Winter beater problems 89 cutlass stalling HELP

Car: 1989 Olds Cutlass Ceria 3.3L 81,000 miles

Problem: Went to work one day car ran great go to leave the car has a hard time starting then just dies It throws a CEL and the TEMP light. I left it over night, came back to pull it in the shop. Runs fine. Change the fuel filter, same problem. Let it sit for 15 min starts alittle hard then runs great. Warmed it up to temp took it down the parking lot full throttle to complete stop fine. Come back an hour later wont start turns over wont start. I changed the spark plugs and wires. Still wont run and throws a Check Engine Light and temp light. I have spark at the coil packs, spark at the spark plugs, fuel pressure to the fuel rail and fuel to the spark plugs. Its almost as if the timing is off. Shes wants to start and if you feather the gas it will run VERY rough and blow black smoke out. WHAT IS WRONG?

Questions : What could it be and can I retrieve the CEL like the old GMs by using a jumper in the diag plug?

It’s a GM 3.1.

yeah, what can you do? Been there, done that… and those cars just make me :banghead:

Is it dying while you are driving?

No now it just wont start at all it sputters for a sec an then just dies nad its is actully a 3.3 wierd enough as that sounds. pretty close to the 3.1 though

It threw a TPS sensor code and a Knock sensor code. I still can get it to run

i had the 3.1 engine in my olds cutlass supreme (95), sounds like the same shit… i took it back where i bought, and they changed the fuel filter… worked fine… then same problem… took it back, they did some other shit… worked fine, then it did it again shortly after… took it back, then they reprogrammed the chip… worked fine… then same problem… found out it was a lemon, so i got me money back…