WTB/WTF: Small dog, Boston terrier preferred

Very well said. My girlfriend and I have a jack russel terrier. She is such a wonderful dog, very affectionate towards us, lots of energy and loves to play. She is well behaved, likes to bark but is not mean or nasty towards people or other dogs. Sometimes a little crazy but she is worth it. We too only feed her good holistic dog food. I have to say I’m a terrier lover for life now, they have the best personality and the most fun. We also have a 7month old kitten that the dog loves, they are totally best friends.

Heres my pick:

His name is Jax, hes 7 months old. Quite the handful, but thats to be expected. He is actually very well mannered and he listens good for being a stray.

Gorgeous boy! Keep with the crate training. Some people will tell you it’s not nice, but it’s awesome. Just make the crate the fun place to be and he will get used to it and love it.

Yeah, he needs the crate training. He’s trying to pee on the floor a lot so I will be working with him to prevent that. I need some more toys for him, but they are so damn expensive!

Awwww! Wat a cutie. I completely agree with the crate training, I did that with both my dogs.

Side topic - My Lab’s name is Jax! lol.

Stick with the 'indestructible toys - a black kong, a good thick tug rope, stuff like that. It’ll last longer, these dogs are very good at going through toys. I don’t even buy toys with stuffing anymore. Bully sticks are good things for them to chew, same with pig ears. Try to stay away from rawhides, they get gross fast, and can be a major choking hazard.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a good dog trainer in the Buffalo area? I am looking into Petsmart training, but this dog is very aggressive with other dogs and it kind of worries me a bit. Thanks!

I’ll get you some names from my trainer. These dogs THRIVE with positive training, you won’t get that at Petsmart.

EDIT: Found this from another thread re: dog training that I replied to :slight_smile:

Vanessa at Ruff Relations
Miranda at Purrfect Paws.
There are a few other really good people I think are in Buffalo area. Possibly Mary Penny and Paula Kelman (I don’t know the names of their businesses off-hand, but I think they are both Buffalo area…). Their contact info should be on apdt.com

Thanks for your help! I contacted the guys over at connectwithyourk9 to setup an appointment.

I checked out his website, and I gotta be honest. Any place that offers ‘intensive boot camp’ or has people carrying around horse whips in a training session scares me! And I am definitely not a fan of any trainer that uses a shock collar. That has been proven to worsen fearfulness/aggression in dogs.

My maltese started having seizures when he was only like a year old. They went away when I put him on grain free kibble. My shepherd mix used to get the shits a lot, every time we bought a new bag of “high quality” food. I did a bunch of research and switched them to Orijen brand food and all the stomach distress went away, even if we switch between “flavors.”

I agree with high quality, but you have to know what that means. No dog should eat grains (nor should people, but that’s another story) so start with grain free. From there pick your brand.

If you’re in the Buffalo area swing by treats unleashed in the northtown plaza if you want to talk to someone knowledgable about animal food. I get my Orijen from there. It’s about $70 bucks for a 30 pound bag, but it lasts a month and it’s cheaper than the vet and/or carpet cleaners.

Origen is good stuff! I should have emphasized grain free. Thanks Fry!

This thread makes me want a dog, but it doesn’t seem fair to get one when I live in an apt with no real yard.

Find a local rescue to volunteer with :slight_smile: We are ALWAYS desperate for people to help walk our many foster dogs!

What an awesome guy!! I need to post up pictures of our new little girl. :slight_smile: