bit of heat. Then after that some quasi decent tires. Aside from that you don’t need any major saftey gear to run. This is ALOT more fun than a autox, but not as risky as a full out lapping day. Also registration should be back up now (it was down yesterday).

Just to give you a idea some of the stuff on the entry list right now is a Elise, two Z28’s, a S2000 powered lotus 7, a EVO & STI, porsche 968 & 911, a rotary powered sprite, and a handful of Honda/Acura products. There are alot more that are coming, but who haven’t signed up yet. Hopefully we can pull some more and have a really good event!

About how many runs on the track do you think we will have?

At the least we are doing 12 timed laps. You’ll do 4 heats with 3 runs apiece. The two morning heats are pratice heats, the two afternoon heats are competition runs and will be the times we count. If time allows we’ll probably toss another 3 runs on at the end of the day bringing the total to 15. It just depends on how fast the day goes.

3 doesn’t sound like alot, but you get worked pretty hard since its a small course. Unlike a lapping day the straights don’t give you alot of time to breath, so 3 is a good number. You’ll have your transponder on for all the laps, and we do printouts right after your heat comes in so you can check your times. There is a timer display right after the start finish line, but its hard to read as your getting ready to brake for turn 1 lol.

Aside from doing the outlap before you cross the start/finish line to start your 3 timed runs. We are also going to do a full cool down lap before you pit it. We didn’t do the cool down lap last time, but we had alot of people roaming the pits trying to cool their cars off.

I am interested but I do not know what class my vehicle would be in. I looked through your rules and just found the 3 groups at the end, but I haven’t found what my vehicle class it would be in. I do not have a roll bar and figured I would probably be in a prepared or modified class. Just guessing.

I didn’t bother to look, but if they are using SCCA SoloII classing you’d be SM (Street Mod).

-TJ

Jeremy - TJ hit it right on the head. Going by the mods in your sig of course. Only safety equipment you need is a helmet (Snell M95 or newer), long sleeve shirt, and long pants. If you have T-tops you have to leave those in also.

Anyone else coming up to maybe watch? The pre-entry list is almost to 30 right now. We just picked up a bunch of EVO’s, a local 350Z thats setup really well, and a corvair with a V8 swap!

I will be bringing my Friend Howard who is planning on taking some photos. I will be there trying to film some no matter what. I hope to register though.

I think the online registration should be open till Friday? Though you can register at the event, but it will be 10 more dollars. Just give in, we already have a 90 Pontiac Formula signed up you’ll fit right in :wink:

I just signed up…I one of the “Evos”. I’m looking forward to the event
but damn am I going to have to get up early…ugh! Like Jeremy said above
our friend howard would like to take pics of the event, he has a Nikon D80
SLR. Can he get access to different areas?

Your friend will be able to get around the entire track pretty much. If you look at the picture I posted, draw a line between turn 1 and turn 9. Thats a hillside thats open to spectators and much higher than the track itself. They also just put bleachers off turn 13 which gives a nice vantage point as cars try to hold their speed onto the front straight. There are a few other spots I’m forgetting, but there are no lack of spots to shoot from.

Do you have any previous lapping or autox experience Mike? Just curious, this way I can put you in a group matched to your driving level. After pratice rounds we’ll probably move everyone around so their times match up closer.

Well I have done a few open lap days at beaver run on the big loop. I’m currently in group 2. I haven’t had the pleasure of lapping on a small tight circuit like wilson. I also haven’t had a chance to run my car with a new
suspension and tire wheel combo so I’m not sure where I’ll run. I am looking forward to finding out.

I’ll be there, ready to burn the tires off!

Holy shit Paul I didn’t know you were on this site haha. See you there bud!

Mike - While the Wilson Circuit isn’t faster than the north course, you are going to be alot busier inside the car since the turns will be coming at your faster. Plus it should be a pretty good environment to learn your new parts since the risk is lower. See you guys out there Sunday!

Edit: Just checked the list we are up to 38 drivers, all things considered thats awesome compared to the first time around. And I know of a few who didn’t register online who are probably going to show.

i should be joining you to watch and maybe video if jeremy tucks in his skirt and races, but i have to leave by noon so i wont be around to see the last heats.:mad: