new member needs some help

ok i just bought my 240 on wed with an SR in it but last night i notice almost a miss … i give it gas and it goes but when i give it enough to get the turbo spooling it kinda studders … sounds like an exhaust leak in the manifold area … also the T hose connector in the driver side of the head keeps on popping out ( hooks into the intake) any help???

Boost/vac leak for sure.

You kinda answered your own question.

also forgot to mention that if i remove the oil fill cap i get blow by about a foot high

So jason it only stutters underboost? or high revving?

As far as the T is concerned, over a year ago it was doing the popping off thingy so i put some rubber cement on it and put it in, tapped it with a hammer and it has never happened since.

Hey jason, did you plug the TPS back in?

Hey Jason, did this start after you played around with the TPS? Because there are little vacuum lines around the TPS you might have accidentally unplugged / damaged.

ok i checked all the lines for a leak with the old soap and water trick didn’t see anything … i was looking around some more and feeling by the turbo and definetely feel and here some exhaust leak somewhere i think it might be the turbo gasket or manifold/turbo

Any possible help would be great!

the exhaust manifold to turbo gasket is new, and isn’t blown, but where the turbo connects to the turbo outlet, that gasket is not new, but it may not be blown, try tightening the bolts around it, the on i suspect is causing the problem you can reach with a 1/2" socket, looking at the turbo from the drivers side fender its the bolt clsest to the engine block on the turbo to turbo outlet connection. Ill show you a picture if you still dont understand. If they are tight then the gasket is blown :x , but i doubt that, and i bet that once the car warms up that the leak disapears. Either way, this would not cause a stuttering problem.

When did this start to happen? had you been under the hood before hand? Did this start after you played around with the tps? perhapse you accidentally unplugged a small vacuum line. Look for open nipples, and then for a vacuum line going no where. For some reason i think its the line that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the throttle body. But if you can tell me when this happened, and if anything signifcant happened before hand, like even a big bump.

So you know, if you look at throttle body, where the main intake is, above it there are 2 nipples for vacum lines, and below there is one. Here is what they should be doing so you can check to see if its changed. The top left one tee’s off to the boost gauge (oh another thing to check, the boost gauge signal tube, from the gauge on the dash all the way to the throttle body, look for leaks/ holes, perhpase its pulled apart somewhere) and then continues to go to where it tees off again for the BOV (notice the BOV tees and connects to 2 spots, very important!) and then it connects to the wategate. The top right goes to the fuel pressure regulator, and the bottom one is blocked. … pretty sure this is right.

Check the hose clamps on the intercooler and the intercooler itsself. If you have propane you can spray it around the lines until the engine changes idle, then you know where the leak is.

it happened on friday night at the drag strip wanted to see what she could run got 2 passes in and then the 3rd it stutted

:frowning:

No shit, what did she run?

Sounds like you might have popped off a vacuum line somewhere, look for one that isnt connected.

I really want to know what she ran.

i only got 2 runs in cause the 3rd run it started to stutter but first run i had a sh*tty launch ran 15.02sec @ 107mph
second run i dumped the clutch to much so roasted the tires off the line and got 14.7 @ 97mph i was expecting better but first time really beating it

anyways … i checked all the lines again and again … maybe i’m blind but i don’t see anything ( and im pretty sure 98% that my exhaust leak is between the manifold and the turbo)

i give up for the day i think im going to take it to a shop to look at it

:frowning:

Good trap times…definitely room for improvement.

Not bad times, lol, did you do that on my winters too? becaues if you did, then thats really not bad.

Check the hose clamps on the IC piping, maybe replace them or tighten them.

Oh and yes it feels like its the manifold to turbo but its probably the turbo to turbooutlet. Ill send you a picture tonight if your on msn on where to tighten. You can check the bolts on the manifold to turbo with a 13mm wrench, if you have a stubby use that.

ok i’ll check all the clamps on the IC piping and i know what bolts your talking about from turbo to turbo i tightened it about a turn and a half

poopi

:cry:

And tightening it didnt fix the problem?

Check the IC clamps, and check to make sure there is a vacuum line going from the fuel pressure regulator to the throttle body. Make sure the BOV has 2 vacuum lines going into it too.

im still impressed with your 107mph, wow, once you get a better feel of the car you could easily get in the 13’s. I wonder what i could have gotten at the strip? keep me updatde with these things jason, i like hearing about it.

yeah man if i could get a better launch i know a high 13 is possible but yeah ima check all the clamps hoses and everything again dammit :evil:

i’ll post what i found / didn’t find

ok car is good to go … no vacuum leaks or anything something even easier … one of the injector plugs cracked enough to slip it half off causing it to stutter like it was plugged it in and taped it on for now and she runs like a champ again

:lol:

Awesome! 8)

Yeah that plug came like when i got the wiring harness. Taping it should fix it no problem.

lol, damn vacuum leaks eh :wink: