WTBorrow: Radio Removal Tool

I want to take the stock head unit out of the GTO to wire in an ipod line in jack. Looking the GTO site it looks like I need a special removal tool that looks like this:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/jsears77/b88bec4c-4e68-4d59-ab08-f5c0.jpg

At first I was just going to use a wire coat hanger but then I read that the ends have a special flare and that’s what releases the stereo. Figured I’d post here before I buy a set.

I would use the wire coat hanger. That’s what I have used in the past. Sometimes the flare doesn’t matter. How much is the removel tool set?

I’ve seen radio removal tool assortment kit at wal-mart cheap (like 10 bucks) and it comes with all sorts of manufacturer removal tools.

edit: or just stop by a stereo shop and ask to borrow them for two seconds and pop it out in the parking lot real quick, then drive home and finish uninstalling it.

yeah, try cut/bent coat hangers first. Works like a charm (never have had an issue with them yet)

edit: :lol: nice XM placement, perfect fit

I’ll check walmart, or may just order them from installer.com for $10.

Once I started putting more and more music on my iPhone I knew it was only a matter of time before I got motivated enough to do this project.

EDIT:
Steve, I’ll give the coat hanger a shot tonight. :tup:

what are you doing? replacing the radio or adding a line in?

I want to take the stock head unit out of the GTO to wire in an ipod line in jack.

not only double posting today steve, but not doing much reading also huh

lol

:picard:

Thank god for this smiley
:suicide:

I have a ford radio removal tool that looks like those. Maybe the same??

I’ve gotten them at autozone for cheap before.

they rent them at autozone to

The ford radio tools that I have seen is usually for a regular DIN opening.

That looks much taller than anything I have seen before.

ford ones aren’t as spaced apart Paul.

DAMN BEATEN!!!

I was reading they don’t even recommend trying to use the ford one. …Or making your own. Apparently that could screw up the spot where the flange for the actual tool does it’s job.

yeah youre right it does look much narrower. I learned somethin new

this is true because the actual tool has the proper shape on the end for in/out operation where a completely round end could become tangled in there. For $10 i wouldn’t risk messing up a stereo that isn’t $10.

Yeah, I’m just going to order the tool for $11 from installer.com. I’ll do it tomorrow from work though since I need to watch the debate.

Thanks for all the advice.