Win XP or Win 7 ?

Looking at getting a netbook…AMD proc so it’ll hold 32bit or 64bit, but it’s only 2GB RAM…so whatever.
Anyway it comes loaded with Win Vista…which is complete nonsense.

Should I reformat it for XP Pro, or live with Vista for 2 months and get the upgrade to Win 7?
Also guessing at 2GB that 32bit is the way to go?

I have the licenses for XP and the upgrade to 7 is offered free, so price is not the issue.

I’ve been running Vista as my main development computer at work 5 days a week for the past year. There is nothing wrong with Vista as long as you don’t try to install it on some old piece of shit.

Vista and 7 FTW. Why use old shit by choice? Also XP support will be discontinued shortly after 7 comes out

Windows 2000 > all

:picard:

Xp support is thru 2014 i believe.
And vista is a piece of crap. especially on a low ram machine, xp will beat it hands down in performance.
since this is a netbook (read: low ram, weaker proc)…not built for vista. that and lack of driver support (still have issues with a multifunction printer on my vista desktop at home)

not to drag the OP’s thread off topic, running an Intel core2duo full sized laptop, 4gb ram, vista home premium, should i take the free upgrade to windows 7 they’re offering? i pretty much assumed any windows “upgrade” was a bad bad idea.

I have yet to hear anything bad about windows 7 compared to windows vista.

From the sounds of it 7 runs a lot smoother and has back compatibility built directly into the operating system. I would personally upgrade if I had a windows machine.

I <3 XP!

vista is great as long as its on a machine that can handle it. You just need to know which things to turn off for vista. For example, vista has this program that automatically scans for a better wireless network for you to connect to every 60 seconds. This can be a pain in the ass because every 60 seconds your internet and or online game will lag for 4 or 5 seconds. Thats was the only thing that pissed me off about it until i found the command to type in the command prompt to turn the damn thing off. Other than that i have no complaints.

Vista is terrible with mem management and is a bloated hog.Every review has win 7 blowing it out of the water and slightly faster than xp. Take the upgrade, especially if you gotin on the freebie.

Can you link me to that line? I have been using a little program called “Vista Anti-Lag” to deal with it but just removing this would be nice

I havent tried it but the Windows 7 Netbook features are supposed to be pretty good. That or check out the new lines of linux distros that support netbooks and have features built into them.

ok just so u know you have to make sure that you turn it on if you want to connect to the internet, because if its off, it wont pick up any networks at all. so what i do is turn it back on before i shut it down so that when i turn my computer on it connects to the internet, then i shut it off. Ok so heres the steps to do it.

1. go to start, all programs and go to accessories. In accessories you will find the command promp, RIGHT click on it and go to “run as administrator” it will not work unless you choose to run as administrator.

2. past this, C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface=“name of your wireless connection” you need to put the name of your connection in between the quotations, and yes leave the quotations in.

The name of my wireles connection is Wireless Network Connectikon 2 so mine looks like this, C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface=“Wireless Network Connection 2”

1. In order to turn the wirless scaning back on before you shut your computer down you simply change the “no” to a “yes”. So mine looks like this, C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface=“Wireless Network Connection 2”

Once you do this you will notice a drastic improvment in game performance all of your games will run perfectly smoth unless anoher factor is contributing to lag.

P.S. I tried to make a shorcut with it but the shortcut wontlet me open the command prompt as an administrator so It wont work, so basicaly i have them both written in a notepad file on my desktop and i just open it and copy paste when i need to turn it on or off.

fuggit. i just installed win 7 on top of it. realized it was on msdn, no need to wait for october.

This is the netbook i picked up:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668268.php

i love vista and everything but the internet is so slow , i have a great wireless card in my desktop and my old notebook still gets a better signal and 3x faster on speed tests than the desktop!! any suggestions, i literally had to put the wireless modem in my bedroom to get the same signal the laptop gets anywhere in the house

Vista is garbage. I will go from XP to Win7 when the time comes since from everythign I’ve seen with the RCs, the benefits of Vista (wait, what?) + new improvements + better speed and stability compared to XP. I am actually looking forward to it but will still probably wait a few months for my main computer.