windshield washer pump problem

Ok so here is the case I tried to use the washers in my 240 a little while ago (I just bought the car and helped with the engine swap, sorry not a SR just another KA lol). The problem is that I dont hear anything or have any fluid come out on the windshield. Now I dont think that the pumps are dead I hope since the car only has 197,000KM on it, so what and where should I check to see what the problem is? I do know the location of the pumps so dont worry about having to explain that area lol.

Take out the fender liner and have a look.

The pumps should be quite loud, if you can’t hear them (either of them?) they are either dead or there is a problem with the electronics.

Steps:

1. Check fuses
  2. Check to see that pumps are intact and the wiring connected to them isn’t falling off (I’ve seen this happen)
  3. Check with a volt-meter to see if the pumps are getting voltage.

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago and found that the wiring harness that attaches to the washer pump motor was corroded. I checked around for a new harness but no shops/wreckers had anything like it. I ended up getting some good electrical contact cleaner, cut off the harness and soaked the crap out of it. Soldered some new wires onto the connectors and it worked like a charm.

Good luck

Jason

Cool I will have to try it when then sun comes up lol, I have been doing alot of work to this car while not working :frowning: so far I have cleaned and polished the whole engine bay, NGK silicone blue spark plug wires, Bosch platinum 2 spark plugs, a new alt, I took the valve cover off and took all the paint off repainted it and hand sanded the raised areas, re-wraped the shifter in leather (leather craftsman did that) so as you can see this is just part of my ongoing project lol. I think its worth it I have not seen to many 89’s with only 194,000KM on them and I picked it up for 2K.

Sometimes is the really old dirty wires, check for continuity with a Voltmeter.

Sometimes is the really old dirty wires, check for continuity with a Ohm-meter.

:wink:

Well thanks and yes a Volt Meter would be usefull…if I knew the wires did not have to much resistance in them :wink: .

okokok, I should have said Multimeter instead…hahaha…well, cos I have a meter which has the word “voltmeter” on it, and has ohm-meter functions…haha…is this excuse good enough? :lol:

Good enough for me :slight_smile:

Did you find the problem with your washer pumps ?