windshield wiper issues

for one reason or another my wipers have bene messed up on this chassis since i got it.

i turn them on, and regardless of the setting, they speed up to the speed of the second click of the wiper arm, even if i were to have them on their lowest intermittant setting.

whats more, is that they dont stop when i turn them off… they keep going until i shut the car off.

sometimes they will go back to normal but then they will speed up again.

so anyways, i got really pissed off about it today when i parked my car this morning so in a fit of rage i ripped the arms clean off the car and broke the driver’s side motor…

i have 3 other cars from which to take the parts, but besides the stuff i busted, i also want to replace the cause of the problem which at first assumption would be the wiper motor (behind teh ABS on passenger side correct?)

what else could cause this or what else should i replace at the same time?

anyone ever have this before?

both wipers were affected equally.

probably not a motor problem… the problem lies in the control somehow.

Check the harness, follow it right back to the switch, maybe there is a loose or bad ground?

im pretty sure there are amplifiers on s13s and control units. go find the fsm and read about how the system works then replace everything that could possibly affect the signal going into the motor

it will work. it physically has to.

oh i know,

i was just hoping someone had had this problem before and knew what the deal was.

just a culmination of frustration led to the death of the current wiper arms.

everything was seized up in my parts coupe so instead of trying to get it all out i just destroyed the entire section of the car with a hammer… same thing really…lol

i would try replacing the wiper stock. i had a similar problem on a different car and that worked.

If you shut off the wipers and they still continue on, the wiper solenoid must still be energized. You could check the operation of the solenoid and then (if it switches ok) the control unit on the wiper motor - check voltage it sends to the motor

(it’s time-controlled relay should regularly energize/de-energize the motor ~0/~12v - you can check the voltage output to eliminate the possibility of physical problems with motor or the arms, etc. - tracing it back).

there may also be a problem with the switch or wiring for the wiper speed, but the problems above take less time to diagnose and eliminate first.

We had a problem with malfunctioning wipers on nissan quest '93 - the 3 pin control board for the motor was crapping out.