Internet Laptop Problem

I just got a compaq laptop from circuit city yesturday. They said everything was installed and that it should start up right away and work. My friend got the same one and his works fine. mine on the other hand the internet is giving me trouble.

Ocassionly the laptop goes online, but half the time it says it can not find a connection… and then when its working and i shut off the computer and turn it back on it says i can not find a connection.

anyone got any ideas about how to solve this… i know theres probably tons of reasons why…

how strong is the connection?

you are talking about wireless? or wired?

and are both computers connecting through the same thing?

wireless an they both are connected thru same router…

i have three wirless networks
linksys
05b4010245

the signal is strong … when ever im online for a few mintues it seems to loose connection and tell me this page has an error, try to connect

make sure your connecting to your network. if it keeps dropping your ip, try hardwiring to the router.

also make sure in your device manager there are no problems listed with your wireless network card

are they YOUR wireless networks? are they all unsecure, and are you autoconnecting… does compaq have their own wireless utility…

it sounds like you are connecting to one… then it gets a stronger signal momentarily from another so it disrupts the connection…

with your router or the one you wanna connect to make it secure, and connect to that one… should help out a litttle bit if you are just stealing your internet… idk what the tell you

im trying to connect to my router but it seems like it looses signal and then keeps switching connections

they are all unsecure… i dont know if compaq has their own wireless utility

how can i make the router secure? the router should be the linksys one right?

if you have a linksys router lol… find out the model and make of the router… its probably like a WRT54G

if its the easy connect just run the easy connect wizard while hardwired and you can make it secure… or log in using the ip 192.168.1.1 (i believe thats what linksys still is)

also have you tried hardwiring yet???

doesn’t sound like thats the problem at all … its just the wireless switching connections… hardwired should work flawlessly

yeah it should.

see if your using windows or compaq to manage your connection as stated above, and then get back here

well i finally got a hold of a guy at circuit city and he tried helping me do some updates and programs… nothing worked…

so i took it in for them to look at and the the laptop right under there router and still didnt get anything… they decided that there ordering a new one for me…

wow yeah sounds like a bad wireless card then if you were right in front of the router and got nothing (given other computers could see the network signal)

probems again… i just got the new lap top and i turned it on and no connection…

this time i tried doing what it says and it comes up saying it is my router… im using a D-Link router

how can i get this darn thing to work

is there anyway to just get internet … ive spent about 20 hours just to get the lap top and 10 hours trying to get internet to this thing…