wire help?

ok i was looking at my wires today and can anyone help me with hooking up my autometer tach/ air fuel gauge … 4 the tach do i just splice into the tachometer wire (yellow/red strip) on the wiring harness?
and for the air/fuel gauge which wire in the O2 sensor wires should i splice into?? any help

Hey man,

Do you have a mulitmeter? If so grab a sewing needle stick it into a wire, lets say of the o2 sensor the white one (which will most likely be the signal, and a personal note: jason, if you see a green wires you need to get closer to the o2 sensor because i had to lengthen the wires and all i had was green) then touch one of the multimeter probes to the needle in the white wire, and the other proble to a ground, if its giving a variable voltage, than thats probably the one you tap into.

As for under the dash, yes you dont even need to splice it becaues the stock tach doesnt work, just cut it and attach. (oh and do this after the ECU, not before, so like the wire going from the ECU to the dash)

ok im give it a try … if it all works sweet

ok i tried splicing into the white wire on my O2 sensor but didnt get a reading on my air/fuel gauge so i tried the red and black ones too still nothing … anyone hooked up and air/fuel gauge could you help me
my gauge has 3 wires red/black/purple red i ran to power/ black to a ground and the purple to my O2 sensor … which wire(s) should i hook the gauge up to

hey nik i got the a/f gauge working but still no tach… this is maybe a really dumb newbie question but where is the negative terminal on the coil pack?? I called about the tach and they said to hook it up to the negative coil

:?

hmmm, did you hook it up properly?, to the right wire? :?

The car has individual coilpacks over each sparkplug, not a single one, so that will make finding THE coil pack very hard, and i dont think youd get a proper reading from hooking it to one of the 4 coil packs.

Someone out there has to have hooked up an aftermarket tach to SR20DET. Try changing your title of the first post. Call it like “Quick question about aftermarket tach for SR20”.

If it was me, id bust out the good ol’multimeter and check all the wires leaving the ECU (you used the wire coming from the ECU to the dashboard right? not from the engine to the ECU), find a wire that is giving a variable signal as the engine revs up, and thats your TACH.

… keep me updated, and thats cool about the AFmeter, how accurate is it? or is it all over the place?

not too sure how accurate the a/f guage is because it is reading im running lean almost all the time even under full 8psi of boost so :?

but yeah i hooked the tach up to the yellow/red stripe wire but got nothing
i might take it to the compact car place in london friday get them to look at it and double check my a/f gauge. Only if i can’t figure this crap out myself here soon