woke up too two kinds of leaks this morning

i got up this morning and noticed my car was leaking some fluid. not alot. just slowly dripping. i jacked the car up and got under to look. the fluid is mainly dripping from the engine crossmember and it looks like oil. i checked around but couldnt determine the source. what do you guys think?

number two i think is a vacuum leak or something. it is a sound i hear while accelerating that sounds like pressurized air or something. almost like i have a turbo. i can only hear it when i give it a bit of gas but not while cruising. what could it be?

If there is a vacuum leak, your car will hesitate in idle and probablly
stall at some point. From a fast speed, put car in neutral and then brake
real fast. If your RPM drops below 500, then there’s a vacuum leak and
your car may stall. If that’s the case, check some of the hoses after the
TB, as well as the intake.

yeah to find the vacume leak, check for cracks on the tubing, it is easy to look for, just takes time.

as far as the other liquid, there are only 5 fluids it could be:

Rain/water: With this weather it would probably be ice.
Powersteering: It will be orange/pink, and smell horrible.
Coolant: Will be a greeny/yellow, have little smell (possibly fishy)
and tastes sweet (i dont suggest tasting random fluids)
Oil: Will be thick, brownish-black, have mechanic smell.
Fuel: You’ll know if it is fuel.

It is probably oil, … and that sucks, check around the oil filter the intake manifold and exhaust manifold. look for holes and cracks on the sides. I would assume it is the filter come loose … hopefully it is.

i thought the fluid smelled like gear oil. it was on dark black driveway so i couldnt tell color. im pretty sure its engine oil. i cant see anything around my manifold, its a slow leak from the bottom, right by the crossmember. i checked the filter and it seemed fine. im do some more investigating tommorrow.

i didnt do the braking thing but my idle stays put at 750 when in neutral

If it’s gear oil it could quite possibly be your transmission, and from the location you suggested it might be the output yoke seal, or possibly the front main seal… just my 2c

im pretty confident its not from the transmission

If it’s near your crossmember there are a few posibilites.

First check to make sure your drain plug gasket isn’t cracked or sealing improperly. All it is really is just a soft washer that seals around the plug.

Secondly, check around your oil pan mating surface. If this is it, you may be able to get away with torquing down the pan bolts a bit, although that may not do much.

Anouther source may be the front main seal, which may be a pain to get to.

In any case, if you can’t identify the leak right away, try wiping as much oil off as possible. Then run the motor for a couple minutes and check for fresh leaks.

Pete

Clean off the leak with engine degreaser or brake cleaner, let it dry, then run the car for a few minutes. See where the leak is coming from.

Umm… did I not just say the exact same thing at the end of my post?

ok i think i found the source of the leak. its ps fluid from a fitting on the line right infront/above the crossmember. can i just replace this fitting or should i replace the line? ill try and get a picture of it.

It may be your rack and pinion boot, if its leaking you may just want to replace the boot its like $20 from CT. a lot of places my tell you u have to replace the rack&pinion ($~300)

It may be your rack and pinion boot, if its leaking you may just want to replace the boot its like $20 from CT. a lot of places my tell you u have to replace the rack&pinion ($~300)

It won’t be leaking from the rack and pinion boot as this is just a dust boot. It could be leaking from the seal on the steering shaft (that’s where mine is leaking) or where the two pipes go into the rack, or any of the other PS connections… most SP leaks I’ve seen on 240’s are the low pressure hose from teh PS resevioir to the pump. The hose seems to get hard and the crappy wire clamps… don’t!
Remember when trying to find the source of a oil leak the highest point where there are traces of oil is where you should be looking… gravity takes it down, but not usually up :slight_smile:

-Martin.

It won’t be leaking from the rack and pinion boot as this is just a dust boot. It could be leaking from the seal on the steering shaft (that’s where mine is leaking) or where the two pipes go into the rack, or any of the other PS connections… most SP leaks I’ve seen on 240’s are the low pressure hose from teh PS resevioir to the pump. The hose seems to get hard and the crappy wire clamps… don’t!
Remember when trying to find the source of a oil leak the highest point where there are traces of oil is where you should be looking… gravity takes it down, but not usually up :slight_smile:

-Martin.[/quote]

i like to confirm this
i seen this happen on two 240s