Car Issues #2

Figured if start a new thread since ive narrowed it down and the old one isnt getting looked at anymore.

Summary: Car died out, i replaced rotor,cap,wires,plugs and fuel filter. Everything was golden till a week later it did the same thing. Just shut off and wouldnt start back up. So i replaced a mixture of things, such as throttle body,ECU,MAF,Coil and after no luck with all of those i replaced the distributer and it started up but with a CEL.

As of tonight: Car ran like complete ass until today, but still had the CEL. Cossey ran codes and it came up as P0341 Cam Position Sensor A, Bank1 CKT Range/Performance. So i looked it up and it can be anything from the sensor, the dizzy could be in a little off (timing is off, most likely). But the main thing is this is EXACTLY what happened last time. Car died, wouldnt start for 2days, replace some parts and it starts so i think thats the issue, runs like crap for a little bit then mysteriously runs like a champ. Id like to get to the bottom of this and not take chances of driving around. So please comment, thanks!

Does it do at any certain time like on wet days or just random?

well the 2x it shut off on me, 1st day i was raining and 2nd day it had snowed the night before. Now this usually means a coil, but i swapped the coil and it still wouldnt start. Something is screwy…Im afraid to drive the thing incase it dies on me again. Reason for the code now i believe is my dizzy is in a little off, but its wierd cause it did the SAME thing before… Shut off,wouldnt start,started later on and ran like crap, then runs like a champ. 2x its happened now…hmmm

I’d get your timing on point with the car then take the next step.

check the crank poss sensor on the front of the motor

yah im trying to get someone to just help me get this timing on point, just someone who knows what there doing w. timing cause i know jack.

did ya move your dist or suttin

yah i put one in(used) going to buy a new one today along with this engine speed sensor ive been told to buy. Hopefully i can get someone to help me out w. timing when i put in the new dizzy.

There is a crank sensor on the bottom right corner of the block near the tranny case. That will keep your car from starting but usually they just fail outright. Does this 2.0 have the cam sensor on the cylinder head? As well as the distributor?

AJ, I told you what mod to do that’ll cure all issues.

All these parts your throwing at it wouldn’t it be alot easier on yourself and your pocket just to have someone who really knows what their doing take a look at it for you?

Tom: I was told the cam sensor is in the distributer?? How much do you charge for house visits?
Cossey: Yah, im about 5 seconds away from doing it. P.S your car sounds fucking amazing
Rubino: I have had 3-4 people look at it, everyone gets stumped. I figure its running now which is good, but how soon before it dies out again? When i pick up the new dizzy/rpm sensor i am going to try and get someone over here to help me out w. checking timing/installing the distributer correctly etc.

What puzzles me is it did the same thing before! Dies,Wont start,Runs like crap,Runs amazing for a week then repeats this process. Ive been doing a TON of research all day everyday and this RPM/Engine Speed Sensor keeps coming up as the culprit. Im not sure. As for me replaceing the dizzy, might as well im in there and have to take this one out again (its my buddies) so id rather put in new, then the old one. At least i know it will be new.

This sounds crazy but I had a similiar issue with my MK III VR6 back when I first got it. I would drive it, it would run absolutely fine. Park it for the evening and go to jump in it in the morning for work and the car wouldn’t start. I’d get a lift into work, get home later that day, car would start no problem. This problem went on for almost 2 weeks until I gave up and brought it to Autobahn. They found it was an issue with the factory alarm in the car. I had them disable it and I never had that issue again.

I know it sounds crazy but have you taken a look at the factory alarm in your car?

Yes, I know it sounds amazing. It changes the shape of my pants.

J: I can see it not starting, but shutting off while running? hmm…its an idea

This all comes tmrw (minus the futrell kit)
Distributer
Throttle Body Gasket (just cause)
Engine Speed Sensor
Futrell Autowerks AC/PS Delete Kit

Time to do work!..Going home to check the timing yet again, i didnt know about the intermediate shaft so ill check on that and see whats up.

I know, just a thought though. It is a Volkswagen we are talking about. They do strange things

heres pictures from tonight.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/Criscone/98%20Jetta%20GT/0304082036a.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/Criscone/98%20Jetta%20GT/0304082036.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/Criscone/98%20Jetta%20GT/0304082035a.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/Criscone/98%20Jetta%20GT/0304082035.jpg

Cam is perfect, thats the one i lined up. The crank? is to the right as shown. Also the rotor is to the left slighly.

EDIT: Only other one would be the tranny plug correct? I cant get the green plug out, i cracked it trying to pry it out and i dont want green chips in my tranny.

I think you can probably rule your timing issue out. Have you asked anyone on CA-VA? Some of those guys on there now their stuff pretty well.

well see the lower setting, crank pulley? That notch is suppose to be in the middle of that half circle. I wonder if when i put the dizzy in this could have offset that?? This possible? My timing is definetly off.

Bad:

1. Rotor isnt parallel with hall sender plug
  2. Crank pulley notch isnt in the middle of that half circle
    Good
  3. Cam gear is perfect

Im pretty sure thats how it works.

EDIT: yes im on ca-va and the post is identical to this one :slight_smile:

Dude it’s hard to diag over the web. The timing marks aren’t discernable in your pictures either. If the crank is off from the dist. then your timing is way off. Enough to make for an intermittent no start.