Wireless network issue with laptop

I’ve been having an issue with my laptop interacting with my wireless network here at my home.

The network remains connected, but internet-wise, I will need to disconnect and then reconnect to the network every few minutes to maintain internet access.

Now I am only having this problem on my laptop. I have a desktop that will remain connected to the network non-stop and maintain internet access straight thru.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Spyware most likely.

I will check and run, but I believe I have Adaware up to date and running regular scans.

I have the AVG Anti-Spyware running constantly with scans daily, and just ran Ad-Aware with nothing found.

Anyone have an idea? It’s getting to become very annoying to have to “repair the connection” every few minutes to keep using the internet.

Gay power saving setting? Maybe even in the bios?

Hmmm, worth looking into possibly. I know my dad was servicing it for an issue and I just got it back yesterday for the first time in months.

I shall delve into this topic some more.

Perhaps the oddest part is how it remains connected to the network all throughout though. I can access files remotely from the other computers in the house when the laptop is on, with no internet working but a good network connection.

Shit is baffling for sure.

Hrmmm. That’s really bizzare. Something on the WAN end then. Try resetting the modem?

If it was modem ended though, wouldn’t it also be affecting the other devices on the wireless network?

You have a WAN and a LAN side. Often they are in the same modem/router chassis but they are different components. Short answer no.
Is it DSL? Perhaps you have it timing out the connection after x minutes in the modem/router setup?

Comcast Cable.

I’ll give the modem and router reset a go and go from there.

No love from the router and modem reset, I also did a reboot here on the laptop to no avail.

I am going to ask my dad if he tweaked anything. Anyone else have any good ideas?

Sometimes there are settings that only permit a certain amount of users via WiFi at once. Maybe you are over this? It’s in the router.

I am only the second pc on the network at the moment and still having the same problem.

Problem solved.

Did not do anything either, the issue seemed to rectify itself on it’s on.

Definitely jumped the gun.

The issue is still apparent. So far I have…
-Ran AdAware/AVG Spyware filters
-Updated the wireless drivers
-Tried Disabling Wireless Zero-Confiig

Nothing has worked on solving this problem. Again, it is ONLY occurring at my home network. It works fine at school and work.

Vista?

What make/model laptop?

Start>Run>CMD>ipconfig/all

write down ip address of laptop and check against desktop or anything else that may have the same one.

Is this a secured network?

possible DHCP timeout?

Compaq Presario V2000(a few years old now)
Windows XP
Secured Network

IP on laptop side differs slightly, last digit is 3 on the laptop, the desktop using a wired setup’s last digit is 1, and does not seem to share with any other devices within the house.

Go to the wireless route config page and see what channel it’s set to broadcast on. Set your wireless on the laptop to look at that channel instead of “auto” like it’s probably set to now.

I had to do this at my uncles house when my cousin’s laptop refused to stay connected.