WTB: server

Cheap server? Anyone got something lying around they want to sell. Doesn’t need to be amazing just needs to work well.

This beast is quite old but…

Dual Pentium 3 550s Overclocked slightly
ASUS P2B Motherboard
384MB of RAM maybe more as I have extra laying around
ATI 128 All-in-Wonder TV Tuner Card or ATI 9800Pro your choice as I don’t use either one anymore.
2GB SCSI/40GB IDE Drive
DVD-ROM
SB Live! Soundcard

Good for multi-tasking, older game servers, audio, and filesharing.

The only thing that is “exotic” is the capture card, and the dual processors.

What are you trying to do with it?

Here is what it needs

A P4 class CPU
512MB ram
free PCI slot
3 3.5" internal bays
CD-ROM
Floppy drive
300 watt PSU

bump anyone?

Don’t have anything laying around but if you want help buying something I can help you…

Also you really should consider some basic backup system even if it is just disk to disk to a USB drive that you can take offsite in the event of a fire/flood. Not required or anything, just my .02 :smiley:

Those are out-dated desktop specs…just slap a server OS on it.

Its usually easier to help someone spec something if you know their objective.

Yes, I know :rx3:. But unfortunately that information was not provided. Who will be running this box? Obviously warranty and support does not matter I am assuming.

yeah, what exactly are you trying to “Serve”

I just need a way to get the data off of my server that crapped the bed and transfer it to something else…I guess i need something compatible that has the server OS on it to do it…

I just need it to do that job really nothing fancy. It doesn’t even have to work for long.

what OS?(im just being a dick now)

If you are just moving data…I am assuming files that are not being used by the OS…so why do you need a server to do this? I guess you need to be specific because this is making very little sense to all of us.

yeah i cant see why u cant just put the hdd in a different machine with the same os and recover the files. better yet, just use an external hard drive… I can help you do this on any OS. I have macs, pcs, and linux boxes.

Sorry guys, I’m good with cars not computer stuff.

My server took a shit. It holds data for files and programs here and without it I can’t even open the programs.

I need to migrate all the crap from the dead one to another one to make this work and if possible to do this someother way that doesn’t require me spending a few hundred dollars I’m all ears. Thanks :slight_smile:

Don

Okay…answer these questions:
-How many users are you supporting and what apps?
-What file types are you needing to migrate? (file extensions .exe, .dat. .xxx)
-What OS are you looking to support on this “new box”
-Are you looking for a single or dual processor machine?

:lol:

Make the sale Marcus!!!

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/enclosures/c-class/c3000/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/4191-cClassFrontview.jpg

Do it :tup:

Blades Rock BIZZZZZNACHHHHHHHH!

Can I also interest you in an EVA4100 with dual FC controllers?:pimp:

Don, you can get by with a relatively low end machine for your purposes… just make your life easier and get something with redundant hard drives (RAID of some sort), and really consider some type of removable backup for disasters.

These two things do not cost you much more over a standard machine but will save you bigtime some day.

edit: most desktop pc’s now offer these things if you spec them, you can try getting some closeouts from dell or cdw or something. I would think you could get something new for ~$500 if you really try

yeah i realize that I was looking to be a cheap bastard about it and spend less than 400 if possible. If someone had something used cool if not well I guess I bite the bullet.

Thanks guys