Winter tires!? Blizzak ws-50s vs. Dunlop m3s

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?removeIndex=2|865QR4GRDS2&width=185/&ratio=65&diameter=14

Which ones?! I currently have ws-50’s with only one season on them and are in great shape and could most likely easily use them for the next 2 seasons and be happy. However…my job calls for you show up or theres a real fucking problem mindset. So, reguardless of what I do, I’m getting new snows just to be on the safe side.

WS-50s which I used for one season. FUCKING awesome in the snow and ice. however, dry traction IMO really blows badly and cornering stability was less than impressive.

I haven’t owned or drivin on the dunlop winter sport m3s but I’m told they have MUCH better dry traction and cornering stability but you will indeed give up a bit the sweet heavy snow and ice traction you get from the blizzaks. My question is…how much snowy traction are you actually giving up?

This basically means I probably need input from someone who has owned both. Ive tried reading tire rack reviews but the when someone owns something they always seem to think it’s the best and can’t give a HELPFUL review.

Oh yeah, this also means you will see a for sale thread soon. which will be 4 blizzak ws-50s used for only one season, and still have a ton of tread for $100. Or $125 if you bring me rims and want me to mount +balance them for you. Size is 185-60-14.

How lame of you to almost copy me. My thread>Yours just kidding, but I do like seeing someones point of view on the Blizzaks.

M3 is a lot better tire IMO

Stick with the blizzaks. If you are concerned with making it to work in a pinch, then don’t worry about dry traction as much - or get a truck for bad weather days.

I bought 2 Winterforces from Don last year.

I had retarded traction in the snow, decent in the dry, and cornered as hard as my buick would corner.

at $55 a peice there awesome.

lol, didn’t even look at any threads…just made the post!

no need to buy new tires with one season on the blizzaks

OK, but why? and is this in your awd evo? because traction is most likely not an issue for you anyway. I’m rocking a FWD econobox and with the ws-50s I can accelerate just as quickly as 4wd suvs all day long. I’m wondering if I’ll get similar results with the m3s?

side note: this is why I’m buying an AWD car soon.

I agree, regardless of how good the Dunlap’s are I would stick with the free option.

This is why I’m looking for someone who has owned/drivin with both… Because you say decent in the dry…I’ve drivin on those tires and they suck just like the ws-50s in the dry. Can something that anyone owns have a shitty side?

But I thought the ws-50’s were awesome in the dry. Very predictable in their give. You could toss the car around so well and drift it.

IMO…most dedicated snows like the Blizzaks and the M3s will suck in the dry because they are made for snow and ice…unless ur gettin an uber baller tire at 200 bux a piece ur dry performace just wont be there…again my opinion…i bought the cheapest snow tires i could find last year and never had a problem getting anywhere didnt care about the dry days…its winter

lol, I was so thinking you would make a post like this 5 minutes ago. Yes, once again, fun for you and your awd goodness that I don’t have. Like you said “their give” They feel like jelly fucking doughnuts around a corner in the dry.

blizzaks are about as good as it gets… especially for free

I’m starting to think I’ll just buy the m3s and then wait to sell the blizzaks…then I can make my decision. But I won’t let anyone know the pros and cons and people can just keep guessing.

I understand the differences between the two tires…I’m leaning toward the m3 for the dry traction, I mean it’s still a winter tire and I’m sure will still do great in a ton of snow. I guess I’m just trying to find out something that I will only know by owning both. I can rate my ws-50s as a snow and ice at a 9.5. If the m3s will be a 8.5 on my scale, I will be happy with the tire and the added dry performance. This is kinda like an argument or comparison going nowhere. Like when your buddy tells you that a srung pucked clutch disc is unstreetable…The only people who say that either suck at driving or never owned one, but there’s still a million band wagoneers who think its unstreetable.

holy fuck I just skewed topics kinda.

Aaron (theblue) recommended me to get m3’s 2 winters ago with my A4. They were awesome. I would recommend them :tup:

My car was unstoppable with $45 hankook snows. I have used them for two years and there is still no visible wear.

my wifes neon is unstoppable with 45$ pacemark snowtrackers from walmart… its winter, you arent supposed to be needing dry traction cause you are supposed to be careful and look for ice.

now scotts srt on the hankook’s… it was sick. 14psi and we werent spinning much at all given the fact that there was significant snow on the ground.

i still rock all seasons on the tracker with no issues till 2ft of snow :shrug:

Brian

just ordered my Blizzak’s from tirerack tonight. Where can I get them mounted the cheapest? 205-55QR16

I have owned both the WS-50s and the M3s, however they were on two different cars. I had the WS-50s on a Jetta up in buffalo and they were pretty much unstopable in the snow and ice. Never got close to getting stuck in a car that on all seasons would get stuck on the smallest amount of ice. With the WS-50s it didn’t matter if it was ice or foot deep snow that my lowered jetta was plowing through, it would not get stuck. That being said in the dry they verged on scary. A great snow tire but not great in the dry.

I had the M3s on my wrx. Yes the AWD makes a huge difference. The M3’s were great in the snow and ice, but not as good as the WS-50s. In the dry however not only were the M3s better then the WS-50s but they were better (maybe even much better) then the stock RE92 all seasons that came on the WRX. I felt they were a perfect match to the AWD of the WRX.

I liked the M3s so much i just picked up a set of the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds for my STi over any of the Blizzaks.

That is my opinion, take it for what it is worth.