Work Email on-the-go

There is tons of hype around blackberry/iphone/winmo/adroid phones. Devices that are designed for business people to keep connected even when they are not around a computer on the internet.

For the longest time I thought it was awesome. I always wanted one. Now that I work a 9-5, the last thing I want to do when I am not at work, is to be obligated to answer emails at home. Now I realize a lot of companies are mandating the devices, but it also seems that a lot of people go out and get them by choice.

So here is the questiona. Would you carry a PDA with your work email by choice?

poll questions is weird, a mod can edit it.

I’m in the market for something like that… its a pain to keep up with everything…

4 different email accounts

no

although, sometimes a headsup the night before would be nice, before walking into a shitstorm the next morning

I carry a pda because I have to.

I would carry it by choice as well, I work on bonuses that are based on my productivity and sometimes like 3 times in the last 6 months those 10 minute calls really helped me make money

I would never want to obligated to answer my email after-hours or on my days off. Fuck that.

For personal use I might, but I don’t consider any personal emails to be important enough to not wait until I get home. Certainly not worth doubling the cost of my cell plan.

Fuck no. I don’t even give out my cell number at work. I love being off duty when I’m off duty. Some day my career will reach a point where I’m taking phone calls and checking emails nights and weekends, but until I reach that point I’m going to thoroughly enjoy my freedom.

i just have a pda b/c im that guy… but i dont need it for work im a nobody

:wave: I got your cell # :wink:

I run a system monitoring server as part of our setup here. I have all notifications disable from 11pm to 8am.

I don’t wanna know shit until I step through that door.

i have one for work, paid for by them… but then I have my personal cell also…

When i get home from work, i leave the blackberry in the car all night. Fuck it.

they gave me a cell phone, but it is just an LG Chocolate with a basic plan. It is for emergency calls only. Ive been here for 4 months, it has never rang

lol i had a work cell for like 18 months and i never got one call on that shit

Yes, I am waiting for the new phones to hit around Christmas and I will be having one. I get paid on commissions so those calls after 5 are quite usually worth it, and the times that I am out of the office i won’t miss something important in my e-mail.

I have a BB.

I get my work email on it.

I am not on the BES.

I use BB redirector. Only getting your emails during business hours > *

Mobility to leave the office, walk around, bug other people, go to timmys, etc > not having it.

I dont give out my cell # at work either.

edit: I use it for personal uses, too. calender, to do list, notes, internet, email, etc.

that is cool, that there is a config to get emails only during certain hours. Although, I would never read my email while I am on break or eating lunch. F that.

I dont make enuff to get emails at home. I do however get a phone call every so often.
I would not take one even if they paid for it because again, i dont make enuff with my currect job

Meh…I get work emails after hours…If something is broke I get OT to fix it…

I do sometimes if I’m taking a long lunch. Most of the time I’ll take a look at it, decide if it can wait, and go from there.

yeah, I have my work phone for that. If it is an emergency and something needs to be fixed, someone can call me.

I have my iphone setup to get my work email but keep that account disabled most of the time. If I’m out in the field at a credit union I’ll enable it but that’s about it. I refuse to look at it after hours.

My boss has my cell number and knows that in an emergency he can call me after hours but for the most part we’re an 8-5 company.

I’ve watch people ruin their lives letting work become a 7am to 11pm gig every day because of stupid mobile email.

same here… I’m in sales and I can sell to anyone in the world, so I do get emails at odd hours and being able to reply when ever I like helps.